Guest chookiehen

Rag Ringlets

Does anyone know how to do good old fashioned rag ringlets? We're going to a wedding next weekend, and Caity would just look perfect with her hair done in ringlets, but I don't want to go and buy these stupid hot ringlet things.

My nana used to put rag ringlets in my hair for special occasions, but it was such a long time ago, I have no idea what she did!

Does anyone know how to do them?

Yes Shona. I'm afraid I'm old enough to know: :(

Damp the hair (or use a setting product which works much better). Use strips of rag about 5-6 inches long and about an inch wide. Roll the hair around these as you would a roller and then just tie the end together with a single knot (like the first part of a bow) Allow to dry and 'hey presto' ringlets :D

Have a lovely time at the wedding :D

Hi, hope I can remember this properly :oops:

you need rags or cotton bandages (not the stretchy types)

section the damp hair up into the size ringlets you are going to do,

the rag should be twice as long as the hair plus a bit for tying,

tie the middle of the rag to the hair near the scalp, and get someone to hold it if poss!

hold one half of the rag and pull it slightly away from the hair and then with the other hand wind the hair around the rag - not the rag around the hair,

when you get to the end, use the other end of the rag and wrap that around the hair covering it like a bandage.

when you get to the end tie both ends of the rag together and you should have a sausage like thing!!!

repeat as many times as you need.

sleep on it or leave it untill hair is dry.

remove rags and hair should be in ringlets :D

you can also twist the hair as before you wind it around the bandage, but I need 3 hands to do that :?

hope this is clear enough!

karen x

I do this sometimes with DD - we cut up a pink J-cloth (new and clean!! :lol: ) for the rags.

She sleeps with her face into her pillow so the rag bundles don't poke into her head. She's already learnt to suffer for beauty at the tender age of 3 poor thing!! :shock::shock::roll:

Love,

Cookie. xx

PS. She asks for curls and loves the results - realise my earlier sentence might sound like I am being a very cruel Mum :shock:

I can remember my little sister having to go to school with her hair in rags before her ballet and dance competitions.

Don't know how to do it myself though :?

I can recommend 2 other things thought....Angel Curls is really good & easy to use,as are those foam covered wire spaghetti things.

They work really well for lovely ringlets :P

I can remember my little sister having to go to school with her hair in rags before her ballet and dance competitions.

Don't know how to do it myself though :?

I can recommend 2 other things thought....Angel Curls is really good & easy to use,as are those foam covered wire spaghetti things.

They work really well for lovely ringlets :P

What's Angel Curls??

The more I think about the rag ringlets, the more I remember my head hurting all night while I had the rags in....

Angel Curls is a heated ringlet machine.

I know you said you didn't want to buy anything,but it is such good value & works really well ,so I thought I would mention it :P

As a natural curly top I use it on frizzy days to stop me looking like Crystaltips :lol:

Heres a link to the Boots site....

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1045686

It might be cheaper on Amazon,or there might be one on eBay :wink: