rogdickinson

White Chicken to join Miss Pepperpot & Gingernut Ranger

I've got a Miss Pepperpot (Audry) & a Gingernut Ranger (Sibyl).

They're happy and laying well, but I'd love to add another (or two). I'd prefer it if she was white, a good layer and had a friendly temperament, ie one that doesn't mind being handled.

Any suggestions?

Rog

Hi. We have a pepperpot and a ranger from omlett. the same day they arrived we picked up an amber star / silvernic. She is pure white. The colours vary from pure white to white with brown speckles. We wanted a white bird so the children could tell them all apart. This hybrid is what was reccommended to us a few chicken breeders. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all your advice, it's very much appreciated. It seems that introducing 2 will be the best idea and suitable preparation and time!

Of course introducing a fourth chicken means that I need more advice on what to get. I'm sold on the idea of the amber star, any suggestions for the fourth?? (The existing 2 are P'pot & Ging Ranger)

Thanks to you all,

Rog

we have a 'merrydale sweetie', they are a hyrbrid from merrydale poultry and (i think?) the same as an amber star..

she is very friendly and interested in people - much more so than our other hens. she has intergrated well with our established girls, although we did take things slowly following the introduction advice on here!

Speaking from experience here, I wouldn't introduce just one.

I did that earlier this year, introduced a lovely hyline to our existing two gingers and pepperpot. It was a disaster, even though I took all the recommended precautions on introductions. The bullying was vicious; horrific to watch. I know people who have done this successfully without any problems, but personally I wouldn't risk it again. In fact, the second time I added to our flock, I introduced three to two, and that was far better, out numbering the existing gingers. Good luck with your decision. :wink: