FORENSICA

My cat used a human toilet..

Nothing interesting about that, since we spent few months teaching them that but soon after they decided to use garden instead. The funny bit is, that he has been using the garden for more then a year till today.

The reason is that he is terrified of our new chickens (got them yesterday) and was probably holding it all night :shock::D I can't believe what an amazing memory the cat has! :lol: I hope that he will get used to the hens soon :roll:

HOw do you start training them to do it?

We used The litter kwitter. It worked a treat ;-) Our cats were about 2 years old, and it took Asterix about a month and Obelix about three (he is not very sharp, bless). I can only recommend it. Here is one picture from the process http://bandv.hopto.org/gallery/Home/DSCF3006

It is excellent, since there is no smell and they don't have to walk in the dirty litter. Like that, you just go and flush and done ;-)

:shock: - is there anything we can't learn about on this forum??? :lol:

A pity we can't train the semi-feral cats to use the outside loo - they are using empty veggie plots :evil:

They just love the fluffy fresh earth don't they :evil: The only trick is put a net on the veg patch as I am doing against my cats. But I guess that it works only for small gardens.

Well it looks convincing, thanks for the link! My cat absolutely refuses to use a litter tray, though, so I'd have a job to train him.

He is very clean, just prefers to go outside - when I moved house, and had to keep him indoors for a bit, he howled and howled and then used a corner of the kitchen :evil: so I relented and let him out after only a day. I don't think he would ever use the red bowl long enough to learn.

If I ever have another kitten though, I might try this.

Olly, you are right. The only way for the toilet training to work is to do not provide any other more pleasant means of toilet. As soon as we let our cats outside, they started using outdoors and that was the end of toilet indoors. We don't mind it since it is much better then conventional cat litter which is stinky a unhygienic.

I don't know if I'd have the patience it would be like potty training all over again and I hated that :roll:

It was not so bad.As soon as they learn that the cat litter is now at the loo, they use it happily. Only the few days when you make the hole bigger they are rather cautious.

I did look at those for a while, mainly cause with five cats it would save us a lot of litter... but I can't help worrying that one of the cats might fall in, especially if it'd happen at a time when we are not home for immediate rescue...

With five cats too, some of whom get huffy about outdoors,I'd love to, but I think my husband would be really really unhappy about it. Any more unhappy than dealing with our currently chronically incontinent cat with diarrhoea, I don't know of course. I don't think the girls would manage when they're in kitten, it makes them a bit clumsy. Evie fell out of a window when she was pregnant, which she would never do normally.

Nero pooed on me in bed this morning. I woke up, covered in kitten diarrhoea. This just isn't fair. so far I've tried Sensible 33, no food, organic food, james wellbeloved, prokaolin paste, ten days of antibiotics from the vet and now I'm trying diarrhoea tablets just in case that works. He's had the runs for a month. His bottom actually got scalded by it at one point, and he had to have two different kinds of antibiotics and steroid cream to clear up the infection on his botty. Otherwise, he's really well and I don't want the vet to stick things up him or do unnecessarily invasive things to him, but I'm not sure how much longer I can cope with a cat who pooes on me three or four times a day, and all over the house the rest of the time. It's not like he doesn't use the litter trays, he does, but sometimes he seems to have no control over it. Cleo was a bit like this when she was nursing her last litter, which makes me think I've decided to propogate a breed which has a tendency to colitis or something.

Sorry for thread hijacking. It was a rotten way to wake up.