Hens@HalfMoonLane Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 After coming back from holiday in a deserted valley in Northumberland with a virus (sheep flu we think!) all 3 of us have felt a bit off colour for a few weeks. Last Wed my husband started with a sore throat at lunch time and at 10.00 pm were at the duty Dr who said he had a chest infection and prescribed antibiotics saying the sensation that he couldn't breathe was just that a sensation. I went to bed but he couldn't sleep. Cut a long story short at 2.00am it was a 999 job and he spent 36 hours critical on life support. A bacterial infection was diagnosed which came on quicky like meniginits and closed his throat up - really scary. Hoping he may come home today or tomorrow. It really makes you appreciate what you take for granted in life and also the wonderful support friends and family give. How lovely is this - a friend who lives in Cumbria has taken time off work so she can walk my dogs for me each day. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Nicola H Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 Crikey that must have been scary................Hope your hubby gets better soon. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lisa33 Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 Hope your husband gets better quickly. How scarey though!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ClaireG Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 How frightning for you both. Hope he gets better soon. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 Gosh...what a fright for you both. Best wishes for his speedy recovery. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Groovychook Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 My goodness! How frightening that your husbands symptoms could escalate as quickly as that... Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery. xx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
poachedegg Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 Gosh - hope he is feeling much better really soon. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chooklady Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 How awful for you all, hope your hubby is much better soon. Something like that does make you appreciaye the smallest of things and put other things in perspective. What a brilliant friend you have to. Hope all goes well Best wishes Nicola Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bluekarin Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 That is really scary! Hope he is feeling much better now and is home soon. Are you going to let the duty dr know it wasn't just a 'sensation'? I would. I'm a bit at doctors right now. Not all, just some. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 How terrible - you must have been so scared. It must be something in the planetary alignments.... On Friday, Phil's Nephew was taken into hospital with a sontaneous pneumothorax, they let him straight out after treatment (very strange decision), needless to say, he collapsed on Saturday and had to be readmitted. Longstoryshort... due to total incompetence on the part of the NHS, he is now having an operation to patch it all up and remove the drain, which they put in too close to his heart Got home on Sunday to find the street full of police and ambulances; immediately thought of the old lady I look after, but it wasn't - chap over the road had taken an overdose and committed suicide. Didn't really know them, but very sad. Then this morning, I was attacked by some weirdo while walking the dog in the park. No harm done and the police are onto it. LIke I said planetary alignments. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bluekarin Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 How terrible - you must have been so scared. It must be something in the planetary alignments.... On Friday, Phil's Nephew was taken into hospital with a sontaneous pneumothorax, they let him straight out after treatment (very strange decision), needless to say, he collapsed on Saturday and had to be readmitted. Longstoryshort... due to total incompetence on the part of the NHS, he is now having an operation to patch it all up and remove the drain, which they put in too close to his heart Got home on Sunday to find the street full of police and ambulances; immediately thought of the old lady I look after, but it wasn't - chap over the road had taken an overdose and committed suicide. Didn't really know them, but very sad. Then this morning, I was attacked by some weirdo while walking the dog in the park. No harm done and the police are onto it. LIke I said planetary alignments. OMG! Hope they don't align over here *looks above head* Hope you and Phils nephew are okay. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 Thanks Karin, I am fine. Not sure how M is getting on though, I expect an update on his op soon. He is a big strong healthy boy, so should be OK. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Happy chickens! Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 Glad to hear both menfolk are doing well - and glad you had the commensense to take them seriously - I often don't believe mine as every cold is man flu! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 Oh my goodness Hens@HalfMoon Lane, I hope your hubby recovers quickly. How scarey for you. Claret, hope the police sort out whatever happened to you. I might stay in for the rest of the week (I've already had the car make a funny noise, the other car's handbrake is wobbling - that can't be right can it?, dishwasher has broken again and I think Dave has brought a mouse in thats under the fridge) and my hubby is away til Sunday Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ubereglu Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 That was a shock I'm sure. I'm glad he's recovering now and hopefully over the worst of it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Hens@HalfMoonLane Posted June 9, 2009 Author Share Posted June 9, 2009 Thanks for all the get well wishes, he's tonnes better and can come home when he can come off the IV antibiotics which should be tomorrow. Famous quote from him tonight, I'll be OK at home on my own as long as I remember to take it easy. I reminded him how he normally doesn't have a problem with this! Bluekarin - apparently all the admissions like Rob's are scrutinised at a case conference and any lessons learnt fed back however the doctor on call in theatre had not seen what Rob had in the 20 years he had worked in A & E so the GP may be excused I suppose. Claret - hope your nephew has a speedy recovery too. And yes I did think he had man flu and thought how much can a sore throat hurt to the extent when he stopped being polite to me outside the duty dr probably cos he couldn't breathe I really swore at him. Now don't I feel bad!! In the middle of all this happening I had an interview for a fantastic job and got it - that was all a bit of a blur but now it's sunk in. Handing my notice in at work in the morning. The hens will be doing a full circle and coming back to Lancashire very close to the BHWT rescue co-ordintor when we relocate. So last week started off with my car setting on fire (or nearly) and hopefully all the drama has ended tonight with my 3 year old son having an allergic reaction all over his body and spending the evening in the dr's. I'm getting too old for all this... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Yorkshire Pudding Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 I know that feeling! What a . I'm pleased to hear all is well now, and best wishes to your OHs nephew too Claret. It sounds like you deserve a break now. Congratulations on the job! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 Heck what a week you are having, talk about highs and lows. Glad he's on the mend and hope all goes well and your little one. Your OH was probably too poorly to notice your swearing or perhaps he'll be a gentleman and pretend he was or really make you suffer. Congratulations on the job will they trust you with a company car Claret how awful you need to train your dog. Hope you are not too shaken. Hugs x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mostin Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 So glad you're hubby's on the mend. What a shock , and what a time you've had recently. If you're moving over the border I'll have to come and visit your chooks soon before you go to the "wrong side" of the hills, as my grandma used to say . I hope your whole family gets properly better soon Big hugs to you all, and congrats on the job xxxxxxxxxxxx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted June 10, 2009 Share Posted June 10, 2009 Congratulations on your new job Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 Claret how awful you need to train your dog. Hope you are not too shaken. Hugs x Luckily the pup barked a lot and I think that scared him off. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mostin Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 Claret how awful you need to train your dog. Hope you are not too shaken. Hugs x Luckily the pup barked a lot and I think that scared him off. Good old Ruby , give her an extra cuddle from me. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
theherd123 Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 Crikey it all happens doesnt it! Do hope your hubby is feeling better now Hens. Claret - sometimes it never rains it pours - hugs to you xox Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...