jen

A very sad day

My gingernut has been a bit off colour and I let them out this morning and she was not at all well. I took her to the vet and she was put down. Feeling a bit bad as I didn't notice earlier. That's the trouble with this time of year I suppose. Have scrubbed my eglu and the vet told me to keep an eye on the others just in case.

All my hens are moulting and my farm shop has run out of layers pellets for a few weeks so just feeding them on mixed corn, any ideas how I can give them a boost? Giving them hen tonic.

Oh Jen...what an awful time you must be having. Loosing a loved pet is just horrible, but especially at this time of year it seems doubley hard. Sending you lots of supportive hugs.

You could give them a boost with some porridge and natural bio yogurt. You can make a porridge from adding the yogurt to the pellets too. They'll love that.

You can also get poultry spice to add into their food and also a poultry tonic to add to their water. That will give them a health boost throughout the winter months. Omlet sell them in their online shop here http://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/shop.php?cat=Feed

You can also buy citricadel which you can add to their water and is also a good cleaning aid for the Eglu. http://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/shop.php?product_id=207

I'm sure you'll get lots of other great suggestions from other members when they hear your sad news.

Bestest wishes, thinking of you xxxx

:( Sad news Jen ... our Pepperpot was put to sleep, at the Bond Street vets in Macclesfield, they were very good and we replaced her with Mrs Snowy from Garden poultry, near Frodsham.

All three had been moulting, and Ginger who must be about 3 and 1/2 years old even started laying again. We then sadly found her dead in the eglu a couple of weeks ago ( Died from old age really). Mrs Snowy and Ebony have now started laying again, and are looking well too ... I got some poultry spice for Omlet, and that certainly seems to have given them a boost.

Chelford farm supplies usually have plenty of layers pellets and meal in stock.

Best wishes .... Sarahjo.

Thanks very much everyone. Nice to know other people know how it feels.

Thanks for the top feeding tips too. Will visit Chelford tomorrow and fingers crossed they will have pellets. I gave them some tuna this morning and was surprised how much they liked it. Gina mentioned making porridge out of natural yogurt...do you mix oats or their pellets with it?

Mabel crowed for ages last night before she went to sleep, her and margot always used to snuggle up together before the other two go in. Was very sad to see! :cry:

Jen I am sure Chelford have pellets in and organic mash my son works there on a Saturday and said they had some in............ :lol:

I make the Porridge with a mix of mash and oats mixed with water to make a crumbly mixture then mix in some yoghurt usually about a tablespoon is enough to make a mixture they can pick up, mine have it every day and love it.................. :lol: