riestar

Good home needed for 3 hens

I know what you mean about the Omlet photos - you'd think chickens never poo'd or ate anything looking at them :? .

However, the photos on the forum are of real gardens and real chickens living real lives, so unless we're all photoshopping our photos that's what it really looks like. I don't see mountains of poo :? .

I can't say I find the poo a problem. I do have a small garden and in some ways maybe that's easier, it's a smaller area to work with. Mine are in an eglu run & converter with hemcore, and there are honestly no poos visible, even after weeks. They don't freerange that much, so spend lots of time in the run.

I keep a plastic scoop in the garden and occasionally go round flicking the poos off the lawn/patio into the flowerbeds but that takes 3 minutes every few days. I admit, they do poo a lot when they freerange :roll: .

I've just taken this photo. The run was last cleaned on 7th June and I haven't removed any poos. I can't see any :? .

2671017122_39c2bc09a0.jpg

What I'm trying to say (in a very long-winded way :oops: ), is that it is possible to manage the poo. It seems such a shame to consider rehoming chickens for this reason only.

What I'm trying to say (in a very long-winded way :oops: ), is that it is possible to manage the poo. It seems such a shame to consider rehoming chickens for this reason only.

I agree, 5 mins a day to pick the poo from the coop, the aubiose in the run soaks up the rest and that gets a monthly clean. If they free range, I do what you do, flick it into the borders.

I refer you back to my photos as the first ones in the album are recent ones, We've had the girls for 9 months and our garden hasn't been trashed and us and the girls are very happy.

I hope you can find a compromise as it is a shame.

We don't do anything with the droppings at all. I have 6 hens and they have wood chippings in their run. The droppings just disappear and we change the wood chippings for a fresh supply every 2-3 months! The hens aren't a problem at all. If they are free ranging, yes, the droppings are all over the place and we're stepping in them when we're hanging out the washing but if they are kept in their run, the droppings really aren't a problem at all and we never have to poo pick!!

It's a shame to rehome the girls because of the poo issue. We moved our girls to a permanent home on one of the borders (we have a small garden) and extended the run. When they've been freeranging I have a walk round the garden and remove any poo and pop it into the composter. There never seems to be too much poo in the run as it seems to get mulched in with the bark chip.

We've had to rehome our girls because of a neighbour issue and it seems so sad to rehome them just because they're doing what comes naturally - pooing! I'd rather pick up poo than give away my girls.

Rie, I hope you don't think I (or others) are having a go at you :) . You're obviously having to make a really hard decision and it's clear it's not you that's bothered, but your OH :? .

I really hope you can find a solution. You could easily curb the freeranging a bit if that helps. The girls aren't really going to be harmed by that - giving them some things in their run to keep them occupied would make up for it.

just to add to this thread. Citronella is fab. not only does it help with the flies it helps make it smell lovely and fresh.

I have some citronella oil and some eucalyptus oil and I have an old yellow duster, once or twice a week I dab a few drops of each oil onto the duster and hang it inside the roof of the girls run......no flies - result! :D

I also planted some lavender plants the weekend in terracotta pots around the run, smells gorgeous and gives the run a nice mediterranean look !! :lol:

just some tips if you wanted to give it another go. :wink:

I have some citronella oil and some eucalyptus oil and I have an old yellow duster, once or twice a week I dab a few drops of each oil onto the duster and hang it inside the roof of the girls run......no flies - result! :D

We have a variation on this - a sprayer thingy filled with water and 10-20 drops of citronella and the same of eucalyptus. Everytime we notice a couple of flies, we go out and spray all over the run and inside the eglu. We only have to spray every 3-4 days, but we know it works because when we don't do it, the flies do come back.

They're in the run most of the time at the moment, to protect our littlest daughter who's face is at the wrong height for pecking incidencts - they're on woodchip and the chickens just seem to scratch the poo in for us - we only rake it to flatten it out again and don't ever poo pick. When they do free range for the day, we don't ever poo pick either :? I guess it the poo bothers some more than others...?

I poo pick every day, it keeps the flies down, but mainly I add it to my compost bins (I want great veggies next year). They poo a lot, but not as much as I thought they would. I have always put garlic powder in their food, but the first two days it smelled a bit farmy, so I added the Bokashi. What a difference - although we do get farm smells wafting across from nearby farms IT'S NOT US ANYMORE, WOOHOO! :D

We also have a lot of woodpigeons that poo all over the place - and I know they do more than the hens, purely because the poo is fresh before the girls have even been let out in the mornings. There are at least 10/15 regular visitors in the tree at the bottom of the garden where the girls are - but we have counted 19 before (not counting those in neighbours gardens and we can get over 50 then) and their poo is so much more horrible. :x

Whatever you decide (or rather OH does) I wish you luck with your batties.