mostin

I went to a chicken auction and came away with..............

15 chickens, 6 chicks and 4 ducks :shock::shock::shock::shock:

Don't panic though :lol: , it's not quite as bad as it sounds. I went with HENthusiastic and her OH.

The 4 ducks were for a friend of theirs.

One of the hens was a broody mum who came with the 6 chicks, soooooo cute.

11 of the chickens, were gingers who are for their alpaca field, and

3 were Buff Sussex, about 12 weeks I think,

and 2 of these came home with me :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance: .

They are soooooooooooo sweet, they are still cheeping a bit, it was really dark when I got home last night so I will have to get some good photos of them today and start thinking of some names.

I also need to hot-foot it up to the farm shop to get some growers pellets as I wasn't expecting to come home with anything younger than POL, but the heart wants what it wants :oops: .

OH was over the moon naturally when I got home :roll: , but this morning says he will build them a house today as it is going to be a lot longer than expected before they can join the flock and the ex-batts are still using the eglu.

I will post piccies later xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well done!!!!

How exciting to go to the auction and come away with some many! :D (even if they weren’t all for you!)

Have you any photos of the auction itself- would be fascinating to see them!

Out of interest the hens that are going into the Alpaca field- would the Alpaca keep them safe from Foxes during the day and night? As my other half would love to keep an Alpaca. I might relent if it protected the chooks (oh and if we didnt live in a small semi in north london! :lol: )

Thanks

Owen

Here is a picture of my new babies

3573075437_f0d0f138bc.jpg?v=0

The auction was great fun but very overwhelming, it was hilarious getting them all back in the car.

What are you like? :roll:

Never scratch the end of your nose at an auction! :D

We nearly did buy a few things by accident due to waving arms when talking :doh: , luckily we were outbid each time :whistle::lol: .

Auction was amazing and scary!! We have had a stressful day today dealing with all the purchases.

The Ducks: Are doing fine & settling in to their new home round the corner, new owners v.pleased! :D

The Warrens: Moved into our walk in run for the night and our first girls were most upset when they awoke to find themselves evicted into a smaller house & run....as a result Anita started screeching at 6 a.m and did not shut up till 12ish when the warrens were all moved to the shed on the field! :?

The Sussex: When checked at 6 a.m. was being terrorised by the warrens so was rescued from the run and spent the rest of the morning perching happily on the side of the bath :eh: She will have a mini run built tomorrow and will hopefully be integrated with the three original girls....if not she will be going to join her sisters with Aunty Mostin!

She is currently exploring the kitchen and has managed to put the kettle on (good chicken) & left a poo on my mobile phone (not so good chicken)...seems happy enough though!

The Chicks: The broody turned out to be crackers....she killed two of the six chicks :(:(:( We suspect that three of them may not have been hatched by her as the two that died were yellow and she then started attacking the third yellow one, the other three are brown)...& one of them had to be killed by us as it was obvious it needed doing...awful :( So, on the advice of a friend we have had to remove yellow survivor chick, along with another brown chick for company and they are in a box in the spare bedroom. Hope they are warm enough for tonight, there is a hot water bottle under the box. We will get them a lamp tomorrow and hope for the best! :anxious:

The Broody: Well, apart from killing two chicks and starting on the third :( she also attacks us whenever we go near with food/water. She is now in the eglu with only 2 chicks that she does seem to be looking after well and hasnt attacked.

What a 24 hours :anxious: We are just hoping everything works itself out....& the Alpacas arrive tomorrow :anxious::D:anxious::D

HEN is now fast asleep...totally exhausted.... so update via OH. X

Thank god for security lights :pray: . Ten minutes before I was going to go out and check that the newbies had got into bed OK when OH shouted out that something had set off the lights in the garden. We looked out to see one of the new girls toddling around the garden :roll: .

Rushed out with torches and found one girl quite quickly and popped her back in their run, she was NOT happy with us :roll: . We couldn't find the other girl for ages, I was getting really worried :( , and it was dark by this time so I knew she would have fallen asleep and wouldn't be cheeping anymore. Suddenly OH's torch caught the reflection off her feathers, under a bush :doh: , we were about to step over that fence to look for her, we would have stood on her as she was fast asleep :shock: .

The sleeping girl got her wing clipped straight away, the other lady will be got tomorrow. We've made their run more difficult to fly out of too. So fingers crossed they behave tomorrow :wall: .

Blimey it's all go up North. I really cannot believe you lot. K you are as bad as the others. Turn my back and all hell breaks loose.

Seriously I'm sorry about the chicks and that part of the experience. Someone was obviously being a bit dishonest which must have been pretty traumatic for you. :(

I just could not believe your posts and doing it all just before the Alpacas tribe arrive. I hope they like chickens. :lol: and Mostin fancy Shaun letting you loose at an auction :shock: Your buff Sussex are absolutely gorgeous I am very jealous. :D

The new phrase on the forums going to be " I'm off to an auction hope i don't 'do a Mostin and Hen' ":lol:

I think you were both very well behaved to only come home with a few chickens and ducks and chicks...... OH would never let me near a poultry auction, especially if I was accompanied by other Omleteers.

Those Buff Sussex are so sweet, they're going to grow up to be real beauties.

Shame about those chicks though, that can't have been nice.

but most of all

the alpacas are coming the alpacas are coming the alpacas are coming

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::anxious:

But how many meanings can one phrase have...."doing a Mostin" can mean one of three these days....depending whether you are talking being forgetful over ordering, or dispatching and now going to an auction & not sitting on your hands :lol: !!!

BTW, I think you were very restrained on your own behalf Mostin, and sorry to hear the chick news Hen....can't wait to see piccies of the alpacas & new hens in their new home :dance:

Sha x

BTW, I think you were very restrained on your own behalf Mostin,

Thank you Sha, *takes modest bow*, I just wish my OH would see it that way :roll::lol: . He just doesn't understand the strength it took to only come away with 2 :shameonu: , I could have brought home soooooooooo many more :(:lol: .

I got a message over an hour ago to say that alpacas were nearly at the field so they should be getting settled in to their new home now :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance: . I imagine we'll be getting some pictures later on today :D .

:shock:YP they came away with 21 chickens and 3 ducks. A few is 2 or 3. That is a herd! :lol:

Plum :shock: , you make it sound really bad saying 21 chickens :shameonu: . 6 were baby chicks with their mummy so they only count as 1 surely, instead of 7 :whistle: .

The 4 ducks went to Hen's friend. You see, it's getting better already :liar: .

The 11 gingers have gone to live in the field with the alpacas.

So if you count the number of chickens that have "actually come home" with us all there is only the broody mum with her babys (which count as 1 :whistle: ), the Buff Sussex who stayed at Hen's and the 2 Buff Sussex's that came home with me.

So that means we only actually brought 4 chickens home :angel::D .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think my chicken maths calculations are correct :wink::lol: .

Hi guys *waves frantically* I feel as if I've been sadly missing from this thread. Thanks to Mostin for updating and clarifying on my behalf. :clap:

Things have been totally frazzeling since auction, sorting out extra housing for the rather young Buff sussex (now named Poppy); and dealing with the chick situation and moving chikens to the field etc etc etc.

But now things have finally settled down and we have had the best afternoon ever chilling and watching Chicks and ALPACAS!

I am about to download piccis and will then be adding to a new thread :D