feemcg

Dust Bath

Hi folks. When I got my chickens I filled a plastic under-bed box with play sand and each day when they're out the run I take the lid off and hope that they use it - they don't! I've even sat Beauty in it and poured sand over her to see if she got the idea! Yesterday I put a smaller tray of sand in the eglu run. They didn't go near it and this morning I let them out the eglu and they immediately surrounded the tray and started eating! Do all chickens dust bathe or are mine just not into personal hygiene!?

HI fee

If your girls are free ranging have they made their own little dusbath in the garden under a bush or shrub? I wouldn't worry about it, maybe they don't feel dirty yet :lol:

As for eating the sand mine did this when they have a sand dustbath. Do they have access to grit at all? Chickens need grit to grind up their food in the gizzard. Your girls could be eating the sand if they can't find grit, tiny pebbles etc to help grind up the food they have eaten.

mine did eat their dust bath at first...to my :shock: suprise.

Ella now has the hang of it and loves to go in there every afternoon and lie in it :D

Sam on the other hand (who is the naughty messy chicken) does like to wind Ella up by poo-ing in her dustbath :D

so I have to keep replacing the play sand as she wont go in it with poo in there

The tray of sand - now removed - had got wet so they all decided to devour the wet sandy mixture, resulting in pure sand poos for a couple of days! They have a constant supply of grit/shell mix so I'm not sure what that was about. I've now seen them dustbathing when I replace the hemcore - they flatten themselves out in the fresh hemcore and seem to really enjoy it. Unfortunately it only stays dry enough for about a day.

Well I 've had my girls two weeks now and they still wont play in their play sand..

First I put it inside the run but they just covered it in Aubiose then ignored it.

Now it's out of the run (where I have to lug it up and down the garden each time I let them out to stop it getting wet) and all they do is stand in it and kick sand everywhere :cry:

Mine have discovered the big potted palm in the conservatory.....the pot is just the right size to accommodate two chickens...they look like they are on the stereotypical desert island, with the palm in the middle!! Unfortunately, much as they love it........THE MESS!!!! :doh:

Fortunately, they have several other sites around the garden, any old patch of soil seems to do, whereas the earth I put in a litter tray in the run when they first arrived was never touched. Obviously it's no fun unless you can make a real mess of your surroundings..... :P

If you do end up lifting them out of an indoor plant pot....they hold a surprising amount of soil in their feathers. I thought I'd caught them quick today, but Parsnip just dumped all the soil out halfway across the conservatory. :roll:

Or am I the only one whose chickens think free range applies to the house, too? Thank god for solid flooring...

Sophie

My girls come indoors aswell - only the kitchen and conservatory - but they would probably wander further given the chance :D:D

When it rains they all line up at the back door (even the newbies) and wait to be let in. Then thay run round to the conservatory - stopping off on the way to check to see what food the (house) bunny has, before snuggling under my daughter's 'art table' conveniently situated near a warm radiator. :D:D:D

I also threw a bit of Diatom in there as well.

Get a big bag of sand thought Emma - mine chucked half of the boxful all over the garden and wore the rest before shaking it all out ten minutes later :roll:

Firstly whats Diatom?

And secondly you advice a big bag of sand - will a ton do?