Mel (& Paul)

River Cottage

Brilliant programme! I've bought organic/freerange eggs for years, but not chicken, mainly due to price. But as we only eat it once a week I'm going to now after seeing the programme, as some of you said, you know sort of whats going on, but until you see it for yourself you don't realise.I won't watch next weeks, too upsetting :cry: I have,nt eaten red meat for over 16 years after seeing a programme on a slaughter house, I also don't agree with the way they are transported :evil:I've bought beef once in a blue moon for OH, buy he said it does'nt taste the way it use to. So its only chicken and fish in our house.

:(:(:(:(:(

I totally forgot it was on, and missed it - saw the last 5 minutes of it, when they were preparing the chicken (peeling feet - euw!).

Must check and see if it's repeated later in the week.

I missed this too, really disappointed that I completely forgot it was on.

I only buy free range eggs and try to buy meat that is organic or has been non-intensively reared (if that's the correct phrase) but I suppose I'm like a lot of people - there is always something more I could be doing....

On a slightly different subject, I'm also trying to buy British (meat and veg etc). One thing I did notice was in the supermarket there is masses of back bacon from Holland and none from Britain, yet you can buy streaky bacon that is British......so what happens to all the British back bacon?

Not so long ago (i.e. when my Gran was growing up) as much of a slaughtered animal was used as possible including all the insides and the carcass. The majority of people ate a good, hearty, balanced diet. I wish my Gran was still around as she could have taught me a thing or two in the kitchen!

At least people are becoming more aware (hopefully)

Brilliant programme! I've bought organic/freerange eggs for years, but not chicken, mainly due to price. But as we only eat it once a week I'm going to now after seeing the programme, as some of you said, you know sort of whats going on, but until you see it for yourself you don't realise.I won't watch next weeks, too upsetting :cry: I have,nt eaten red meat for over 16 years after seeing a programme on a slaughter house, I also don't agree with the way they are transported :evil:I've bought beef once in a blue moon for OH, buy he said it does'nt taste the way it use to. So its only chicken and fish in our house.

you are exactly like me. I havent eaten meat for about 20 years now after seeing a program on an european slaughterhouse (which have far less regulations than the uk - and therefore animals are treated to dreadful cruelty) and I stopped eating meat immediately after watching it...it was shocking.

its a bit strange as hubby is a qualified butcher and did butchery for 20 years before losing his job and is now catching chicken.

he is a real carnivore and im not!

I'm a veggie, married to a huntin, shootin, fishin type for nearly 25 years. I will only buy him "real" meat - local, known source, free range or organic etc etc - and we only ever fall out when I catch him buying meat that doesn't match my ideals - bacon sarnies, pork pies etc.

I know now that I will always be veggie. I had thought I'd undergone a transformation in the past year and was on the River Cottage Road as I now breed my own banties and the surplus cockerals are destined for the freezer. Two things have reinforced my veggie convictions in the past couple of weeks. Hubby killed the first cockeral, prepared it, then presented it to me for cooking - I found it difficult to get my head around that, but maybe it will get easier. But then watching the actual slaughter last night upset me - not because it's wrong, but just because that's how it made me feel.

I have absoluely no problem with anyone eating "real" meat as I truly believe that's what we're meant to do. I just don't think I'll ever be able to take road again.

On a lighter note, I certainly agree with you Cinnamon. But I don't know why scruffy haired, four-eyed former public school boy is a bit tasty - must be my age :lol: !

I found it sad, watching the broilers because they are the same breed as the ones we grow for meat.

Ours come from the same hatchery which supplies birds for KFC (we see it as our own form of rescue) but ours live outside, have access to grass etc and we grow them slowly. They jump and peck and scratch and run along the ground like army transport planes taking off. They are so funny to watch.

Our last lot were despatched at 9 months - KFC despatch at 5 weeks :(

I've only seen bits of the programme as OH wouldn't watch the killing or the dead chicken Hugh had at the start :roll:

I must admit I like my meat to be ready for cooking, and for someone else to kill it I'm very sqeamish :oops: Maybe I'll be brave and watch Buffy's link.....

I find it's not buying weekly meat that's the problem. If we can drive out to the farm shop that's good, if not I try to buy organic meat at the supermarket.

I often feel guilty I'm not as commited as other people on the forum .

My weakness is eating out, dinner parties, barbeques and take-aways. Do other people just eat vegetarian? I much prefer meat dishes at restaurants but I'm guessing most wouldn't use organic meat. Most social events seem to be based round food (drinking, birthdays, vivas, lab meals, weddings.......) We usually eat out/have take-away at least once a week for various reasons.

Hi Lesley

Hubby has just murdered, sorry, prepared another of the cockerals tonight and commented on how much fat there was on him :shock: .

They are 24 weeks and have been out in a section of lawned garden (roughly 20ft x 30ft) during the summer and I moved them back into the aviary (20ft x 8ft) a couple of weeks ago after I found a couple of dead finches :( .

I moved them off growers at about 14 wks and they've been on mixed corn ever since (with a few kitchen s"Ooops, word censored!"s).

Do you think it's the mixed corn that's the problem? How do you feed your meat birds? Some advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Chocchick.... I really wouldn't worry: The fact that you are aware of how our meat is provided and that you make an effort to use locally sourced or organic meat when you can is a step in the right direction. We eat out and have take aways too..... you can only do as much as can sit within your lifestyle. Small changes matter, and even if you "only" buy better sourced meat than you used to , isn't that something really positive?

:D:D:D:D . Well done!

I agree Annie - all the small changes are what matter. We can each only do what we can - sometimes we can do it with a series of small changes (which is how I started - and still have to do, in some cases) - sometimes we make a big leap and make a mojor change.

I was vegetarian for many years until 2 years ago and now mostly eat meat we have raised ourselves with a bit of Farm Shop of Farmers' Market meat as long as I know how it has been raised. When I'm out I eat veggie, food and try to avoid eggs in anything, especially 'hidden' eggs. Carl chooses to eat lamb if we are out as it is generally less intensively farmed.

Jools - from about 6 weeks we feed our 'dinner' birds on a mix of 50/50 growers and mixed corn until a couple of weeks before despatch when they get more corn, less growers. We scatter a lot of the corn on the ground so that they have something to do and it also helps to keep them agile. I think they will put on a layer of fat around this time of year anyway, simply because the weather has changed and is colder. They do make a fabulous roast though! - we put potatoes around ours and they actually roast!

It's similar here too, some things can be changed instantly and others take a little longer :( but you get there in the end :D

When we wanted to change over from lots of 'chemical' cleaning, I decided to finish off all the products first as I thought it would be less harmful than pouring them down the sink :? but when they were used up I replaced them with a eco friendly variety,

karen x

Oh! - what a shame. Do the orange ones still taste of orange?

I wish they's change the colourings on M&M's :?

I'll ask him when he gets up :roll: actually he's playing rugby later so he will be up soon. I just felt so sad that he had so been looking foreward to them as they had been treated like a banned substance in our house since he was a toddler :(

karen x

I feel the same :oops::(

My OH just does not see the point of buying good quality meat that has had a good quality of life before ending up on our plates :( I have tried to explain this to him until I am blue in the face but he just does not get it. He did not see the programme but I am certain if he had he would not change his mind. He is very much like "Lisa" in the programme.

I have also tried to reduce the amount of chemicals we use in the house, changing over to ecover and Teso Naturally products. For a while I thought they were brilliant as they seemed to last for ages so actually worked out cheaper than using other products. That was until one day I found other products hidden away in the cupboard under the sink. OH had bought these and would use them when I was not there instead of the friendlier versions :twisted: So now we have our own products in the cupboard :roll:

Any ideas on how I can get through to him will be greatly received.

Any ideas on how I can get through to him will be greatly received.

To be honest you can't change his mind, but could try the drip drip approach.

OH seemed taken by what Buffy/omleteers were saying about BHWT at the omlet meet, although has not said anything since. He then looked at the BHWT website and believed what I was telling him about the state of the chickens. :roll:

He seems to like the quality of meat at the farm shop and it seems to appeal to his manly meat-eating side being able to buy huge slabs of meat and seeing butchers walk past with part of a prepared piece of cow slung over their shoulder ready to cut down. He can have manly chats with the butchers too about meat or farm animals. The bacon at the farm shop is like meat rather than the poor imitation we thought of as bacon before. We just need vegetables to go with the meat and carbohydrates now. :roll: (potatoes count as carbohydrate not a portion of veg :lol: "who says they do?" :roll: )

He still believes that chinese special fried rice is healthy as it is just meat and rice and you don't fry it, he somehow ignored the fact I told him it was swimming in fat and fried it in a wok :roll:

I think he needs to work it out for himself rather than being told.

OH said he would accept the cleaning products if they worked as well.....

I like the hammer on the head approach, but I think there is a law against doing that :lol:

I wish there was a decent farm shop near here. There is a shop on a farm about 10 miles away which I been to a few of times. They sell battery eggs and childrens play equipment, potatoes and carrots and lots of fruit and veg which can't be grown in this country :? The farm has a field of free range chickens but I have only ever been able to buy their eggs twice :? No veg box shemes either unless you count the one which you have to subscribe to for a year by direct debit and it would mean I would have to travel another 10 miles to collect. The collection time is in the middle of the day when we are at work.

OH said my cleaning products didn't work as well as his. I have looked in the cupboard and OH has 18 bottles of stuff to clean the kitchen, bathrooms and hard floors. I have 3 :roll:

I do not think he will ever work it out for himself.

My weakness is eating out, dinner parties, barbeques and take-aways. Do other people just eat vegetarian? I much prefer meat dishes at restaurants but I'm guessing most wouldn't use organic meat. Most social events seem to be based round food (drinking, birthdays, vivas, lab meals, weddings.......) We usually eat out/have take-away at least once a week for various reasons.

It is hard when you are going out.

I tend to stick to fish or lamb(lamb cant be as intensively farmed as chicken / pigs etc.) and there are a couple of restaurants down here that do local organic food (but you need a bank loan to go :roll: )

I try to try the "drip drip" approach on family and friends when we go over theirs for meals and luckily many of our good friends already have free range meat. For those of them that dont I am considering "becoming" vegetarian, although I dont want to cause more trouble that I all ready am :wink: And of course some people think that if it is "finest" or similar it must be good :roll:

I do understand that there are many people on a budget with large families that do not have the opportunity to afford free range (but dont even get me started on that woman on River Cottage who orriginally played the "budget" card, but then admitted to eating free range organic duck at over £15 a time :evil::roll:

:) True, Mel, and I thought Hugh's point came across very well, that you can make the more expensive organic affordable, if you make the most of it. He then demonstrated getting 3 meals out of the original roast, which was far cheaper than the ready meals or take aways!

Same as you, Chocchick, I'm now where near 100% green living, but I keep trying to improve some aspects, and educate those around me, making small differences where I can. Even my own offspring are all going in different directions :roll: probably trying to be not at all like their parents, who0 can blame them? :lol::wink:

I'm amazed how my conversations have changed. A friend (who had started the subject by chance) said "I don't know how someone can eat an animal when they know it's name". Well, I shocked her by launching into rather know it's name and that it had a good life & death, than go to the shops and buy something anonymous wrapped in plastic. :shock: We were both speechless for a while, unusual for both of us.

I am now determined to go totallly organic after seeing this programme but it's not going to be easy - CTB will not eat vegatables at all and 17 year old son is very picky on food. Combined with the fact that I have so little time to prepare anything, it's gonna be very hard.

Wish the supermarkets did organic ready meals!!!!!