Well I went and let the chooks out put their food in the run and just looked outside and alread a slug in there!!!! I think mine are training for the olympics in 2012!!!

Also found one on top of the run! I don't know how it got there!!! The chickens take no interest at all in them.

Egluntine, I take it you have cut one up then??? I don't think I could bring myself to chop up a slug I just dont think I could kill it either! I throw them over the fence at the back of the house but they probably all just come back they probably just laugh at me saying you won't get rid of us that easily!!!

I think I will try the beer idea though but hubby will have to empty them out I will feel guilty about killing them even though they eat half of my plants!! Oh and we have frogs but they will only eat the very tiny slugs, we seem to have loads of those disgusting orange tinted ones, ewwww!

I now bring the grubs in every night having found about ten fat slugs in just one of them the other night. :vom:

I visited Barnsdale (Geoff Hamilton's garden) a few days ago and they had some organic slug pellets based on iron. I was tempted to get some until I read the blurb. To paraphrase...."the slugs will eat the pellets and not eat anything else. They will go away and find a quiet place to die. They will not contaminate your soil". Bless them. :(

Obviously being a complete softie I couldn't buy the slug pellets after that. The manufacturers really need to rethink their sales pitch. :roll::roll::roll:

My garden is a complet slug jungle. But I just can't bring myslef to kill one. *sigh*

Have you ever cut a slug in half? :vom:

It is like something from Star Trek.

I won't go into detail as people might be eating their breakfast, but lets just say you need a very strong stomach. :vom::D

I kind of have a horrible disgusted fascination. :? It is past breakfast time, I think it is your duty to tell us all about cutting a slug in half!

(Not forgetting why you needed to cut a slug in half! :wink:

OOH Mine would all have your arm off for them send them all to me :lol:

I have to trawl the neighbourhood to find any I have even asked my nighbours to throw any from there garden over :!: Sad or what :?:

Kate

Flora Goldline Fauna Goldline Merryweather GNR

Valerie GNR Maisie PP Princess Aurora GNR

Maleficent PP

Living the life of Riley in a (cube purple)

Tetley and Beaney, The black cat sisters.

Have you ever cut a slug in half? :vom:

It is like something from Star Trek.

I won't go into detail as people might be eating their breakfast, but lets just say you need a very strong stomach. :vom::D

I kind of have a horrible disgusted fascination. :? It is past breakfast time, I think it is your duty to tell us all about cutting a slug in half!

(Not forgetting why you needed to cut a slug in half! :wink:

I tried it as I was told it was the best way of killing them and less cruel than the salt method.

Not that I factor cruelty into the equation where slugs are concerned tbh

All I can say is that they must be like the Tardis inside, because the volume of hideous grey entrails that billowed out defied all belief.

It was like pulling the cord on one of those inflatable life rafts.

Just to make everyone laugh, and show everyone what a complete idiot I am I will tell you a little story!

A few weeks ago my big furry cat was laying on my sons bed and I gave him a little stroke and felt something in his fur on his tummy. I thought it was a bit matted and called for my husband to give me the nail scissors out of the bathroom cabinet. I was chopping away at the fur and then I cut through something that was all sticky and grey.

I started screaming for my husband to call the emergency vets whilst I bathe him as I had 'just cut through his nipple' :oops: (I thought it was swollen and infected) :oops: As I started bathing the area with salt water it was getting slimmier by the second, my heart was in my mouth I was so worried I had damaged the poor thing.

As a bathed further I could now see that this was not a nipple but a vile slug tangled up in his fur. Oh my god I was so sick that I had been touching it and I had cut it in half then washed with salt, what a mess :vom:

My husband looked at me like I was a complete nut nut and told me I could ring the vet back as he was not going to be shown up :lol:

I should have known by the fact that my cat slept through the whole episode that there was nothing to be alarmed about :lol:

So there you go I know what it's like to cut through a slug. Nice :wink:

What a brilliant story :lol::lol: .

We get loads of revolting slugs and snails when it rains. The girls don't seem interested :roll: .

A couple of times, I've found a slug on the girls' pellets box (in the kitchen) in the morning. A slug has obviously been on the grub or glug and been brought in at night :vom: . Thank goodness they don't move very fast, they might have made it onto the floor (bare feet in the morning :shock::vom: ).

My youngest daughter once managed to squige a huge fat orange slug in between her big toe and the next toe whilst walking up the garden path :vom: from the screaming we thought she had done something really serious or was being murdered even our neighbours came out to see what was wrong :) we still laugh about it now she now has a real issue with slugs and snail and worms :lol: I dare not show her any of your posts if she thought any of our two cats could get them in in their fur (a) she would never touch them again (b) Freak out :!:

Kitty

Flora Goldline Fauna Goldline Merryweather GNR

Valerie GNR Maisie PP Princess Aurora GNR

Maleficent PP

Living the life of Riley in a (cube purple)

Tetley and Beaney, The black cat sisters.

Loving the slug stories!

Can i add one!

A few years back my Grandad had mice in his shed. He wanted to get rid of them but without killing/poisoning them. He found a mouse friendly trap in a magazine that would catch the mouse by attracting with food and then you could release it in the wild. Once arrived my Grandad carefully baited the trap and put it in a dark corner of his shed. After leaving overnight he woke up the next morning and the little perspex trap was all steamed up. Hurrah! A mouse had been caught. He then strapped it to the back of his bike and rode down to the local park. He put the trap on the floor carefully and opened the door....out came the biggest slug you have ever seen! LMAO

We have never let my grandad live this down! The trap never did catch anything except a frog once and another slug, all of which had a free ride down to the park! hahaha

My nephew Matthew is your typical boy every bug he catches he needs to make a habitat for. One day he announced to my sister that he had caught four slugs and needed a container to house them in (and of course the "slug house" would reside in his bedroom) In the morning he announced that two of his slugs were missing.

All I can say is it's a good thing slugs leave a slime trail. Needless to say all Matthews "pets" are now kept out on the back porch.

be careful with the beer traps as the smell attracts the slugs (obvious I know!) so MORE slugs end up in your garden sometimes (slug pub anyone?) the best slug trap I have used is an empty 'square sided' plastic bottle, cut a slit down one side and then across each end of the slit at right angles (so you have a slit in the bottle shaped like an I) fold both halves of the slits in to the bottle, fill bottle with a bit of bran then lie it on its side under a flat stone or something similar, the slugs get in and the bran dries them out and they cant get back out again, its less pongy to slugs than the beer and its a way of re-using a bottle too! alternatively use the beer traps with a different bait or water down the beer a bit! as Aubose/hemcore seems so absorbent I wonder if slugs avoid runs that have them in?

I use 'Slug Off!'

http://www.capitalgardens.co.uk/v3/organic-slug-off-p-18033.html?source=froogle

It looks like gravel and I was very sceptic at first but it has really worked! As its organic it is chicken.dog, child, cat safe and can be dug back in to the garden as a soil additive. I just scatter over and around any delicate veg or plants. It does work too!

I don't have many slugs but I find a few in the garden now and then. The hens peck at them and, finding that they can't get through the leathery exterior, quickly lose interest. So I chop them in half using a nice sharp trowel and then the hens fight over the halves, finally eating them from the inside out. It's quite disgusting to watch but satisfying at the same time. Like feeding bindweed leaves to the chickens, it's a method of transforming a garden pest into tasty eggs...

Eue, what lovely stories, my first thoughts were cut them up as well, (Sharonx you made me laugh with the cat )

If you can't face cutting them up, then squash with with big gardening wellies on, not crocs they are not strong enough and slide!

Once they are squashed a bit they should be able to manage them. It seems a shame to waste all that lovely food :lol:

(btw how long have we had the lovely colours on the submit post then, I have been busy and not noticed.)