Martin B

Pond

You know those pre-formed ponds you can get?

Well, I'm planning to put one on my allotment. I want a few fish in there and hopefully the frogs will visit my allotment and eat a few slugs and snails whilst they are there. I know some people say don't put fish in a wildlife pond but I've seen frogs in goldfish ponds before so that'll do me nicely.

I don't know alot about ponds, but I understand that it will need a regular cleaning of the junk which establishes on the bottom which shouldn't be a problem.

Can anybody reccomend any plants or anything that I could put in or around the pond?

Thanks,

Martin

If you want fish Martin, you really need a pump and filter system. If you have that, the bottom will collect debris, but shouldn't really need clearing very often - better to leave it undisturbed. We have a pond with ghost koi, breeding goldfish and orfe and it hasn't had the bottom cleared for several years (getting round to needing doing now though). We scoop it out with a net. The water gets very cloudy, but if you then do a partial water change and clean the filter it will clear up again. Frogs will hibernate over winter on the pond bottom (weird - it looks like loads of dead frogs on the bottom, but they all come alive again in spring!). If you don't put fish in, you don't need the filter. Frogs will happily set up home there. You can fill it to overflowing and rainwater will replenish it with surplus running over. May need topping up in summer though. I have an old tin bath in the garden with a water iris and water lily in it. That is also full of froggies! We get masses of frog spawn and taddies, even had a newt in there! (the pond I mean :lol: )

We have a pond in the garden, I had planned to put a solar powered pump system in there, ut the cost of one worth while was way too much :(

The pond has been there 3 years now and is as clear as a bell :D It does collect debris and leaves, but they get pulled out now and again :oops:

We have fish frogs and newts :D lots of pond plants, and leave it to it :D

karen x

If you don't want anything fancy Martin, you can use a Plasterers bath - it is heavy duty black polythene and is small bath size and shape. We used one of those at our previous house and had loads of frogs and a couple of toads.

We had irises in one corner and some small plants in the opposite one and some rocks so that birds could drink and any hedgehogs that might fall in could get out again.

You get them at the builders merchants - much cheaper than a pond liner.

Sounds like a great idea to have a pond.

We have frogs even though we don't have a pond - just a shallow bowl of water for the birds and one for the frogs! I think they live in the leaves under our beech hedge. We have had babies for the past two years too. Somone nearby must have a pond.

Can't wait to see pics of your allotment this spring Martin.

I have a pond which has goldfish breeding every year as well as the fish which begin with a 'shub' sound but I can't think how to spell it!! :oops:

We get baby fish every single year, frog and toad spawn etc.

We have no pump or filter and the water is also clear as a bell.

It has been cleaned out once in 4-5 years. I do overflow it with the hose during the spring and summer and scoop some rubbish out of the bottom.

My fish are the same age as the pond and are nice and big now.

It's all doing really well :D

We have a "pond" on our decking. It is a half whisky barrel. We lined it with a piece of thick black plastic.

We have had three goldfish living in it for 7 years :D It is partially emptied every spring and clean water put in along with a couple of bunches of an aerating plant (the type which has a small weight tied on). The pond also contains an Iris and another pond plant (forget the name).

The pond doesn't have a pump or a filter but the fish are healthy and have grown quite big over the years.

we have quite a big pond with a bridge going across it. To be honest it doesnt take up much time/work. Its been in the garden for 9 years with the same fish in it! We have 2 pumps though, and a waterfall. The water stays crystal clear and straw in bundles in the pond is excellent at combating the dreadful blanket weed. :)

We moved our three quite large (4-5inches long) goldfish out of their house and into a pond in the garden about 5 yrs ago. We dug the pond because they were unhappy and unhealthy in their tank.

We thought they would be dead before the week was out after all the effort, but not only did they thrive they also bred within the year and at the end of the first summer we came back from our holiday and my ED said 'there are baby fish in the pond' we didn't believe her but there they were lots of small fry. :D

We now have about 17 fish in our pond and they are all happy and healthy. I t made us feel bad for keeping them in their tanks for so long :(

I would recommend getting a good quality liner, we started with a cheap one and had to replace it this spring because it was leaking and even though we put back about half of the original water it took all summer to stabalise and clear properly despite a pump and filter and straw logs