Muppet81 Posted March 28, 2008 Share Posted March 28, 2008 Scooby - I think the total number re-homed today was 324 Adele and her team also re-homed around 300 on Wednesday Poet - I understand that you adopted Bea. How wonderful. I met Bea at Adele's last rescue. What a little sweetie she is! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
SLK69 Posted March 28, 2008 Share Posted March 28, 2008 Me and the chooks are exhausted - Fluffy 3 6000 laid her first freedom egg enroute poor thing (it's two tone and massive ) - obviously we don't know for sure but son said it was and he's 6 so it must be true. Have no pics yet, it was quite dull when I got home - but was pleased they all survived the journey, have put them to bed in the cube with a dish of water, it was hard to leave them outside really want to bring them indoors and see if they want to watch a bit of telly with me? Was a great experience to see so many chooks going to good homes after such a rubbish start to their lifes - felt quite emotionally but managed to to hug any random strangers. Was fab to meet 'scoobie' + OH b 4 hand - not sure what they thought as I kept saying "I'm so excited" and grinning not mature behaviour at all. Anyhoo off to bed now am exhausted with all this excitement and need to be up early tomorrow to attend to my girls! Susie x Fluffy 3 6000 Fluff Lee Nugget Henny Penny ? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
littleredhen Posted March 28, 2008 Share Posted March 28, 2008 We got our four girlies today from the Haslingden rescue, I would also like to thank Adele and all other helpers who organised the rescue they did a fantastic job. The girls seem to have settled in okay, they have eaten and drunk quite a lot already and were straight up on their perches. I wish we had a hencam installed so that I could check up on them, hopefully they are asleep now, lets hope the weather is better tomorrow so they can have a scratch around in their run. Their new lives start here. Debbie Betty McCluckie Baby-O Bridget Dorothy Parker the ex-batt girls Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sarah B Posted March 28, 2008 Share Posted March 28, 2008 These are the first rescue pics I have seen - bit gobsmacked. I think it's so wonderful that people on the forum can give these poor hens a really good home - I would love to but it's no go with OH, current run, the fact I work and erm money. Maybe it's something we can look at doing in time to come? I think it's wonderful what you are doing and thank you for showing the pics - it's food for thought. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
susanbb Posted March 28, 2008 Share Posted March 28, 2008 So glad to hear that they have settled in and gone to bed they obviously feel at home More piccies please and keep us updated Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chelsea Posted March 28, 2008 Share Posted March 28, 2008 the yellow eglus is gorgeous. Well done Eglutine, those girls are very lucky to have you as chook mum. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ms Tilytinkle Posted March 28, 2008 Share Posted March 28, 2008 Ah bless you, your heart & bless your ladies. Congratulations, they're beautiful - enjoy, enjoy , enjoy maybe even as much as they will enjoy their new home. How lovely. Ms Tilyjustadoreschooks:) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted March 28, 2008 Share Posted March 28, 2008 What lovely girls Egluntine. From what I can see, they look in fairly good state too. They'll soon be running around and doing chickeny things What did Him Indoors say? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted March 28, 2008 Share Posted March 28, 2008 Ahh, well done Egluntine! They look lovely! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clive Posted March 28, 2008 Share Posted March 28, 2008 Nice chicks hope ours look as good on sunday hope to post photos when we get them home. Looking at the growing number of Sheffield Omleteers we perhaps need a Sheffield mini forum any comments welcome. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted March 28, 2008 Share Posted March 28, 2008 Only just noticed this post . Congratulations, Egluntine (and everyone who rescued some girlies!). That picture of them all huddled together is heartwrenching - thank goodness they've got lovely new homes (I hope they all did?) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted March 28, 2008 Author Share Posted March 28, 2008 Yes they did...there were no spares. I took an extra box in case there were any left over...but there weren't. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
moomin Posted March 29, 2008 Share Posted March 29, 2008 Looking at the growing number of Sheffield Omleteers we perhaps need a Sheffield mini forum any comments welcome. You can't have a Sheffield Mini Forum 'cos we'd all miss Egluntine!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted March 29, 2008 Author Share Posted March 29, 2008 There was an egg in the nesting box this morning!! I had it on a fried egg sandwich. TBH....the white has that "supermarket egg" texture......a bit of decent grub will alter that hopefully. They are totally bemused at their new surroundings, and are gazing around in wonderment. It is rather touching to observe. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
SLK69 Posted March 29, 2008 Share Posted March 29, 2008 WOW - have 3 eggs already - not sure if we can eat them as I feel they are still battery sad eggs. one weighed a whooping 76gr. It's a fantastic thing Adele does rescuing these chooks and then inviting hords of folk in to pick them up and being so kind and patient as they sort out the mini traffic jam. Thank you Adele and co. for organising this, and giving these chooks a happy retirement. Well done. Susie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MedusA Posted March 29, 2008 Share Posted March 29, 2008 Sorry, I wasn't online last night so missed this until now. How brilliant, Egluntine! Your girls sound fabulous and look so cutely scruffy (meant nicely, not a criticism) . I'm sure they are loving their new, yellow, home. I guess adjustment takes a while but how sweet that they took themselves to bed. It's amazing how quickly their innate behaviour surfaces, once they taste freedom. I am so proud to be part of a forum that cares so much and does so much for the welfare of defenceless creatures. Well done everyone! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted March 29, 2008 Share Posted March 29, 2008 I am so proud to be part of a forum that cares so much and does so much for the welfare of defenceless creatures. Well done everyone! Hear hear . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
superjules Posted March 29, 2008 Share Posted March 29, 2008 Well done Egluntine and everyone else involved. They truly couldn't be in better hands. I'm sure you'll have great fun watching them enjoy all their new expeiences over the next few weeks. It must be so rewarding. Hope they settle in well. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted March 29, 2008 Author Share Posted March 29, 2008 Thanks everyone for your lovely messages. The girls are all eating and drinking now, and have each laid an egg. They enjoy scratching around in the Aubiose. One thing I have noticed about them is how feeble and high pitched their voices are compared to the other girls. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
superjules Posted March 29, 2008 Share Posted March 29, 2008 Oh bless them - I'm sure they'll find their voices soon. I bet they'll be scratching around and dustbathing for England tomorrow, making up for lost time. It makes me sad to think about their past- but they'll have great futures. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted March 29, 2008 Share Posted March 29, 2008 Poet - I understand that you adopted Bea. How wonderful. I met Bea at Adele's last rescue. What a little sweetie she is! we did, she's a darling Here she is...on a cushion in our conservatory. http://www.liverpoolpoet.talktalk.net/bea2070308.jpg Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
nicki9 Posted March 30, 2008 Share Posted March 30, 2008 congratulations, they look adorable. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Abbey Road Girl Posted March 30, 2008 Share Posted March 30, 2008 You must keep us up to the minute about your girls' progression from being (un)feathered slaves to being happy pampered beauties, Egluntine. (But then if anyone would, it would be you!) Now I see why people love yellow eglus...great pics and I love the Strictly names! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted March 30, 2008 Author Share Posted March 30, 2008 My daughter chose the names. (She's 26!) We are both massive SCD fans though, so I was happy to go along with it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Abbey Road Girl Posted March 30, 2008 Share Posted March 30, 2008 My daughter chose the names. (She's 26!) We are both massive SCD fans though, so I was happy to go along with it. Too bad you're probably not allowed to keep a cockrel in Sheffield. Would he be an Anton or maybe a Darren? I'm also thinking Flavia's husband but the name escapes me--have started to have "senior moments!" Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...