........but why would you want an alternative - The Eglu is the best! :shock:

Are you sure about that? I've just been reading the thread on the Cubes leaky roofs, in fact at this moment the poll on this forum is showing that over 1/3 of Cube owners are suffering with problems. So I wouldn't like to see the worst! :D:doh:

Edited by Guest

It is true that a few cube owners have experienced the trouble you describe.

As several hundred have been sold, and many of their owners are forum members who have not voiced a complaint I think we can assume that the leaky ones are very much in the minority.

People tend not to mention it if everything is OK.

I dare say there is the odd wooden house that leaks from time to time. :lol:

Good luck with your quest.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Fair point, but the Eglu itself has no faults (that I've found yet) :) .

The Eglu's a nice little house & everybody seems happy with it ..... maybe this is because it doesn't have panels like the Cube which appear to be the cause of all of the problems, it would probably pay Omlet to make a bigger one of these as people only seem to get rid of them because they want to increase the size of their flock! :?

Isn't the cube designed for those who want to have a bigger flock? I thought the wheel thing was to make it easier to move around on the grass.

I'd love a cube but with my pocket handkerchief garden there wouldn't be room.

I think Lydia is right.

It would be quite difficult to move a larger Eglu about, and the wheels make it more like a traditional poultry "ark" or "tractor" as they seem to be called sometimes.

Having said that most people on the forum seem to have them on permanent bases.

:lol::lol::lol:

i was just trying to imaging shipping a huge eglu with parcelforce, i dont think i would be able to lift it. the box would be MASSIVE!!!!! :shock:

A huge eglu would look really cool though in the garden, i really love the eglu shape, the cube just doesnt have the same character. you are right the eglu doesnt have any faults it is a perfect hen house. omlet will tweek out the small problems with the cube. i did hunt around for a great hen house before i bought anything and the eglu is fairly unique and is soooooo easy to maintain.

We've got a cube and a wooden ark and the cube wins hands down every time. It's easier to clean, easier to empty out, open up and I'm sure the ark must be draftier (although the girls haven't said anything :wink: ) Also our ark is plain old boring wood (can't paint it as it's borrowed) and the cube is FUNKY ORANGE!! 8)

I would definitely go for an Omlet product if you can afford it, the Eglu isn't much more than a wooden house when you add up all the other bits and pieces

Mrs Bertie

I find the Cube superior in every way to the Eglu, and am only holding on to my old Eglu until I can afford a second Cube!

The Cube and run are so light and airy, and it seems much more hygienic having the house off the ground. And it is a much better use of space.

The hens have so much more scope, and you can keep large breeds.

The Eglu itself is attractive, but the run wastes space and looks like a dingy polytunnel when covered.

I dunno about the cube being easier to move around. I don't have a run on mine and its still REALLY hard work to move it around the grass - the wheels don't really make it easy.