..lay a little egg for me Posted June 19, 2008 Share Posted June 19, 2008 Did you see the piece about the nutritional value of cheap chicken vs free-range? Apparently cheap chicken has the same fat content as a burger and virtually no omega-3 content, while the free range chicken meat had high omega-3 levels and was much lower in fat. Very interesting. It also fits with what I've heard about free range eggs being higher in omega-3 oils. It seems that all factory farming has resulted in lower nutritional values. I was watching a programme a few months back saying how you have to eat 10 modern tomatoes to get the same nutrients as a single tomato from 30 years ago (I don't mean at 30-year-old tomato though! ). Felt pretty smug as I had only yesterday bought a free-range chicken from the local farm shop (where you can see the chooks running about in their field, so most definitely free range). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tina C Posted June 19, 2008 Share Posted June 19, 2008 I too found this really interesting. I don't eat meat but I asked OH if that would make him think twice about where his chicken comes from - he said definitely. I wonder whether the thought of the impact on their bodies/health will have more impact for some than the chicken out campaign? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
crazygal Posted June 19, 2008 Share Posted June 19, 2008 Yes - I saw it. It just reiterated for me that I am right in avoiding all products containing chicken and egg unless it states "free range". It has not been difficult as I have no desire whatever to consume a product that has been farmed under those conditions. What a shame the series has ended so soon I was really enjoying it, especially seeing the progress of the smallholding in Bristol. Their exbatts looked well didn't they? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Keanie Bean Posted June 19, 2008 Share Posted June 19, 2008 The man is an inspiration to me. It was watching his original series some years ago now that put me in the frame of mind i'm in now. I really enjoy his programs and cant wait for it to return in the autumn. Sarah.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted June 19, 2008 Share Posted June 19, 2008 Same here Keanie! I have all his dvds and often have a 'Hugh' day! Really nice to watch and chill out in front of the TV for a change. It was watching River Cottage years ago that first made me want to get chickens Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted June 19, 2008 Share Posted June 19, 2008 It was a good programme - I was pleased to see that they warned people of what was to come and then showed the slaughter of the pig properly - so often programmes just skirt around it. Hugh at the hair salon? - that must be a first!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tessa the Duchess Posted June 19, 2008 Share Posted June 19, 2008 Hugh at the hair salon? - that must be a first!!! He must be the only man to have a haircut and come out looking exactly the same as before he went in. Unless they didn't film in sequence Tessa Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
missuscluck Posted June 19, 2008 Share Posted June 19, 2008 We really enjoyed last nights programme. I thought the information on the nutritional value of intensive chicken v's free range was really interesting. People think chicken is chicken, but clearly it is not. I think the whole programme is put together extreamly well. It showed all the important points of the pig keeping process in an interesting and informative way. It was nice to see them make the point about keeping the pigs calm before slaughter and not upsetting them in any way. It was all done just as it should be. Go Hugh!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted June 19, 2008 Share Posted June 19, 2008 Our pigs go to a small abattoir like that - it's the only way we cope with it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted June 19, 2008 Share Posted June 19, 2008 I too am sad that the series has ended , but he said he would be back in the autumn The info about nutritional value of chicken makes sense, you are what you eat must apply to animals as well as people. We have found Hugh to be a real inspiration, he is sometimes naive, and lacks some understanding of the working classes, but he comes accross as a real gent. We met him once at a book signing in Bristol and he was lovely with ED. I used to run a playgroup with his cousin and she was lovely too. I get the feeling that there are some great family values there. If you blink you may miss the elderflowers this year, I get the feeling they will be disappearing fast The lady who showed the pig was a delight to watch her enthusiasm was infectious, this project seems to have made a real change to her life Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 19, 2008 Share Posted June 19, 2008 ....It was nice to see them make the point about keeping the pigs calm before slaughter and not upsetting them in any way. It was all done just as it should be. were your ears burning last night Lynda? I kept saying to DH "that's what Lynda does with her pigs" Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Frugal Posted June 19, 2008 Share Posted June 19, 2008 The lady who showed the pig was a delight to watch her enthusiasm was infectious, this project seems to have made a real change to her life That bit was wonderful . The whole series has been inspirational, as have all of Hugh's programmes over the years. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
missuscluck Posted June 19, 2008 Share Posted June 19, 2008 ....It was nice to see them make the point about keeping the pigs calm before slaughter and not upsetting them in any way. It was all done just as it should be. were your ears burning last night Lynda? I kept saying to DH "that's what Lynda does with her pigs" I really am doing my cleaning today. Honest! Our pigs like a tickle but I have to say they arnt as sloppy as their piggies! I would like to give that breed a go. They are very placid. Though I could get too attatched I do hope that lovley lady is ok when she has to say good bye to her favourite piggy. Perhaps they might breed from her, with some help from Hugh and co. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted June 19, 2008 Share Posted June 19, 2008 erm......I hope it's the 'and co.' and not Hugh It would be interesting if they do keep the favourite for breeding - difficult though as it is best to keep pigs in groups, at least two, so they would have to keep both until they were old enough. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TheGirlsMum Posted June 19, 2008 Share Posted June 19, 2008 I know the way the chickens are kept ie barn or free range makes a difference, but wouldn't a lot of the meat production be down to what the chickens were being fed? The only way you could do a true comparison if if they were fed the same too. Which is unlikely as the barn chickens are required to grow as quickly as possible by whatever means. Where as the free ranging birds would more likely be on a higher quality of free from aditives diet. Or am I just being too simplistic? Don't get me wrong I think HFW is great but things are always just black and white. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted June 19, 2008 Share Posted June 19, 2008 I think the comparison only works because they were testing what is available on the shelves - that is what people are buying. The fact that the cheap chickens are fed with a lower quality feed is part of the point I suppose.......... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cooks Posted June 19, 2008 Share Posted June 19, 2008 I watched and was very glad of the warning of the pigs slaughter as I could not look at all. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tessa the Duchess Posted June 19, 2008 Share Posted June 19, 2008 I watched and was very glad of the warning of the pigs slaughter as I could not look at all. I made myself watch the slaughter and I was surprised at how quick and stress free it was for the pig. Tessa Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cooks Posted June 19, 2008 Share Posted June 19, 2008 I couldn't look at something like that, it's just not me, I wouldn't sleep for weeks after seeing that. It was bad enough knowing what was happening with my face turned away and hubby saying, it's over now.... so I could look again. Then I saw it roasted!.. if I was a meat eater before I wouldn't be after seeing that. (but I dont eat meat) I did think the piece on the different chicken nutritonal values was good, very informative, and made my hubby (meat eater) more aware of what I have been telling him! at least now its nbot just me Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted June 19, 2008 Share Posted June 19, 2008 I've managed to miss all this series again Just got out of the habit of having the TV on.. I heard about this week's subject though and heartily agree - the difference in the chicken meat is plain to see, just in the taste and texture. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
..lay a little egg for me Posted June 19, 2008 Author Share Posted June 19, 2008 Hugh at the hair salon? - that must be a first!!! He must be the only man to have a haircut and come out looking exactly the same as before he went in. Unless they didn't film in sequence Tessa I know! I was somewhat surprised that he had a hairdresser at all. I assumed he just took a pair of kitchen scissors to it occasionally! (No offence meant...I like the look...not too dissimilar to my own unruly locks) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
..lay a little egg for me Posted June 19, 2008 Author Share Posted June 19, 2008 I know the way the chickens are kept ie barn or free range makes a difference, but wouldn't a lot of the meat production be down to what the chickens were being fed? The only way you could do a true comparison if if they were fed the same too. Which is unlikely as the barn chickens are required to grow as quickly as possible by whatever means. Where as the free ranging birds would more likely be on a higher quality of free from aditives diet. Or am I just being too simplistic? Don't get me wrong I think HFW is great but things are always just black and white. I think it is not just what they are fed but also how slowly they grow (same argument as the dumbing down of our fruit and veg that is forced to grow too quickly and so has lower nutritional value) and how much exercise they get. The exercise means they have a different muscle composition which has less fat and more nutrition. The eating grass is an important factor in the omega-3 content I believe. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WitchHazel Posted June 19, 2008 Share Posted June 19, 2008 The feeding is definitely an an issue. One of the birds tested was a higher welfare corn fed bird. Because of the corn diet, the meat was nearly as fatty as the intensive bird. A bit of a surprise. I always assumed "corn fed" was a good thing, Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted June 19, 2008 Share Posted June 19, 2008 Corn is very fattening (which is probably why they love it!) I often give mine Indigo Wheat (from wigglywigglers) as it's less fatty and has more protein. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted June 19, 2008 Share Posted June 19, 2008 So do I Claret, & my hens love it just as much as corn. Its a lovely colour too I do adore HFW, messy hair or not. I am off to see last night on Sky+ now Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...