daisymay

stalosan f and what to put in the run

Hi

Yet another question!!! My chickens are kept on grass but I have decided not to more the eglu/run as they are freeranging for most of the time. I can't believe how much damage they're done to the area of the garden that I fenced off for them in just over 4 weeks. :roll: . It is now a mud bath after the horrible rain all day/night yesterday

I have been reading about staolsan f and just wondered exactly what you do with it and whether it is necessary...

Also, bearing in mind I am not moving the run should I be putting anything down in there. Like I said they are freeranging from 7.30am everyday and normally ony go into the run at bedtime or to feed from the grub. There are however occasions when I do have to lock them in - when we are away for the day or the very odd weekend. Will they be ok on the mud/tiny bit of grass that can survive or should I consider putting something down on the floor for these occasions?

2 questions sorry but thought I'd try and get it all out of the way in one go :lol:

Hi Daisymay

Stalosan is fantastic. It kills the nasties and also helps keep the pong down (which in the warm weather can still happen even if you poo pick everyday!)

here is what we do - every week, when we do a full clean, we put the aubiose into the poo trays and mix in some Barrier red mite powder and some Stalosan into it. Keeps it smelling sweet, and also hygienic. we still poo pick everyday though.

As for the run. Well we have a walk in run, but the principle is the same. The grass does go in minutes and mud and earth will reign supreme! So, our run area is topped with aubiose and that seems to 'swallow' up the poo(ugh sorry). We clean this out fully every 4 weeks or so. When we do we sprinkle the Stalosan all around the run before putting down a new layer of aubiose. Some people have slabbed their area first, but we personally haven't. Again the Stalosan helps keep the run area hygienic and kills off some of the nasties.

HTH!

Hi

Thanks for your speedy reply. Your routine sounds excellent. Wow what a lovely mixed bag of girls you have. I would've liked a proper mixed bag but was too impatient so grabbed what I could when I went to omlet!!! :wink::lol:

Think I might head down the hemcore type route for when we are away so will get planning. Think some stalosan is heading our way!!

My husband is going to kill me as I sold the chickens idea as a cheap way of getting eggs....so far i think i've spent more than what our holiday to devon cost on them!! :roll::lol:

My husband is going to kill me as I sold the chickens idea as a cheap way of getting eggs....so far i think i've spent more than what our holiday to devon cost on them!! :roll::lol:

Glad to have been of help :D

I try not to tot it up anymore because it is frightening :shock: although the eggs we shell covers the cost of the feed. I think it is the initial outlay that is the worst.

I must admit I do love my technicolur chooks. The trouble is I am having to be really really strong-willed to not get anymore.... I have the room, but I also have a bully, and I really really don't need anymore. Not that need was ever a factor in any of this :roll: and I have found some local who breeds Araucanas and the like ... :whistle:

well I know that you do not need to remove the chickens when you are spreading it about, although obviously ours are pottering around outside when we use it.

This is some of the info on web about it

"Stalosan F is a hygiene product for all animal housing. It was developed 35 years ago, as a far-sighted concept , whereby a simple combination of known bactericidal properties are combined together so that they reinforce each others effect......

Stalosan is a must for the Poultry Keeper and is a effective product against the spread of infection.

A sample of what Stalosan F is effective against:

Bacteria - Including Salmonella, Coliform Bacteria, Streptococcus Uberis and Staphylococcus Aureus.

Fungi - 100% effective against: Aspergillus Mucor, Fusarium and Alternaria.

Parasites - Coccidia, Fly Larvae, Intestinal Roundworms.

Environment - Ammonia (The only effective remedy), Hydrogen Sulphide (The bad smells disappear), Moisture (Dry out the stable floor)."

and

"Stalosan F is a unique broad spectrum disinfectant recommended for use in all livestock housing.

Stalosan F improves the environment and health status by ongoing disinfection and has widely proven efficacy.

Stalosan F is a powder applied in livestock housing to prevent infection and improve the atmosphere around the animals. The health and growth of the animals and feed utilisation are all improved.

Stalosan F absorbs humidity, reduces ammonia, hydrogen sulphide and other noxious gas and prevents urease activity.

Stalosan F is a disinfectant effective against pathogenic microorganism, bacteria, fungi and viruses.

Stalosan F is particularly recommended where there is a high risk of infection for example with young stock and intensive livestock.

Stalosan F is in powder form and recommended usage is 50g per square metre, about a handful.

Do not mix Stalosan F with other products."

Sorry I don't know about the compost question etc although I do shove it all into the compost bin or my green recycling bin :oops: - which is apparently turned into compost in a matter of weeks (well it's all compostable and chicken poo is great for gardens!)

Info about composting with Stalosan F:

I'd been merrily putting the bedding (with stalosan F) into our compost heap, until my OH asked if I was sure it was OK for composting. Anyway, although I know others compost it with no problems, I e-mailed the manufacturer's yesterday evening (a Saturday), and got a reply this morning (impressive).

Here's the manufacturer's answer about composting bedding with Stalosan F and also about putting it onto vegetable beds:

We have tested the effect of Stalosan F on the composting process and was unable to see any difference from non-treated to Stalosan F treated bedding. If there is a small difference between the two groups, it will be in favour of the Stalosan F treated bedding, by an increased composting process. The effect of Stalosan F is much more than just a direct kill of bugs. We know now that it is much more about the change of the animal environment to a more healthy level. We have also shown that Stalosan F, when spread on crops will increase the crop yield significantly. This product is also sold today under a different name. So you should not worry about the effect on your vegetables.

J