ali-s

Kitty Litter

Can I have your recomendations for cat litter please? :D

A new family member joined us at the cottage last wednesday, a cute as cute can be 8 week old Kitten named Miley ( :roll: name chosen by Natalie).

It is 20 years since I have had a kitten in the house and I had forgotten how stinky the litter tray can get :vom: I am sifting out the lumps 4 times a day, sprinkling with a litter tray freshener twice a day and changing the litter completely every 3 days. I have just got home from work and was greeted by a pong when I opened the front door.

At the moment I am using a kitten litter bought from PAH, it is a clay, fullers earth, clumping litter. It is tiny granules which are getting everywhere despite buying a special mat which is supposed to trap any loose litter when the cat/kitten steps out of the litter tray. Not funny when you step in and out of the shower (Miley is in the bathroom until we have introduced and got her used to our Dog Archie, and visa versa).

Thanks in advance :D

I use litter pearls - they are silica based - absorb liquids and you just filter out the solid stuff on a daily basis. A tray full lasts a couple of weeks in out house. Do you have a covered litter tray? My cats prefer the privacy this gives and it stops them kicking it

out all over the place :roll:

We are cat litter professionals as one of my cats has never ever used the garden for toileting and actually comes in to have a wee then goes out again :roll: The other one only goes out when she can be bothered and and never at this time of year!

Definitely go with a covered litter tray - we have a "self cleaning" one with a pullout scoop. I think we got ours from here - it's definitely this model but in green.

They're a bit more pricey but worth it to make cleaning easier. You can get away with clearing it every 3-4 days and then give it a good clean about every couple of months.

We use Catsan (the white version) after much trial and error over the years!

I clean it out completely each week and disinfect the tray but have left it in (just taking the solid stuff out) for up to two weeks with no smell.

We use a covered tray too but our cats wont use the flap at the front so we took that off :roll:

Definitely get a covered litter tray, it makes a huge difference.

we use catsan hygiene litter ( the white stuff) and its great, no odours and personally approved by mister our eldest cat who was very particular about what he went to the loo in :roll:

( he disliked the clumping stuff so much he wee'd in the shower)

It's Catsan every time for us - we have a 12 year old male cat who has had chronic kidney disease for the last 6 years, drinks and expells approximately 1 pint of liquid a day (please don't ask me how I know that :roll: ), and smells like an entire male :vom: (though he was definitely neutered at 6 months)! I've tried everything but nothing has worked as well as Catsan - and if it works for Max I reckon it will definitely work for just about any cat.

Definitely get a covered litter tray, it makes a huge difference.

we use catsan hygiene litter ( the white stuff) and its great, no odours and personally approved by mister our eldest cat who was very particular about what he went to the loo in :roll:

( he disliked the clumping stuff so much he wee'd in the shower)

our kitten millie is now 8 months old and won't use the garden so we keep her covered litter tray outside the back door, which she doesn't mind using...but in my wisdom to encourage her to go ouside to do it, i started to move the litter tray further away a bit at a time.....but this just confused her and she did it in the shower tray and also the bath :shock::oops: so now i just accept she likes the litter tray, but we do also keep the bathroom door shut just in case.

I use Bob Martin's premium crystal litter and it's great. It absorbs the liquid and dries out the solids so that 20 minutes after a serious litter tray session (and my big boys are prolific in their production!) there is no smell....another tip is to use the quilted style litter tray liners which they sell in Pets at Home, they have a lining in them with baking powder or something in, and they never rip, so they also absorb any liquids and don't leak through - I just checked my packet and they are also made by Bob Martin (although they used to do an Arm and Hammer or whatever they are called brand there too). The two things might cost a bit more but they are worth it as you don't get any nasty niffs.

I once used some stuff which was similar but it looked like polystyrene balls....disaster!! It was super lightweight and they scattered it all over the house, as it trapped in their paws :roll:

Wheat based is the way to go - when we have kittens as well as our six, it's the only thing that makes it bearable. World's best is ok, but I found the best cat litter ever was from ebay. Can't remember what it was called, but you got a huge sack for about ten pounds, and it was brilliant. We still have most of a sack in the shed from the last litter, so I haven't had to order it for a bit.

We have the Omega rollover too - great when we need it.

Thanks for the replies :D

I have made a list of the litters you have all recomended and will see if they are sold in PAH.

I used to have a covered litter tray for my other cats but can't find it anywhere, it probably got left behind when we moved :roll: Miley I think is too small at the moment to use a covered tray with a flap door but I will be investing in one when she is bigger.

The smell wasn't too bad when I got home from work today thank goodness. Her previous owner had been feeding her on adult GoCat :? so for the last week I have been gradually weaning her onto Kitten food. I think the change in her diet had been responsible for the smelly poos.

Its very interesting to read about the covered litter tray. We just used normal ones with our cats but I have to say that Cookie loves chicken poo so wouldn't put it past her to like cat poo!! I'll bear one of these in mind next time I get a kitten :D

My dog eats cat poo, if we see his rear end sticking out of the litter tray we shout at him!

Its very interesting to read about the covered litter tray. We just used normal ones with our cats but I have to say that Cookie loves chicken poo so wouldn't put it past her to like cat poo!! I'll bear one of these in mind next time I get a kitten :D

My dog eats cat poo, if we see his rear end sticking out of the litter tray we shout at him!

:vom: Aren't dogs disgusting? Cookie has quite a big head so perhaps her head wouldn't stick through the flap all the way? She sticks her head out of the cat flap in the kitchen but can't get it all the way through so I'm hoping she wouldn't be able to reach the umm 'goodies' :vom:

How about a pic of little Miley ?

I'll post a picture when I can find my camera :)

I bought a bag of Cats Best, Okoplus last night from PAH. This afternoon when I arrived home from work there wasn't any smell at all :D and the bathroom floor is free of itsy bitsy granules :D . The new litter is either not sticking to Miley's paws or the litter tray mat is doing its job :D

Santa is bringing Miley a covered litter tray :D