Guest revnev

distressing funeral..

Having had, sadly, to arrange funerals for both my parents ... it really, really helped that my mum had talked about hers years before and been very clear about what music she wanted. It made it much easier!

We wanted it to be a celebration of her life, not of her death. We wrote a bit about her life which the vicar read out. I got the family photobox out, and we had pinboards at the reception with photos of her from a baby right through to recent years - caused huge entertainment, especially with older relatives ("ooh look - that's Vi and Daphne ...") and photocopies of things like school certificates and programmes from amateur dramatic plays that she'd been in.

I wanted people to know her as she had been, not just as an old lady. It was a great party - I wish she'd been there to enjoy it. :(

I know I'm going to have a difficult time when it comes to arranging my parents' funerals. My mum has repeatedly and vehemently demanded that no-one attends her funeral except my dad, myself and my brother. She also doesn't want anything said by anybody.

I feel I will have to respect her wishes but I also feel it's unfair that we won't be able to have support from our families. It's most unlikely there will be more than a couple of people at her funeral for her but there are a number of people who would come to support myself and my brother (including my husband).

If my dad goes first, I suspect she'll make the same demands.

Do I respect her wishes or do what's best for those of us that are left behind?

Edited by Guest

Have you asked your Dad how he would like?

Not an easy subject to raise, but it would be handy to have a bit of a steer when the time comes.

I think I'll donate my body to medical science, that way there will be no arguments and at least a handful of medical students will have a laugh.

FIL had planned the music for his, which was a big help; being a huge Elvis fan he was carried out of Church to 'American Trilogy'. It wouldn't have been my choice but it was perfect for him!

My Mum and Dad have started laying plans for what they would like and we all joke about it - I think it's much healthier than having an impersonal funeral arranged at the time when you may be least able to cope with the idea.

My cousins' grandmother (on the other side of their family from mine) was a delightful lady who never missed a concert, show, school play, or anything else they ever did. They planned and conducted her funeral with performances of all her favourite music, poetry and drama, together with everyone's happy memories of her. It was an absolute joy - the funeral directors said it was the happiest funeral they'd ever attended.

One of my close friends died 3 years ago, and the last song was I Believe by Savage Garden

I love that song too! DD and I are real "Cabbage Garden" fans, much to the disgust of my OH. What a great song to have at your funeral! :)

have heard that at a funeral.... (I think it's called "Affirmation")

"I did it my way" is very popular, as is "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" (the Eva Cassidy version - which is surely definitive) and i've heard "Always look on the bright side of life" quite a number of times :)

because of Rainbow's now over-popularity, if I were to have an Eva Cassidy track, it would be her much better and less-well-known cover of "Autumn Leaves" - cos I love the Autumn...

for those that haven't heard it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSXYu-3r1S8

it's one of those tracks that I simply have to stop what I'm doing and listen - my eldest son ticked me off the other day for playing it loud in the sitting room very loud 5 or 6 times on a loop and trying to sing along... :oops:

it was SUCH a tragedy she died so young... simply awesome...

(I will also have it if the missus pre-deceases me - regardless of what she wants!)

Phil

One of my close friends died 3 years ago, and the last song was I Believe by Savage Garden

I love that song too! DD and I are real "Cabbage Garden" fans, much to the disgust of my OH. What a great song to have at your funeral! :)

Phil

Oh,I know that one now..great track!

*Toddles off to download it on itunes*

(I will also have it if the missus pre-deceases me - regardless of what she wants!)

Phil

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well, you're unlikely to get found out, Phil!

Didn't Spike Milligan have 'I told you I was ill' on his headstone? I'd love to leave something to make people smile!

indeed he did - except in Gaelic.. (middle bit obscured by the roses!)

Milligan,_Spike_(headstone).jpg

"Duirt mé leat go raibh mé breoite", "I told you I was ill"

with Cat Stevens' version of "Morning has broken" (showing my age). :oops:

I would quite fancy Israel Kamakawiwo'oles 'Somewhere over the Rainbow'

As well as 'Otherside' by the Red Hot Chili Peppers :wink:8)

And 'Moon River' by Danny Williams,which makes me shiver whenever I hear it.

And 'Gay Bar' by Electric 6 too,just to shake things up a bit :lol:

Bit of an odd mix,really :roll::lol:

At the funeral I took yesterday afternoon one of the daughters read several short poems by Spike Milligan. The final one was...

When I am sad and weary,

When I think all hope has gone.

When I walk along High Holborn,

I think of you with nothing on.

They added some laughter to the occasion and were really apt as they were favourites of the deceased.

Morag

At the funeral I took yesterday afternoon one of the daughters read several short poems by Spike Milligan. The final one was...

When I am sad and weary,

They added some laughter to the occasion and were really apt as they were favourites of the deceased.

Morag

:lol:

must remember that one!

Phil

When "Truly Madly Deeply" was in the charts Savage Garden were due to play at Manchester Uni. I dragged my friend along & I had a fantastic time, I was really impressed with them, even though the venue was a bit of a dive- it's been done up now, like most student places.

Darren Heyes :oops:

When I am sad and weary,

Morag

I love it :D

Phil

It is called Affirmation :D sometimes I can be so dozy :oops:

Karen x