redhotchick

No Water, No Gas. Not happy

National Grid have been replacing the mains and the connections to each meter in my street. After a week of not knowing which day they would come on , they called me in work and I got my mum to let them in. They gave me an after 6 o'clock slot to reconnect me. So I rushed home from work, the man came shortly after 6, very efficient. However he has found a leak to my boiler and has left my gas turned off at the mains. No one can come and fix it till tomorrow. So I've got no hob, no cooker and no hot water.

In fact no water, because the same people who are working in the street have hit a water main, a 30 ft geyser apparently! this was at 12 o'clock and no one can tell me when it's coming back on. My water reserves are very very low. Half a tall bin full in the garden. Chickens and cat come first. Then courgettes and tomato plants.

How many people out there have got combi boilers and done away with their water reserves? I've no cold water tank, and no hot water cylinder. Not good.

Poor you :( We have been in a similar situation and have a combi boiler. OH ended up going down to the harbour with buckets to collect sea water :lol: for flushing the loo :shock: Strange to see bits of seaweed floating in the toilet :lol:

Hope you get re connected soon.

Argh when i read this it brought back memories.

We had no water, bathroom or toilet for 9 months with a 3 month old baby at the time.

We've never had heating in this house from jan 06 until jan 08 this year. We have a boiler now :)

Im glad our house is almost perfect, i wouldnt want to go through it again. I hope your gas stays on. :D

We had no water, bathroom or toilet for 9 months with a 3 month old baby at the time.

We've never had heating in this house from jan 06 until jan 08 this year. We have a boiler now :)

Im glad our house is almost perfect, i wouldnt want to go through it again. I hope your gas stays on. :D

Oh my goodness Fairy&cake! How did you cope?

My boiler has been in 4 years. If I'm still in this house in another 3 or 4 years I'll be doing a major refurb. Boilers and water storage generally will be given careful consideration!

I've never really thought of that side of having a combi boiler, our boiler is as old as the house about 22 years so will need replacing very soon, we will have to think carefully.

All this reminds me of the 3 weeks that we had last summer with no water, a hot bath has never felt so good :roll:

Oh my goodness Fairy&cake! How did you cope?

My boiler has been in 4 years. If I'm still in this house in another 3 or 4 years I'll be doing a major refurb. Boilers and water storage generally will be given careful consideration!

We had 70 Litres of water delivered every week, and Seth and I stayed in a Hotel for he first 6 months [Grandadused to own a huge one] and ross looked after the project 9-5 and joined us in the evenings. However after that, we had water, but no bathroom. Seth had a little plastic bath that we used to fill and empty and ross and i had a Solar shower outside! :)

Worth it though, as we've allmost paid off our morgage and made £80k in a year. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Although *edit : Its been hard work! And determination.

And an AWFUL lot of planning. hehe