Jenny Smedley

Warning Re Foxes

Jenny, I can fully understand why you were so upset. I would have cried my eyes out. So sorry to hear what happened. I hope people will take your message and learn from your experience.

Well done for being pro-active and phoning the BHWT. You will give a good home to some hens that really need it.

Hi Jenny,

I know from bitter experience what a horrible time you must be going through. Losing your pets is bad enough, but the feeling of guilt is almost unbearable :(.

In my case, I forgot to put the egg hatch door back on our Eglu in the morning, and didn't notice when I locked the main door at night. I *still* can't understand how I made such a stupid mistake...

Needless to say, a fox had all my girls the same night. Up until then we didn't even think foxes came into our garden.

We decided to get some new chickens though, mainly because our garden seemed completely lifeless without them. Things aren't the same now, as we don't dare let them free-range, which is a real shame. But, we had a lovely secured walk-in run built for them and they get plenty of supervised free-ranging when we're home. We bought a Foxwatch too, hoping it will deter night time visits.

So, I'm glad you are getting some more chickens, as I'm sure they'll be very happy in your garden, and they'll make you feel much better too.

/\dam

I am so sorry to hear you lost all your girls, Jenny. That is so sad. Please don't blame yourself. We all live and learn from experience when it comes to hard lessons, don't we? I lost one of my girls to a fox last year, so can empathise to some degree.

I would definitely recommend a fully enclosed run, with roof, when you get more girls.

*hugs*

I'm so sorry, I've lost hens twice in 6 months they disappeared without a trace at first, then Mr fox killed 3 of the 4 when I was in the poly tunnel right next to them, i only let them out when I'm standing right there (eglu) but you are right a roof is in order, its something that I have been thinking about, putting up a walk in run with a mesh and clear corregated plastic roof

Jenny, so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my 2 girls last night and am gutted. My OH is away with work and I rang him in a state on his mobile to tell him. I think the only word he could make out was fox and chickens. He had to guess the rest. I think he understood how upset I was though as hesent his mum round to make sure i was OK.

I let mine free range whilst keeping an eye on them from the house. I hadn't realised how quick a fox could be. He carried both my girls away with only a trace of feathers and an empty run left. I certainly won't make that mistake again - but what an awful lesson to learn.

Like you i'm considering ex-batts for my next chickens but not after i've built a new larger run so I don't feel guilty about them not free ranging unless i'm actually in the garden and bought a foxwatch.

I can't imagine how awful it must have been for you to discover the carnage left behind. My heart goes out to you and your girls.

Hi everyone , What a difference a week makes : after I lost my girls ( see warning re foxes) to the fox on a Tues evening ( and nothing will ever replace them) I put myself on the waiting list for some ex battery hens. I was told some may be available at the end of May. I figured that that would be ideal - a bit of time to get over things. Only a few days later , on the Sunday morning I received a telephone call from BHWT: " We've had an emergency rescue of 2,000 hens - would you like 6?" . My instinct was to say "No - I'm not ready- it's only a week" but I'm so glad I didn't . There is still a big hole in my heart but the pleasure these girls ( all 6 are ginger & yet to be named) with their bald patches, extra long nails that had to be clipped & strange method of walking have given me has gone a long way towards helping. They are taking up a lot of time, which in a way is a good thing - they can't climb so I'm having to lift them up & down the cube ladder etc. I hope "my girls" approve. Re the fox - as expected he/she returned - probabely to retrieve the carcasses left behind but what stunned me was the fox returned at 11 am whilst I was in the garden!

Hi Jenny, what great news that you've rescued 6 lucky girls :D . I think you're right to have done that - as you say, you're not replacing your poor lost girls, but giving a new life to some deserving ex-batts.

What a nerve that fox has - that must have given you a shock, seeing him in broad daylight :shock: . At least you're forewarned now. Have you sorted out a roof for your run? (sorry if you've already posted that :? )

I really think people on this forum should not recommend leaving the Eglu and Cube doors open at night without a lot of provisos. It may be safe where they are, but it is a very dangerous thing to do if you are troubled by foxes and haven't got extra fox protection.

The Eglu and Cube have been designed to be totally fox-proof, but only when closed. Otherwise they are literally an open invitation to foxes at night.

The confusion in this sad situation is that the fox climbed over a small wire fence into a run with no roof. Those of us who advocate leaving the eglu (in my case) door open at night do so believing the eglu run to be secure.

A fox can enter an enclosure through a very small gap or over a very high fence. I am content that the risk I take in leaving my hens overnight in the confines of a well weighted down eglu run is relatively small

Jo