suandtim

Fruit question!

I'm sure this is somewhere on the forum, so apologies if this is old ground, but our girls love grapes as a treat when we get hoime from work - are there any fruit type things we should avoid, or does anyone have any suggestions as to favourite fruits for the chooks?

Thanks in advance

Tim

short answer - it kills them!

longer answer - or so I believe. I know people have said before that avocados kill parrots and other birds and therefore we shouldn't try it on chickens. There is a sticky in the chickens or chicken clinic section about poisonous foods.

Ours have happily eaten windfall apples, peckings off mango stones, squidgy cherries, squashed bits of peach, GRAPES (most eagerly!) - can't think which other fruits at the moment, but I'm sure there are some. Oh and they seem to have got over their fear of RED and ate a rather ripe tomato yesterday!

Mine went loopy for gooseberries until they realised they weren't grapes and lost interest soon after :lol: !! They like melon of all kinds but don't bother with much other fruit. Strawberries, raspberries etc are quite safe from them but they will eat all the leaves off the plants instead :roll: !

Mine will KILL each other for banana! They absolutely adore it.

Mine will too - the more over-ripe the better - Spot will leap 4 foot off the ground to grab bits even before you have peeled it!!!

(actually they only get black ones - but we have a constant supply of those at the bottom of our fruit bowl!)

It's kinda cute watching them eat banana because it one of those foods that means they have to wipe their beaks on the grass every now and again - in that comical side-to-side manner!

Phil

Gertrude & Mabel wouldn't touch grapes.

When I got Daisy I was told that she loved grapes so I thought this would be a nice treat for her on her own. HOWEVER.....as soon as G&M saw her with them they suddenly decided that they now liked grapes as well :roll:

sometimes I think chickens are worse than children :wink:

Mine go mental for cucumber and courgette all chopped up into little tiny pieces. Shirley is the youngest (and biggest) but not laying yet and she never gets a look in. So i secretly feed her behind the eglu whilst the Laverne and Babs are gorging themselves.

I tried porridge mixed with raisins, courgette and sweetcorn today. What a laugh. It was like a comedy sketch, porridge everywhere!!!! But they loved it!!!

Christian x x x

Hi

Mine seem to love everything except cellery. Strawberries are a real treat, water melon, grapes, apples, they would kill each other and me for sweetcorn. Actually they would probably have a go at me. Though I am the only one in our house who eats cellery. It's great as I can't think of anything else that I don't get pestered for by someone wanting a share. Even my lab/retreiver who, really does eat anything does not like cellery.

Love Mad Hen