littlecrow

bantams or not !

we already have two chicks, good layers and settled in very fast back in april, we are now looking to add 2 more but as we only have a eglu we were looking for a smaller type.. Would it be ok to mix bantams and chickens? or is there a smaller type.. i wouldn't want them all squished up in there.

thank you

kim

GNR.. chicken george (Bluebelle) skitty (blue eglu)

You could try some of the bolshier bantams such as Pekins, they may well hold their own ok, I have a pekin in with four standard chickens and she rules the roost!

The Eglu itself is fine for 4 chickens (not the very big ones like Orps obviously) but th run size restricts you, if you can provide a large run you would be ok

Silkies are classed as large fowl but are between bantams and standard chickens in terms of size so you could consider them

We've got two hybrids and one Pekin bantam (was two but we just lost one) - it was a bit rocky at first but now they've all settled down really well. I think it helps that the Pekins are quite bolshy - Maud (our Pekin) is a real character and can hold her own. They all go round as a threesome now and are quite happy together. There wasn't any space crisis either when we had the four of them - they fitted perfectly well in the eglu.

Freya

Silkies are classed as large fowl but are between bantams and standard chickens in terms of size so you could consider them

i have three large sussex who live happily with my silkie bantam. she stands her ground if needed, i had a few fights recently when re-intergrating her after hatching chicks but everything has settled back to normal now!

Our wee pekin bantam gets on great with all the big girls, including the turkeys and her best friend is the turkey hen - talk about little and large! Great fiesty, friendly wee bird - would definately recommend pekin bantams!

I agree with Egluntine. My three bantams started fighting when they were in an eglu without an extension and before I let them free range, so I wouldn't like to have an LF in there too - no-where for the little ones to get out of the way. If you free range them a lot that may be different.

I have a friend with 2 Orps and 3 silkies and they are fine, but they free range all day (and the orps are very placid )

Tricia

Hi

I adore silver sebright bantams and would love to hatch some eggs, but i only have three normal hens and no bantams. Could i hatch bantam eggs under a broody hen and would the hen look after the chick?

And this might sound like a bit of a stupid question, but do bantam cockerells crow just as loud as normal cockerells??

Not sure about the hatching of eggs but I imagine it would work. Don't hold me to that though-I know nothing about hatching.

As for bantam cockerels-some people say that they can be just as loud, others say that they are quieter. Probably luck of the draw.

I have a pekin cockerel and his crow is really not too bad.

:D

Not sure about the hatching of eggs but I imagine it would work. Don't hold me to that though-I know nothing about hatching.

As for bantam cockerels-some people say that they can be just as loud, others say that they are quieter. Probably luck of the draw.

I have a pekin cockerel and his crow is really not too bad.

:D

I'd love a cockeral .. but the council wouldn't like it ... can you hire them ! :lol::lol:

:lol:

Our council allow cockerels providing that they are not allowed to cause a noise nuisance.

We are trying to keep everyone happy by keeping our cockerel quiet until 8 am during the week and 9 am weekends.

His crow is not too loud and by about 10 am he doesn't bother crowing anymore until around sunset when he has a little burst but that's it.

Of course people could complain and in the event that they do-we will take steps to try and solve any problems.

I will try anything before having to get rid of him. :lol:

Also, I would like to point out that as much as I live in a built up area, other people near to here have cockerels as well as the fact that even if I lived on farm-people can still complain and make you get rid of your cockerel so there isn't much point in people telling me that it is not acceptable to have a cockerel in a residential area :wink:

Makes no difference where you are-sometimes people complain. It's what they like to do :D