Rhesus

Nesting box - Straw, Hay or Sawdust??

We're currently using woodshavings for the nest box, but is this the best. I'm cautious about introducing lice or red mite into the cube which I understand could live in the hollows of the straw stalks?

Also, should I be using mite powder (and if so what brand) now as a prevention or only as a treatment. No problems yet and a strict cleaning regime every Saturday morning, full scrub and clean.

(cube green)

PP Doris GNR Hilda GNR Marjorie (white chicken) Elsie (white chicken) Grace

I use hemcore (hemp-based product like wood shavings which is dust -extracted and is treated with citronella to deter bugs) throughout our eglu with a small amount of straw in the nest box (which I change daily). Our chooks sometimes lay in our woodstore (where we keep the straw) if the nest box is 'busy' so they definitely like it! I also use Poultry Shield to clean the eglu thoroughly once a week and put some Stalosan powder over everything every few days.

I would avoid hay.

I use shavings on the floor of the coop and straw in the nesting box - I was advised to do this by the lady at Merrydale poultry.Am I doing the wrong thing? Should I not use straw? I change it every couple of days and always put red mite powder down in the coop and nesting box.Now I'm worried.. :?

I wouldn't worry i use straw in the nesting boxes and always have. My lot like to build proper nests and if i havn't got any they won't lay in them at all. provided you don't currently have mites you'll be fine

As my girls insist on sleeping in the nest box, I line with newspaper and use shreaded paper on top (with a nice sprinkle of Diatom). Cheap and cheerful as I have to change it out everyday.

When it starts getting dark at a time that severe bokking will not cause offence to my neighbours (or more to the point I won't feel too bad about the girls' noisy complaints :oops:) they will find a rugby ball in the nest box - that'll break the habit!

I use Megazorb in the actual coop and with the bark in the run - that will go in the nest box when I have cured the sleeping habit.

On 9/29/2009 at 9:50 PM, lozboz said:

I use sawdust in their nesting box and bedding area, (dust extracted). I did try straw at one point and thats when they got lice!!! Dont know if thats a coincidence but changed straight back to sawdust and not had any problems since.

Same! My girls only got lice when I began to use straw and it has been such a pain. I'm going to use shavings and shredded paper from now on so I hope this will sort it.