Sammy

Hello - New to this site and need advice!

Hi,

My name is Sam and newly registered to the site today.

I don't as yet own any chickens but fully intend to take on 2 as soon as I feel I know enough and have the environment in the garden ready to bring them home. I am so excited.

My intention is to buy an Eglu Cube with a 2m run just in case I decide to take on a couple more later. The likelihood is we will pull up our decking which has never really been used so we won't miss it and utilise that space to house the cube. I work from home so the chickens will be able to roam around the garden most of the day.

My question is, under the decking we currently have pea gravel - what is the best surface ground to place the cube and run on so when the chickens are in their run they have the right grounding and are comfortable. I'm not sure if we should leave the pea gravel down, replace with new turf, etc?

This is a great website and Forum and I'm learning so much already but any advice on this topic please would be very welcome.

Hi Sam and welcome to the forum :D .

There are various schools of thought re the ground the run should be on. Personally, I have mine on soil and use horse bedding called Easibed (there are various other types too). I know lots of people put down a concrete base or slabs and say it's easier to clean out (although I find mine easy enough!)

I think pea gravel would be fine to leave down (I may be corrected). I'm assuming there's just soil underneath? If so, you could leave it as it is and put some bedding down which absorbs the poops. It will need changing every 3 months or so but makes good compost.

I wouldn't bother returfing the area - I had my 3 on leftover turf temporarily and it was awful - all the poop just got squashed by their feet so I couldn't pick it up and the grass very quickly got eaten :roll: .

Hope that helps :) .

Hi Sam,

If your chickens are roaming around the garden all day you can fit up to 5 in an eglu quite happily. The Omlet site say the eglu is fine for up to 4 and I found even with 5 they all huddled together and there was plenty of space. I wouldn't do that many if they were going to be in the run all day as that would be too little space.

BTW you are better off going for 3 to start as then you're not left with a lone chicken if something happens to one of them.

Regards Tricia

Hi Tricia

Yes I'm hearing many via the forums suggesting 3 - it won't take much to tempt me! Thanks for the advice. The only reasons I am looking at a Cube rather than an Eglu, well its two-fold really, I probably won't be able to stop myself at 3 so may aswell make the initial outlay of that additional cost now and I have a back problem so was drawn to the Cube as it's off the ground, although I have seen many that have their Eglu's raised from the ground. Still mulling it over - but thanks for your thoughts, really helps.

HI

I have only had my (cube green) +5 chickens for a couple of weeks now.

Re the pea shingle that I am sure will be fine but I think if u put a horse bedding down it will be fine but I think u may end up at some stage losing some of the pea shingle if u have a good clean up. But try it as u have all summer to re do it if it needs removing. If u r getting a run just to contain them (as u say u r going to free range them)u could move ur cube sometimes??I think in the winter a dry area undercover will be needed (but some people on here buy tarpaulins..a clear on to cover over the runs..Or even a corrugated plastic ie from wickes/B&Qetc to put over the omlet run.

But i am so pleased with my cube(I have a semi wir..not too high as i didnt want something higher than a 6' fence. I am amazed at the excavations that have taken place on the soil and if i had a piece of waste ground with weeds they are the best soil clearance that i have come across...I did expect it and they are excavating with my planning permission!

A couple of omleters are trying rubber chips with the view to hose them down?? so lots of options...at least u have the long hot summer to change it though

They are dead easy to look after my dog has more attention !

Good luck indie :lol:

Welcome to the forum!!

I agree with the other comments that 3 chickens would be a nicer number than just a pair for all sorts of reasons.

In regards to the pea gravel, they will be fine on this, my mum also has chickens and keeps hers on this all the time, just once a month or so she will give this a good hose down so that any poo is absorbed into the soil.

Just wait.....chickens will soon have taken over your life!!!