Couperwife

buying nothing new for a year

OK OK, count me in! I thought I'd like to try this, but didn't think I'd be able, so have been doing it 'unofficially' and so far, so good! So I'm joining officially now - have you room for a littl'un? :lol:

Well done Cathy - that sounds like a good haul! 8)

And Christian, sorry to burst your bubble - pm on it's way! :wink:

And Christian, sorry to burst your bubble - pm on it's way! :wink:

It was arranged before I even thought about doing this Snowy, so it is ok. An early Birthday pressie for me from OH :D:D

*hopes that is allowed* :lol::lol:

Definitely, I can confirm it was arranged before Christmas, so will go down as last year's purchase :wink:

I moved my overdraft and high cost card onto virgin money and got 0% for 16 months so should save me a few £s :D

I am liking the sound of this! I will have to investigate...

there is a transfer charge, I can't remember how much but it worked out a lot less than the interest I was paying on my tesco card and has put a stop to the bank sending me letters a £35 a time -

Hi

I'm climbing off the fence here and declaring myself firmly IN! I havn't yet bought anything new this year (unless lattes count!!!)

Now I am a shopoholic so it will be hard BUT I did actually do this for a few months last year

(on the quiet!) and saved heaps. I am a huge money saver so this is right up my alley.

Things I do already which are good.

I buy nearly all of my clothes from charity shops with the occasional sale bargain. Anything I do buy new is for work NOT play.

I buy things from Ebay and Boot sales as a preference, I've been completing a set of expensive bedroom furniture from Ebay but will hold off for a while now.

I save my Tesco vouchers and use them towards luxury holidays (2010 will be QM2 again and Toronto, courtesy of Tesco!)

I save vouchers towards things like books etc

Things I do that are BAD

I have a shoe and handbag obsession, the shoes are essential (I NEED 30 pairs for work honest!) but I guess handbags are a luxury....

I keep seeing "must haves" on the Omlet forum....and buying them

I can't resist Karen Millen bargains.....

Right now I'm flat broke, I've been paying the mortgage on the investment property again although the tenants are now gone and I'm looking for new ones but basically this has left me practically at my overdraft limit and next month I WON'T be able to make the mortgage payment on that house if I don't get a tenant. This month I can make the mortgage IF I break my own rule and don't pay off my credit card in full - its a double biggy too as my Florida spending is on there.

So it's buy nothing new for this year - I will also work harder to find more Aldi/Lidl products I like rather than their Waitrose alternatives. Oh and I'll be cutting down on my Lattes...... I give myself £30 per week to spend in cash, this will include the lattes (I've just cancelled the auto top up on my coffee cards!), any charity shop or boot sale purchases AND my monthly (new years resolution here that I've promised to pamper me!) beauty treatment. Finally any Ebay bargains that are non essentials (I NEED to replace the dishwasher in the investment property) I will only pay for with CLEARED funds, which means I have to get off my butt and sell some stuff again - there is still a MOUNTAIN of top quality barely worn large sized clothes which I need to photograph and sell. The chickens are self funding - the egg money covers their needs.

ooooh it feels good to pop out of the closet.

good to soo you peeping round the corner pengy :D

ok people, (sort of) confession time :lol:

I went out tonight to a body shop party and bought some sleepy bedtime mist and a hairbrush (I havent been sleeping all that well recently)

BUT

I havent broken into this weeks £50 food money yet (apart from a carton of milk from the top shop)

im very :oops::oops::oops::oops:

will I ever be forgiven

:pray:

(a very :oops: ) cathy

x

ok, i have a quandry :?

I have electrical goods that are on their last legs....

the breadmaker makes very other loaf a good one (interesting shapes I have eaten recently)

the steamer died on Christmas day (luckily after dinner)

and

worse of all

my straighteners are not heating up (and I've been growing my hair, so I neeeeeed them to work or I get ringlets :lol: )

I dont really want to get second hand electrical goods, just in case I am picking up someones faulty (and dangerous) goods.

so

what do I do?

suggestions please .... (on a postcard to... :lol: )

cathy

x

Get what you need Cathy. The household goods don't count as far as I am concerned. Re the hair straighteners; shave your head, you will save a fortune :wink::wink:

I haven't bought a thing yet this year :angel::angel: BUT we did go to Southampton yesterday (saw IKEA Pam, it is going to be great :D ) and Jase bought a lamp shade for the lounge. We have been looking for 18 months for the right colour and found it yesterday. He paid for it though :wink::wink::lol:

I am assuming that I can buy seeds for my veggie garden? Should have thought more about this before committing! :roll::roll::lol:

Tiggy - 16 months is a really good deal! I've taken a 7 month at 0% deal today. I hadn't appreciated how long your 0% was for until I re read it just now.

I've found loads of really great tips & offers on money matters web site, the virgin deal was different because not only is it 16 months but being able to transfer a bank overdraft can help a lot

ok, i have a quandry :?

I have electrical goods that are on their last legs....

the breadmaker makes very other loaf a good one (interesting shapes I have eaten recently)

the steamer died on Christmas day (luckily after dinner)

and

worse of all

my straighteners are not heating up (and I've been growing my hair, so I neeeeeed them to work or I get ringlets :lol: )

I dont really want to get second hand electrical goods, just in case I am picking up someones faulty (and dangerous) goods.

so

what do I do?

suggestions please .... (on a postcard to... :lol: )

cathy

x

My breadmaker broke and I decided to try baking bread without it. Its MUCH nicer and no faffing around. I mix it in the food processor, leave it to rise then knock it back and put one batch in the freezer and cook the other. When I need the second loaf I take it out of the freezer in the morning and put it in the boiler cupboard to defrost, when I get it I knock it back and put it into shape, leave to rise for 1/2 hour then cook it! TBH the bread only takes an hour to be ready after I get in rather than the three hours in the breadmaker so its good.

As for straighters - if you are after GHD's, we have a pair of thin ones we are going to put on Ebay, mother bought them when she was on a cruise and has never opened the box, she didn't realise they were the same as mine DOH! If that's the sort of thing you are after PM me and I can find out how much she wants for them.

I went to the shops today and only spent in Waitrose and the charity shops, I bought NOTHING in my fave boutique even though the sale bargains were AMAZING!

If there is room, I would very much like to join this frugal group :) I don't buy much new anyway, but can be tempted by Omlet must haves :roll: I have read the 'rules' and I am going to make an exception for myself in as much as I will still buy new gifts for my children and grandchildren for Christmas, birthdays etc., and I don't think I could live without the weekend newspapers, otherwise.....I'm in.

Tessa

I went to Bluewater today (I had to get a refund for some boots) AND then Freeport. Now had the handbag that matches my shoes and belt been on sale in either Karen Millen shop I would have crumbled but there was no sign of it.

I bought....

2 lattes

9 pairs of tights (Buy 2 get 1 free) I also got these at the M&S outlet so they were 5.50 per pack rather than 8 per pack. Pretty sure the rules allow me those, I can't get em second hand!

Mum bought a couple of T shirts for James, we find there are not many charity shop bargains for him like their are for us. Yesterday I bought a blouse, pair of jeans and a Covent Garden soups cookbook for 9.50 in the charities. I resisted a bargain (£200) dress in the sale at my fave boutique.

I've resisted a LOT of shoes and handbags today!!

Well done Pengy, I sure I speak for the others who have taken up the challenge - we are very proud of you :lol::clap:

I went to a birthday party at Lush tonight and I did buy a few bits, although they were all birthday pressies for kiddies I don't know very well but do know they love Lush and my DS who has been after the hair gel-gloop since before Christmas & DD wanted to get it for him for his birthday which is tomorrow - well Monday, but he'll be back at school then :( .

I spent £26 on 5 items & got 5 (I think, it was a ready wrapped parcel :think: ) worth a further £18 free, so in all I think I did ok! From the freebies I've got a late Christmas pressie for my DD's "best" friend (who I can't stand but have to put up with until the child decides to move away from her :wall: ) and three other bathbomby things which I will use as "filler" pressies for the next 3 birthday I have in the diary.

I have a wedding to find an outfit for next month, so will hit the charity shops in the next week or so..... :roll:

Sha x

I avoided the sales, too much temptation :oops: managed to get OH to the pool yesterday, using the joint christmas prezzie membership, instead of going to Merryhill. taking sandwiches to work instead of going to Subway is saving me a few £s and hopefully a few lbs - so this not buying anything is easy, just dont go anywhere near a shop :lol::lol::lol:

I was looking through DD's uniform at the weekend, wondering if I could pour her into it until Easter when the summer uniform comes in....and trying to work out just how much of a bill I would have to swallow on Friday when the uniform shop is next open...when an email dropped into my inbox containing the offer of outgrown IMMACULATE uniform. Ok so it went to all the girl-mums in her class, but I was first in the queue and will have first refusal :dance: ...I am a happy Mummy :clap: !! And even better, she doesn't want a lot for it :shock:

I can still do the "not buying new" even for uniform - whooppee :dance::clap::angel: !!

Sha x