Mel (& Paul)

River Cottage

My hubby actually loves the green cleaning products.... not that he's particularly aware of their performance..... I win him over by playing to his Scrooge side, as making up my own surface cleaners and cleaning the windows with vinegar does work out a lot cheaper than using the chemical equivalents. That said I'm not wholly converted to green cleaning, morally I'd like to do more, but I also like to know that things are clean, and I'm afraid I'm still hooked on my washing powder, yes, the biological version :shock: and toilet bleach :oops::oops::oops:

I agree with all the comments made about meat, and I actively prefer organic/ free range with a known provenance etc, etc, but I budget by simply eating less meat, making it go further when we do have meat by bulking up with lots of vegetables or lentils, and going for the cheaper cuts. We eat a lot of fish and vegetarian dishes these days, and probably only have meat a couple of times a week.

Hubby and son don't necessarily always agree with me, but until they start doing the shopping and cooking it's a matter of them eating what I choose to serve up :wink: But I do know for sure that they eat any amount of rubbish at school/ work when I'm not involved in the food choices :roll::roll:

Sadly we very rarely eat out or have take-aways :(:( , so that's not an issue. I wish it was :wink: , but I generally prefer fish in restaurants anyway. I love sea bass and haven't ever managed to cook it as well at home as it's been cooked in a restaurant, so I go for that every time I get a chance when eating out :D:D

hmmm - we don't eat so much chicken & when we do, we buy them from the farm a few miles away & I know they are free range as you can see them strutting their stuff in 2 huge fields.

This is where I used to buy my eggs from before having my own hens.

They have a huge sign up saying happy hens and it always makes me smile!

I agree, we don't need to stuff ourselves with meat. I'm very very fussy over meat anyway. The slightest bit of stringy stuff and that is it!

I think kids that don't know what a vegetable is are disgraceful - I blame the parents! Gosh when me & my sister were little, mum & dad used to make faces on our plates out of vegetables & we always ate them! Plus there are so many veggies that can be mashed up & of course mum can always sneak them into a soup!!!! Potato carrot & swede mash with a bit of black pepper is just yummy!

Oh and I would never eat McDonalds or KFC!!!!! Just the thought of KFC makes me want to be sick - ugh! :vom:

:lol: You know me too well.

Blasted TV is pants anyway - someone gave us a Freeview box, so I wired it all up, TV, video and DVD thingy so that it works (can't get a lot of the channels here anyway) and it won't record anything - I tried turning off the freeview box and recording through the TV using video plus and it still won't do it. I only ever watch Casualty anyway and I couldn't even record that last week :roll:

AAAAhhhh!!!!

Got back from a meeting at 9.30 and darling OH had taped it for me. Even gave up his warm spot on the settee and said "put it on now darling". Get to the bit where they are just about to go off and do some real shooting and it all goes dead - HE MISSED HALF OF IT! HOW frustrating is that! :evil::evil:

On a calmer note - I hadn't seen much of Hugh Fearnley Whatsisname before this series. He's growing on me - a very pleasant sort of chap isn't he? :D