Jenny Smedley

Warning Re Foxes

What a shock you must have had! I'm really sorry for you - I too would be devastated if that happened to my chocks.

I do make sure they're all tucked in at night and close the doors, but I like them to run around a bit in their 'garden' during the day. Someone told me foxes also go hunting during the day, even in busy areas like Milton Keynes! It's very worrying as we all like to see them happily pecking and scratching in the garden...

I'm going to ask all my male friends to 'wee' around the hens area... it seems the male urine smell acts as a good fox deterrent.

I'm not the earliest of risers either (I get very very tired sometimes, no medical explanation), but I'm no longer going to feel guilty if they're not let out by 6:30 every day. (Plus they've got food and water in the eglu AND on the shed).

Have a big hug from me - and look forward to the next lucky ladies that will be joining you in the near future.

So, so sorry Jenny - what an awful discovery. Unfortunately foxes can scale 6' or more with ease - I've seen this happen so often in my last garden, where I often found the fox asleep in the middle of the day in the flower-border.

Urban foxes are fearless and determined. Don't blame yourself though - lots of us leave the door of the Eglu/Cube open for exactly the same reasons as you. I would recommend getting a roof on your run, because this could just as easily have happened in the daytime. This is a peak time for foxes because they have cubs to feed.

I do hope you will get some more chickens.

we've done everything we can to make our run/coop fox proof and we always close the coop door and lock the run door and the nest box at night and when we're not there but I still worry about them. OH thought I was mad asking him to screw locks and bolts to every possible opening and he gave me a bit of a hard time about it, saying I was paranoid!

I always feel very sad when I read about someone's chickens being got at by a fox.

you just can't be too careful really.

very sad indeed

xxx

Dear Jenny,

I am so sorry to hear about your loss, i can't even imagine the heartache you must be feeling. Bless you. Many thoughts & prayers are with you. Hope you have some good friends who will share your loss, ease the pain with loving care, surround you in warmth & support. .. and when you OH sees how hurt your heart is, he immediately fits a secure roof for you & surprises you with 6 chickens, not to replace the ones taken but to remind you of how much joy you give to them & they bring to you.

The love & legacy of your other girls remain.

Bless you.

Ms Tillyshearthurtsforyourloss

Sorry to hear your sad news. I would be just as devastated as you. :cry:

When you say you left the door open, you mean the CUBE door, or the GATE to the run?

So sorry to hear of your loss. How devastating. We've only had our hens just over a week and we'd be horrified if this happened.

We assume that yu have a cube and the run you've made... without an Omlet run? This would help clarify the risks.

Jenny, I am so so sorry to hear about your beloved chickens. Foxes are very determined, especially at this time of year when they have young to feed, so you must not blame yourself. You have obviously done everything you thought possible to keep your girls safe.

I have been all round the run & there are no holes or burrows in the grass & the wooden gate was still locked - the only way was over so he must have scaled a 66 inch high fence . The hens were all inside the cube but the door was open a couple of ins & all the carnage was inside the cube. ( One was buried in neighbours garden , two left dead inside the cube & the other 3 taken away by the fox) If my neighbour 2 doors down ( a postman on his way to work @ 5am) hadn't knocked my door to say he had a half buried chicken in his garden but had woken me up as he was worried about my chickens as he was sure the buried one was one of mine , I'd never have known as I walked down to the cube @ 8am. It was just as if they'd all slept in as none were out feeding etc. No feathers or anything outside. The answer is LOCK THE DOOR AT NIGHT and FIT A ROOF, which is what I shall do soon , when I'm ready to have girls again , which I will I'm sure in time. I've just read the post about the chicken who survived a fox attack on Sunday - I'm so glad & it made me feel a little less despairing that the fox always wins. Jenny

Foxwatch is a sonic repellent - anything passing in front triggers a high-pitched sound which only foxes can hear. It's supposed not to bother dogs, but some people have posted on here that their dogs were affected by it.

Since I got mine, I no longer see the fox in the garden - prior to that I used to find pawprints on the Eglu and scat in the grass around it. I would not rely on it totally, but I definitely think it has put him off using my garden as one of his regular routes.

Take a look here

Jenny, I was so sad to read that you'd lost all six of your lovely girls. How devastating for you. We can all totally understand how upset you must be feeling - I'm sure every single one of us would feel just the same.

I hope you feel ready soon to get some more girls to help you get over it and that you manage to get your run secured so you don't constantly worry.

Best wishes.

Jenny I am so so sorry to hear what you have been through. Just hold onto the thought that while they were with you you gave them a wonderful home and many happy days.

PLease make sure your run and roof are made out of inch by inch 16g weld mesh. A fox can chew through anything lighter (ie. 19g chicken wire). And a roof is a must. It only needs to be a flat one across (ie most basic)so OH won't even notice it. Having been through the scare of a fox only Sunday (and nothing at all compare to your devastating loss, which puts mine in complete perspective) I can confirm that they are more agile than we give them credit for. The one in my garden scaled a sheer 6ft concrete wall before my eyes.

Once again big hugs.

Jenny: I am sorry to hear what happened.

I really think people on this forum should not recommend leaving the Eglu and Cube doors open at night without a lot of provisos. It may be safe where they are, but it is a very dangerous thing to do if you are troubled by foxes and haven't got extra fox protection.

The Eglu and Cube have been designed to be totally fox-proof, but only when closed. Otherwise they are literally an open invitation to foxes at night.

Jenny, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved chooks. I can feel the emotion in your words. I would also be devastated if I lost one of mine to Mr Fox. I have been becoming complacent recently letting mine freerange in the garden while I'm in the house, but this is a timely reminder that it simply isn't worth it, so thank you for that.

I hope you do feel strong enough to get some more ladies soon. Big hugs.

Jenny, I am also so sorry to hear of your terrible loss. You have managed to express so well the tragedy that we would all feel. :(:(

Do you have a run for the cube? My big pen has a roof on it, but we used to keep the eglu run attached as well. With the eglu door closed I felt we then had 3 layers of protection but in the summer I could leave the eglu door open but the eglu run door closed. Then the hens could get up but only into a confined space until I got up. It might be an idea you haven't thought of which would assist your early morning problem.

We are still closing the eglu doors but getting up at 6am every day to let them out. Then I go straight back to bed! :lol: It'll be better when DD2+3 go back to school next week - the hens can wait for them!

I am always frightened of a fox attack especially at this time of year. A foxwatch does help I'm sure and as someone else said male urine definitely deters them. Nothing can be relied upon though. :evil:

So sorry to hear about your girls,I have lost 2 girls in the past to a fox whilst they were out free ranging during the day.The second occasion i came face to face with a him with poor little Priscilla in his mouth,he didnt even run away when I yelled at him.

I hope you soon have some new girls to love.

Hi everyone , Thank you all for you good wishes - I've decided to be proactive & am in the process of getting a foxwatch & have emailed my local BHWT co-ord to talk about re-homing 6 ex batts . That's not to say I'm forgetting all about my girls & just replacing them , I just feel that I miss them & enjoyed them so much that I want to give that to some other chooks , particularly ex batts who need it so much . I had ex batts 20 yrs ago so I know how much TLC they will need , particularly in the early stages , but that will be good & keep me occupied. I fully take on board what gallina says about not leaving the eglu/cube door open & am in the process of sorting out a strong flat roof, but I truly thought my own set up was secure & I was actually helping my girls get out asap in the morning etc. It may be worth something being included in the Omlet guide as from the posts , it's obvious that lots of people do it. I've even come across some people who have had their chooks attacked through the Eglu run mesh! Just to clarify , I'm not having a go at anyone , & believe me , I've well and truly learnt my lesson, but it is worth publicising the dangers as lots of do it , particularly in the summer. Jenny