Lydia

Meet our new winter house guest

DSCF2590.jpg

Meet Keith. He weighs just 195g, is small enough to fit in the palm of your hand, is not particularly cuddly and is very messy! We think he's a Keith but he's very modest and won't let us look properly so he could be a Keithette!

He wandered into our garden at 10 am on Saturday morning. Being a big hedgehog fan and seeing such a tiddler out in the daytime I immediately went into rescue mode. So now, assuming he survives and it's still early days, Keith is with us until probably April. We have to get his weight up to at least 600g.

Because we're having the kitchen done right now and we're essentially camping in the lounge, he's living in the cupboard underneath the stairs with a hot water bottle for company and this week's newspaper to read. He has a bit of a tick problem which we're treating and has to put up with the injustice of being weighed every day but, seeing as it's sleeting outside right now, I think he's probably fallen on his little feet.

Funnily enough our garden hedgehogs didn't think much of the Wiggly Wigglers food either - they prefer Spike's Dinner (available direct from http://www.spikessite.co.uk or places like Pets At Home).

Hopefully though your hogs have found a nice pile of leaves and are hibernating by now (especially after last night).

Keith is great because he's eating up all the cat food flavours that my two fussy felines won't touch :D