Phosphorus

Beginnings of run in snow piccies

Looking good! :D

Is the base paving? Is that the best thing to out under the run especially with regard to foxes? I've been wondering what should go under a walk-in run, and was thinking paving/concrete seemed like the best thing as a fox wouldn't be able to dig under it...

Also, you know how the Eglu run has a sort of skirt thing... Has anyone used the same idea on the base of their walk-in runs to stop foxes.

Edited by Guest

We have paving slabs around our run to deter foxes though we were going to bury wire, slabs seemed easier. There is just soil underneath with Aubiose/wood chip on to give them something to scratch in.

Mind you the slabs are just resting on the grass not laid yet :x

Thanks Bronze :D I was just about to try the right clicking and then saw you had already put them up for me :wink:

Don't think anymore is happening today -and we have just had a big family Easter Lunch so very much doubt it.

Next step is bracing the corners (the structure is on a slope) and putting some concrete around the edges - the slabs are currently on sand and soil. Only reason for the slabs at bottom of the run is that we have clay soil and it would become a mudbath very quickly :cry: DH is going to fix the weld mesh to the outside and then concrete it into the bottom as well (by taking the mesh underneath the frame at the bottom). He thinks that should put set to Mr. Foxes ideas :D

We have a big garden so it actually doesn't take up much of it surprisingly - frame is 3m by 4m apparantly per DH.

Apparantly we now have to paint it :D

Andrea

Looking great Phosphorus! 8)

Mine has a mixture of slabs on the outside where it meets the patio, then where it joins the flower beds I've put some slabs on the inside. I've kept mine on dirt mainly with aubiose on top. They love to dig massive craters in it and have communal dustbaths. Sometimes they even get some worms and bugs! 8)

We have paving slabs around our run to deter foxes though we were going to bury wire, slabs seemed easier. There is just soil underneath with Aubiose/wood chip on to give them something to scratch in.

Mind you the slabs are just resting on the grass not laid yet :x

II seem to recall there was a thread on here late last year about the need for wire or paving around the run.

I believe a comment was made at that time that foxes may be wiley but when they dig they do so at the base of a fence/structure so the burying of a strip of netting or the laying of a line of paving drectly at the base of the run will fool them.

My Eglu and it's run is laid on paving slabs to deter vermin digging up under it, the open run to which it is attached is just earth which I augment from time to time to give them something to occupy them.

They dig huge craters (Shh, Zey haf an Escape Committe you know.) and dust baths everywhere. Sometimes we find Blossom almost completely submerged with just her head and neck visible. She used to be white!

There is a paved path around 2 sides and a hedge and fence along the other.