Guest revnev

distressing funeral..

a word to the wise though - just in case you don't know (and after you're dead you won't really care anyway!!) your surviving relatives are NOT bound to follow your instructions for your disposal - the decision is made by the next of kin.

Phil

Drat - and I wanted to make everyone wear a silly hat to mine :lol::lol:

a word to the wise though - just in case you don't know (and after you're dead you won't really care anyway!!) your surviving relatives are NOT bound to follow your instructions for your disposal - the decision is made by the next of kin.

Phil

Drat - and I wanted to make everyone wear a silly hat to mine :lol::lol:

:lol:

I think that's precisely why there is no legal force to it!!! :wink:

Phil

Phil

No need to worry about that - he knows his place :wink::lol:

I think any family worth their salt would honor someones wishes, even if they didn't actually agree or understand why they wanted it this way. Well I would like to think they would. :?

you'd think so wouldn't you.... that's until you meet families who disagree about how a service will be...

I have met far too many..

Phil

There is a natural burial site near Kelso and that is where I want to go :wink:

Wrap me in an old sheet and chuck me in the ground no preserving etc it gets me away from the problem of viewing my body I find the whole practice a little disgusting (just MY opinion) so don't want people gawping at me :?

I always want my last memory of someone to be of them alive and not in a coffin so wish the same for myself :lol:

Phil, you must have had some bizarre & strange things happen in your line of work - odd services & so on.

What is the weirdest thing you have done?

Any nude weddings yet? :wink:

:D:D:shock:

We arranged a 'Humanist' funeral for my non-believing MIL. It was really nice, a man came round and we talked about her, her views, her likes, dislikes, taste in music, he put together a lovely 'service' with her fave

music and chat about what she had done during her lifetime.

Tessa

We arranged a 'Humanist' funeral for my non-believing MIL. It was really nice, a man came round and we talked about her, her views, her likes, dislikes, taste in music, he put together a lovely 'service' with her fave

music and chat about what she had done during her lifetime.

Tessa

that's pretty much what I do. (actually it's what most ministers do - tho the sheer volume of funerals that are done by the church leads to a much higher number of tales of poor experiences.)

funnily enough - the funeral director in Upminster often asks me to do "non-religious" funerals..

his reasoning?? the local humanist officiant is "too impersonal" (not my words - the funeral director)

have always wondered what a humanist would say if he was impersonal - turns out he has a book of poems that he reads from.... (some of them - I have seen the book - are Psalms!)

I have a book of "humanist" readings..

one is described as "some ancient wisdom"

and it starts..

There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for everything

A time to give birth, and a time to die; A time to plant, and a time to uproot what is planted.

A time to kill, and a time to heal; A time to tear down, and a time to build up.

A time to weep, and a time to laugh; A time to mourn, and a time to dance.

A time to throw stones, and a time to gather stones; A time to embrace, and a time to shun embracing.

A time to search, and a time to give up as lost; A time to keep, and a time to throw away.

A time to tear apart, and a time to sew together; A time to be silent, and a time to speak.

A time to love, and a time to hate; A time for war, and a time for peace.

if I'm not very much mistaken - that's Ecclesiastes chapter 3...

:roll:

Phil

Phil, you must have had some bizarre & strange things happen in your line of work - odd services & so on.

What is the weirdest thing you have done?

Any nude weddings yet? :wink:

most fun wedding i was asked to do - in terms of fancy dress - was a WW2 styled wedding - where they arrived in a tank and we filled the church with sandbags - and they got me a WW2 padre uniform 8)

Phil

I've made my wishes very clear to OH and DD. I would like a "green" funeral with an oak tree planted on me, so I will be part of a forest in the future. I'm not at all religious so there wouldn't be a service, just a celebration of nature, with Cat Stevens' version of "Morning has broken" (showing my age). :oops:

I don't think it's morbid to make your wishes clear. I think it's eminently sensible.

I don't think it's morbid to make your wishes clear. I think it's eminently sensible.

I do too. However, I don't think that we can expect to control from the grave so to speak. As someone said, funerals are for the living, the dead don't care anymore. I have often said that they can flush me down the toilet when I'm dead for all I care, then DH pointed out the diffiiculties of dismemberment :roll: so I'll just leave it to whoever is still alive, I think they all know me well enough to know what I would hate in terms of a funeral.

Tessa

I've made my wishes very clear to OH and DD. I would like a "green" funeral with an oak tree planted on me, so I will be part of a forest in the future. I'm not at all religious so there wouldn't be a service, just a celebration of nature, with Cat Stevens' version of "Morning has broken" (showing my age). :oops:

Trouble is, Morning has Broken is sung in praise of God's creation :lol:

gets me away from the problem of viewing my body I find the whole practice a little disgusting (just MY opinion) so don't want people gawping at me :?

I always want my last memory of someone to be of them alive and not in a coffin

I actually never thought I was strong enough to do the above. My dear old nan died a few weeks ago quite suddenly and it was quite shocking to witness, anyway my dad asked if I wanted to see her in the chapel of rest. At first I said "no" but somehow (god knows how), I suddenly piped up one day that I wanted to go and see her. My sister and I went, it was very serene, all we could hear were birds tweeting and there was a lovely natural light shining in the room. It was nice to see her in peace rather than having the final memories of her passing away in our minds. :)

And she had a good send off!.....Abide with me (gotta have that one! :wink: ) and lots of lovely happy memories read out at the funeral.

I've said the same thing! A green burial at a local burial ground with an oak tree if possible but I want to go underground to Gracie Fields singing "Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye" :wink: .

I went to a catholic funeral a few weeks back (my SIL's mum) and I am not Catholic and was amazed at how long the service was. I have to admit to having a numb bottom afterwards. plus at the commital it was blowing a g force gale, which it wasn't doing earlier in the day. :?

My brother read at the end (it was his wifes mum) and I cried my heart out, he read about her life from a child when she was in Italy, to coming here etc and all the personal things that entailed. He totally put into words who this lady was.

I will miss her dearly and will never ever forget her for one day, I think about her every time I smell roses or pasta and garlic, basil etc etc.. such a wonderfull lady.