Mel (& Paul)

River Cottage

:shock:

Thanks for the post about this programme - what an eye opener.

Awful isn't it, I'd thought about my lovely free range eggs to come, but hadn't given much thought to the mass produced cheap chicken meat. Very sobering programme - definitely a review of this family's chicken consumption.

:(

I dont eat meat.

so covered my eyes and ears at that moment!

I don't either - it's not the killing...the poor little fat things with dislocated legs made me sob.

There is a quote in 'Black Beauty' by Anna Sewell that says 'ignorance is next to wickedness' - apparent here I feel.

I'm very sad.

:shock:

Thanks for the post about this programme - what an eye opener.

Awful isn't it, I'd thought about my lovely free range eggs to come, but hadn't given much thought to the mass produced cheap chicken meat. Very sobering programme - definitely a review of this family's chicken consumption.

:(

i think everyone who has chickens maybe a few exceptions on this forum eats free-range or organic meat. We are very anti Battery Hens and do a lot of fundraising for the BHWT. You'll get used to it and you'll be a river cottage hook and an organic meat eater very soon! :wink:

I have always bought free range eggs for years (even before chicken keeping).

I dont tend to buy that much meat (as only hubby eats it), but I would definetly go for free range chicken.

until prices drop on organic/free range this option of buying dearer meat isnt going to be accessible to everyone though, which is a real shame.

What frustrates me about avid meat eaters - like on the programme - was that the organic chicken cost more - so they bought 4 cheaper ones - but why not just eat less meat??? Why not have chicken once a week instead of 3 times??? /never in the history of mankind have people stuffed so much meat down their throats - even the poorest family could afford the organic chicken if they had a nice veggie stew the next day. What is the obsession about meat with EVERY meal - for goodness sakes people - try something new.

Yes, I've bought free range eggs for years, as I said it's the meat side I just didn't think about. Price is definitely going to be an issue with the 3 gorgeous boys and hubby to feed (how much can they eat???), but I've got a good village butcher so it's off to find out where his come from. Even the barn chickens would be a better option. :)

We've become even more converted since keeping our hens. I was always into freerange food, but became more evangelical. Rosie is very vocal about it (like you Martin :wink: ) and knows quite a bit about organic/freerange husbandry now. She's really come to terms with the lifecycle thing and can deal with death and the celebration of life now. She idolises one of our friends, who is a wiccan, and they talk about it a lot.

My sister is like Lisa from the programme except I don't think she'll ever be converted - she just doesn't care at all about nature and isn't interested in where her food comes from, or the quality of its life. I have given up with her - she just thinks I am weird.

What frustrates me about avid meat eaters - like on the programme - was that the organic chicken cost more - so they bought 4 cheaper ones - but why not just eat less meat??? Why not have chicken once a week instead of 3 times??? /never in the history of mankind have people stuffed so much meat down their throats - even the poorest family could afford the organic chicken if they had a nice veggie stew the next day. What is the obsession about meat with EVERY meal - for goodness sakes people - try something new.

Hello all! Just dropped in again on my way to bed.

I AM an avid meat eater, and wouldnt dream of buying battery chickens. We buy free range only, and I make my own chicken goujons, pies and soups with them. Not all meat lovers are unmindful of the welfare aspect of animals.

I had a conversation with a friend yesterday about relative shopping bills. She has the same amount of children as me, all older than mine, but her shopping bill is half that of mine and her family don't know what a vegetable is! :shock:

We've become even more converted since keeping our hens. I was always into freerange food, but became more evangelical. Rosie is very vocal about it (like you Martin :wink: ) and knows quite a bit about organic/freerange husbandry now. She's really come to terms with the lifecycle thing and can deal with death and the celebration of life now. She idolises one of our friends, who is a wiccan, and they talk about it a lot.

My sister is like Lisa from the programme except I don't think she'll ever be converted - she just doesn't care at all about nature and isn't interested in where her food comes from, or the quality of its life. I have given up with her - she just thinks I am weird.

Did you notice I was vocal! :wink:

If somebody thinks you are weird they must be weird Clare! :wink:

I'm probably like you Helen, I might spend more by buying my meat fromt he farmers' market than a supermarket (and goodness knows I can't afford to spend too much). But I make it last and use every little bit of the chicken. I hate waste, but like to buy quality produce from sources that i know are good and practice the right animal welfare.

Yup! I buy whole chickens and joint them for oven baking etc. Them, do down the carcases, pick it over and you have a beautiful veg soup with chicken stock and enough for a chicken pie (which I and the children had tonight - gorgeous with a blob of soft cheese mixed in the filling). Yum...

Snowy, when I get the chance I'll stick it on but its really simple and because I scratch cook most of the time it is different every time (depends whats in the fridge that needs using...). I never seem to have any time anymore. Used to be on the forum every day, now I'm lucky if i can find the time once a fortnight...

Ho hum.

basically, get some left over chicken (and its the little carcassy bits that make this, I think). Make some pastry, line a pie dish and blind bake bottom for 20 mins. Put chicken in bowl with generous blob of Philadelphia or suchlike, a little seasoning and anything else you like (today it was a tin of sweetcorn but leeks are lovely in it, peppers, left over broccoli went in once, yum, mushroom etc). Give it a little mix, put in to pie dish, put lid on, bake until pastry lid brown and gorgeous, serve with steamed veg and a bit of gravy made from stock of carcass.

Bobs your uncle (well, not really, he's my neighbour)

Thanks Helen.

My lot love pies (typical men) but I'm never too sure about the fillings. My last attempt at a pie is still in the fridge one week later (my biggest boy has just read this over my shoulder and said "disgusting - too dry") :cry:

Looks like I need to experiment a bit more! :twisted::twisted:

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the programme, & how well I thought it was all done.

No one wants to see an animal die,but this showed the right way to do things....treat them right in life & in death.

If it converts just one person over to good,free range,organic meat then thathas to be worth it.

And was it me,or was Hugh loking mighty fine tonight ? :wink:

Late again sorry, just had to post.

A really useful programme, aimed at a different audience but of course we all have to watch it too. :D The indoor chickens are broilers and you just cannot compare the lives with a free rnage chicken, can you, like free range and battery hens.

The farmer said he made 3p profit form each bird...That was the important point I felt. Same as eggs the farmer gets squeezed so we can have 'cheap' food and it's the animals that suffer. I watched the chicken die and felt sad but it is part of nature. As a new meat eater I had to watch as I have to accept this happens. Just wanted to say that suporting the small producer is so important as these animals and birds will be slaughtered at a small abbatoir (like Lesley uses) or on site. Once again supporting the small independants keep the small abbatoirs open so animlas have a better end and don't have to travel so far,

Thank you Martin for your lovely comment

:wink:

I really think there is a change coming and it's not bad to not have thought about meat and food production but what I always say is 'once you know you can't forget',

Next week will be another interesting watch and also hard I think,

BB xx