Ziggy

Advice needed - dogs in cars

I've just ordered a double crate with a divider from Canine Concepts - I use them a lot, very good delivery etc. Jazz has her crate in the back but sometimes we need to fill the space with animal feed so she has her harness and sits on the back seat.

Someone mentioned this the other day http://www.benoxer.co.uk/html/smaller_quadrupeds.html - I wonder if you can have the longer strap to go around the back seat and attach more than one dog to it? I'd be interested to find out.

I've just ordered a crate from canine concepts too, for Charlie, with a divider so that we can adapt how much space he gets as he grows...

I ordered it yesterday afternoon, and got an email today saying it had been sent and should be with us tomorrow...

I've always been paranoid about car safety, when my human girls were little, I used to look at their car seats and get annoyed and upset that things never seemed to fit perfectly in my car, and that their safety sometimes seemed to depend on a little red clip holding on to the seatbelt properly (hard to explain, you had to see it, but it seemed odd), and how the c"Ooops, word censored!"at frame couldn't touch the seatbelt buckle and so on, it was a real headache... with DD4 we had an Isofix seat and I loved it...

The paranoid safety thing is now transferred to Charlie, for both his and my daughters' safety when he travels with us...

I am thinking of trying him on a seat with a harness clipped in the seat belt too when he has grown a bit (if he grows out of car sickness, the breeder suggested that might take a while), but read on another forum that as the seats are leather seats, the dog's claws would probably catch and damage the seat and be uncomfortable for the dog?

Jazz was only sick once and then she was fine.

When we went to collect some ducks she was on the back seat and I turned to her for most of the 20 minute journey - I stayed in the car with her while Carl put the ducks in the back - and then we drove home again........by the time we got home she'd chewed through the seatbelt :evil: The car was only a few days old :roll: She's mostly in her crate now.

Jazz was only sick once and then she was fine.

When we went to collect some ducks she was on the back seat and I turned to her for most of the 20 minute journey - I stayed in the car with her while Carl put the ducks in the back - and then we drove home again........by the time we got home she'd chewed through the seatbelt :evil: The car was only a few days old :roll: She's mostly in her crate now.

Poppy our middle one chewed through THREE seatbelts before DH accepted that a crate was a good idea, although even then I over-ruled him & put her in it despite his displeasure :wall:

Each one she did it whilst I was dropping children in at school and was less then 10 mins each time :roll:

Sha x

This is the one that should be arriving today........

car-crate-a2.jpg

The one side will be far too big for the puppy for a while but we have a small crate that will fit inside that and we also have a divider which I hope will fit to make the one side smaller for a while.

According to the measurements it won't fit in the space between the wheel arches in the back of the Defender by 3cm :? We have made a wooden platform for one side now for Jazz's crate so that we have a level area - the space under it comes in really handy for storage - we'll have to make a full width platform for this one.

This is the one that should be arriving today........

car-crate-a2.jpg

I thought I'd better say that this picture is a bit misleading - the Labs look full-grown but I wouldn't put a dog any larger than Jazz in this! Jazz is petite and weighs less than 24 kg. She fits in one side but we've moved the divider so that she has more than half of the space. We're hoping that as Tali grows they will be happy enough to share the space without the divider in at all as that will be the best use of the space.

Well i brought Lola a black harness today. Havn't had chance to put in on her to see if it fits ok yet. The pet shop said i can take it back if its no good. I did forget to ask whether they sold the c"Ooops, word censored!"at adapter things so for now she will be on the floor tied to something with her harness on. I'll just have to go back in next week.

The lady in the petshop said she knew of a few people that had been fined £50 on the spot for not having their dogs secure in cars. I'm glad i've read it on here now as otherwise i would never have known. Yet another good thing about the omlet forum!

Fortunately I have lots of dog crates in varying sizes...the advantages of being a chook owner :wink:

I'll be starting with the little size one for the first few weeks whilst Sam gets used to be being in the car, then I'll try the built in boot guard ( I always knew it would come in handy one day :lol: ) and I'll also get Sam a harness for the rear seatbelts for the times when I need the boot space :D

But first I have to get Sam...only 6 sleeps to go :wink::roll:

I used to have a crate in the car for my dog but it was very inconvenient, it depends a lot on the size of the dog, my dog is rather large and therefore the crate was massive and hard for me to get in and out of the car, I was always struggling. These days I have a spare lead attacjed to a head restraint and he is attached to that so that when I open the boot he can't escape.

These days I have a spare lead attacjed to a head restraint and he is attached to that so that when I open the boot he can't escape.

I tried that & one of the silly minxes (the baby no less :roll: ) managed to tie herself in a knot & nearly hung herself...fortunately it was at our destination rather than on the road..DH is being difficult & isn't happy about a cage, but doesn't seem to want to move forward on a tailgate or dog guard....I could scream I really could :evil:

Sha x

I used to have a crate in the car for my dog but it was very inconvenient, it depends a lot on the size of the dog, my dog is rather large and therefore the crate was massive and hard for me to get in and out of the car, I was always struggling. These days I have a spare lead attacjed to a head restraint and he is attached to that so that when I open the boot he can't escape.

Is the lead attached to his collar or harness? If it's attached to a collar, then any sudden stop or impact could damage or possibly break his neck :?:?

Some form restraint be it a dog guard, harness or crate is important. My OH had a client whose 2 small dogs had a fight in the back of the car. I ran under the feet of the driver who couldn't apply the brakes - they died, 1 dog survived with a serious injuries and unfortuantely this isn't an urban myth, it really happened. :(

Quick update, apparently a Renault dog guard (so it should fit :pray: ) has been ordered & will arrive tomorrow.............thank goodness, we've been confined to barracks & the dogs are being destructive in their boredom :roll: It's not safe to walk them from home as there are no pavements & high speed artics...not a good combo...and the field at the back of the house is used for pheasant rearing for the shooting season, so our girls are not welcomed there either!!

Sha x

**Edited for typo :oops: **

Edited by Guest