Martin B

The Circus

Personally, I don't agree with performing animals in circuses well not to the extent of elephants, lions and tigers anyway. But I think that Horses at a circus is no different to an equine show.

I am stuck with a bit of a dilemma. A circus with over 20 performing animals including

Bear, camels, zebra,

monkey, mules, Ankole

bull, Shetland ponies,

horses, ponies, llamas,

goats, geese, ducks,

snakes, birds.

Is visiting my area and will be setting up camp only 4 miles away.

I am really interested in seeing how the animals are cared for and if it really is as bad as some people make out, but if I pay my entrance fee aren't I supporting the trade and encouraging the use of animals in circuses.

I hope you understand what I mean, would you or wouldn't you go?

Martin

Yes a lot of people do think it is banned but it certainly is not.

In fact only earlier this year 2 asian and 1 african elephant were brought over to the UK from abroard to appear in the 'Great' British Circus, I say great with a slight cringe. It was on the news and they had a very poorly sized enclosure, they said they were let out to graze but the report showed them chained up in a tent! :cry: This same circus also has white tigers, bengal tigers and lions. :(

From what I've researched there are about 12 circuses left in the UK which have performing animals, although only about 5 of these contain animals which are classed as Dangerous Wild Animals (DWA).

travelling circuses can't possibly care for the animals properly because they travel around so much. I wouldn't give them a penny of my money.

I would probably go just to see what it was like.

You could just walk past and see if you can see what the conditions are like. I remember going to a circus years ago with nothing major but llamas, horses, camels etc and they all had access to the fields around the side and all looked friendly and well cared for.

No I wouldn't go.

I remember years ago booking tickets for the Bolshoi in Moscow only to find that the performance had been cancelled with only a few hours notice ( I subsequently found out that this was a common occurrence).

The State circus was in its place and very reluctantly I sat down to watch it with my friend.

After the usual clowns they put on muzzled polar bears ice skating round a small ice rink. It broke my heart and I stormed out in tears.

Sorry, this sounds like I am sitting on the fence, but you have to do what you feel is right and if you can justify your actions then go with that choice.

Sometimes to really understand something you may have to experience it first hand. Not talking about circuses here as I've never been to one but talking more generally. I know when I lived in Spain lots of friends went to bullfights. I didn't. Not saying who was right and who was wrong but I made my choice and that was that.

Ok, so perhaps sitting on the fence a little bit! :roll::lol:

I understand that they aren't treated very well etc, but surely Zoos and animal farms are doing the same thing - caging animals for entertainment :? .

(I'm not saying Zoos are bad and I know they have captive breeding programmes etc which help the animals.)