Mel (& Paul)

grrrrrrr

ok

rant coming on

We had friends over last night for a meal and (as you would expect from me!) the conversation turned to chickens, then free range meat, and then on to doing your bit for the environment.

I could quite understand when they said that with three children they could not afford free range meat (after all they do have a 4x4 and a Mercedes A Class to run........) but when I suggested that perhaps they cut down on the meat and eat more vegetables it all got a bit heated and there was a suggestion that I am a weirdo - wait for it - not becuase of that but becuase I can afford organic / free range because I dont have children :shock:

Large glass of wine quickly knocked back and a desperate grinding of brain gears to see if I could change the subject before I decked them one.....

And their attitude to doing more "green" things is they dont give a (well I wont use the word she used..........) So I told them I would ring their children and tell them that Paul and I cared more about them because we were doing our bit for the future - even if we were weirdos and didnt have children.

More wine knocked back and Paul holding me back.........

Not sure when we might get invited back over to their house..........

Oh Mel,

I can just picture it :lol:

They were horribly wrong to suggest that you were strange for not having children. That is a very personal decision, & they just should not have gone there at all. Shocking bad manners when you are a guest at someones home.

As for not giving a **** about green issues,well too many people think like that & it does make me wonder why they are having children if they are not prepared to make the world a better place for them.

Its simple responsibility & some are just too self possesed or uneducated on green issues to see that.

I take it they enjoyed the organic veggie filled meal you lovingly prepared for them? :lol:

Was the wine organic too?

Mel! :shock::shock::shock:

Who are these people???

I hate it when we get the line about being weird because we don't have children...... (image not helped by lack of TV, presence of dogs, donkeys and chooks, but hey)!

People always presume its because you can't have them rather than because you have CHOSEN not to. Makes my blood boil. We have even been called selfish for this!

Regarding being environmentally friendly, that attitude really does stink, and I think you showed great restraint in not hitting them!

My suggestion? ermmm.... HIT THEM NEXT TIME!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

:roll::roll::roll::roll:

I HATE people with that kind of attitude! We have 3 children, struggle some months to make ends meet, but ALWAYS make the effort to be be more 'green', and see it as our job to educate the children to live a greener life. It's part of being a responsible parent isn't it? Feed your children the best you possibly can, while making as little negative impact on the environment as possible.

I'd of punched her......... :evil:

I'm with everyone on that front, (deck her next time!)

As for lifestyle choices, well they are our personal choice and what anyone else thinks about the way we eat have or bring up children, it all impacts on the planet we live on, surely it's up to all of us to do our bit, perhaps you should suggested she gets rid of the gas guzzlers and you may stop recycling :wink:

karen x

I take it they enjoyed the organic veggie filled meal you lovingly prepared for them? :lol:

Was the wine organic too?

Not the wine - that's one thing we dont often get - although there is more choice now.

But all the meat, veggies, chocolate mousse, cheese etc., was all organic or British.

Next time they can have baked beans on toast.

In their own house

By themselves

Without out

:wink::lol:

I hate people who won't even try to be just a little bit green because they can't be bothered. I'll come and help you hit them next time, Mel :wink: . As for lifestyle, don't they realise that it's a free choice? We don't all HAVE to have children, do we. It would be really nice if some of the people who had them would actually look after the poor little things though....

Rant coming...in the Nesting Box!

Thanks guys

I have to say I was feeling more than a little down after the conversation - and cross with myself for getting so upset (and NO it wasnt because of the wine :roll: ) But being here made me realise that there are plenty of good people out there.

:D I'm going to carry on ensuring I do as much as I can for animal welfare / child welfare / environment etc. And I WILL stick to my principals whatever - and continue to respect those who have different ideals :D

:roll::roll::roll::roll:

I HATE people with that kind of attitude! We have 3 children, struggle some months to make ends meet, but ALWAYS make the effort to be be more 'green', and see it as our job to educate the children to live a greener life. It's part of being a responsible parent isn't it? Feed your children the best you possibly can, while making as little negative impact on the environment as possible.

I'd of punched her......... :evil:

Shona, you echo my sentiments entirely. Some people just don't care a jot, do they? :evil: