Lesley

How much chocolate?

....of the human kind, is dangerous for dogs?? :?

Is it OK as a one-off?

I left Jazz with Lauren and Jake in the lounge watching a DVD while I moved some shelves with my son. The film finished and L&J came upstairs leaving Jazz behind.

I suddenly realised and hobbled downstairs as fast as I could to a scene of devastation - two newspapers :evil: - all my printouts for a trip to London :evil: - and half a 100g bar of expensive praline chocolate(that had been hiding behind the cushion :oops: ) :evil::evil:

Should I worry? :?

or should Jazz be worried :evil::lol:

Just keep an eye on her Lesley - I hope it's nothing more than a dodgy tum.

It's the theobromine in chocolate that's toxic for them

Just found some facts for you...

It turns out that, for dogs, a chemical in chocolate called theobromine is the source of the problem. Theobromine is similar to caffeine. According to this page, theobromine is toxic to a dog when it ingests between 100 and 150 milligrams per kilogram of body weight.

Different types of chocolate contain different amounts of theobromine: It would take 20 ounces of milk chocolate to kill a 20-pound dog, but only 2 ounces of baker's chocolate or 6 ounces of semisweet chocolate. It is not that hard for a dog to get into something like an Easter basket full of chocolate eggs and bunnies and gobble up a pound or two of chocolate. If the dog is small, that could be deadly.

It turns out that chocolate poisoning is actually not as unusual as it sounds. For a human being, caffeine is toxic at levels of 150 milligrams per kilogram of body weight (see this page). That's the same as for dogs! Humans generally weigh a lot more than dogs, but small children can get into trouble with caffeine or chocolate if they consume too much of it. Infants are especially vulnerable because they don't eliminate caffeine from the bloodstream nearly as quickly as adults.

Are you sure she isn't a lurcher? :?

I won't tell you what I called her - but it wasn't lurcher :D

Apparently, she was sick when she went out with Carl so hopefully, that will be it. It was milk chocolate so that's a bit less worrying. She's been her usual exuberant self all evening, chasing around after her ball.

My lurcher once ate a Lindt Reindeer. :) The vet wanted to know the weight of the chocolate and the quantity of cocoa and assured us that she should be fine. He was impressed that she had unwrapped it and not eaten the little gold bell and red ribbon. :lol:

Hope Jazz is OK.

Bracken ate a whole box of celebrations when we were out one Christmas :notalk: she sat on my white fluffy rug and individually opened each wrapper with her paws!

:shock: Move over Gin, Britains Got Talent here Bracken comes!!!!! :lol:

Jess & Poppy between them ate a packet of Lakeland Easter chocolates (like the Advent calendar ones) wrappers and all last Friday....Pops spent the evening looking very sad & sorry for herself....and I got up Saturday morning to discover the blue carpet in the extension was rather browner than it should be with lots of glittery foil bits in :shock: I think she'd tried many times to find a clean bit to :vom: on!

Bless her was not what I said as I got the carpet cleaner out, when I should have been getting dressed to go to DS's parent-teacher consultations. She was much happier on Saturday morning and Jess didn't show any ill effects at all - I know she would have stolen them to start with, so I have no doubt she would have eaten at least some of the spoils :wall: !

My baby, Daisy, was innocent as the driven snow...she was locked in her cage :angel: !!!

It sounds like Jazz has come off ok, if you have this again, I would give her some charcoal tablets to soak up some of the toxin. I'm not sure if it actually works, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Sha x

My lurcher once ate a Lindt Reindeer. :) The vet wanted to know the weight of the chocolate and the quantity of cocoa and assured us that she should be fine. He was impressed that she had unwrapped it and not eaten the little gold bell and red ribbon. :lol:

Hope Jazz is OK.

That's a first - a lurcher who doesn't eat everything!

Ruby stole some bananas yesterday and ate them... skin and all!

My aunites welsh terrier recently ate a lot of those yummy guylian chocolates. They took her to the vets as she wasn't right so they gave her charcoal to make her sick and she recovered well. However just last week she ate a few jaffa cakes(i've been told not very many), antway she then had to go to the vets and she got quite poorly. She was on a drip and not well at all. From what i understand the jaffa cakes had something to do with her getting an infection which is what made her poorley, rather than just the jaffa cakes.

I would just observe her more than normal and see if her behaviour changes.

Emma

Hope Jazz is OK.

That's a first - a lurcher who doesn't eat everything!

Ruby stole some bananas yesterday and ate them... skin and all!

She can be quite selective indoors; its when we are out walking that she finds something disgusting to eat; usually just as someone is walking past and we get the 'poor thin dog, they obviously don't feed it enough' look. :lol:

Ruby's stories always make me laugh; she obviously has not got time to peel them!

So has Jazz usually :lol:

She was absolutely fine after her escapade :roll:

She's just sticking to the usual......socks from the wash basket, teatowels and J Cloths...... and now has taken to stealing lumps of composted poo which I've spread on the veggie plots :evil: ....oh, and flowerpots which she flips onto her nose and then runs around like some demented alien :roll::lol:

For future reference these are the levels needed for a 10kg dog to ingest for treatment to be necessary. This was copied from a veterinary notice. Obviously each dog differs and it is better to be on the safe side. My dog consumed less than the dose noted but suffered poisoning symptoms including hyperactivity and it damaged her liver.

Anyway, if you know the theobromine level in the chocolate it is 20mg per kg to require treatment.

For a 10kg dog:

White chocolate: 22 kg (!!) - not sure if this is correct

Drinking choc powder: 400g

Milk chocolate: 90-134g

Plain/dark chocolate: 2.5-45g

Cocoa powder: 8-38g

Cocoa beans: 5-18g

Cocoa shell mulch: 7-15g

Really glad your dog is ok

Anna

Edited to add - my dog was treated but it was too late to make her sick and even with charcoal to absorb the toxin there were still damages.