bellekatz

An eggcellent day!!!

I have just got home from School (Ofsted inspection today!) having managed to buy my son a Nintendo Wii for his birthday (he doesn't know yet) to find our first

Blue egg

Four egg day!!!

Ellie, our Cream Legbar, having been with us since September has finally laid her very first egg. It is quite small-only 35g - and compared to the others it look tiny but she has finally made it into the grown up chicken world!

:lol::lol::lol:

I think I am destined to NEVER have a blue egg...

I bought a Legbar (supposedly cream) but did she lay blue eggs? No. I bought 2 hybrid Jasmines supposedly 70% of them lay blue eggs - did either of them lay blue. No. In desperation last August I bought a Lavender Araucana and a Buff Araucana from a breeder and have waited and waited... Unfortunately a fox chewed through our hen run and took the Lavender Araucana but I still had high hopes for the Buff Araucana. However yesterday there was a lovely tiny egg on the roosting bars of the eglu. Certainly not one of the "big girls". Yep, I am sure that it is the Buff Araucana's. it is perfect in every way however it is a dark tan colour!

Blue eggs are special aren't they?

Depends on when your hens were hatched Topsyaj, if they are hatched later in the spring or in the early summer then they will probably lay all through their first winter, but will then have a moult the following autumn and not lay that winter. Obviously this varies from one hen to the next and also depends on whether they are pure breeds or hybrids; hybrids are bred to lay almost without break for their whole life and thus don't live as long. Pure breeds like my lot lay a lot less eggs and look for any chance not to lay if they can :roll:

Thanks all - The blue egg was poached for my lunch and was tasty!! The Wii has arrived and is hidden away until OH gets back at the weekend and we can make sure it works OK :wink: Ofsted went well - looks like it is overall Good with some Oustanding area - (one of which is ICT (my area!) so I am well chuffed all round today!!! :lol::lol:

Thanks the for info re laying and moulting - They are a ginger nut ranger and a Miss pepperpot.

Well done on the Osted - We were done just before Christmas - not as painful as the olden days - We got good which will do for me :D

What is the wii like? Is it as good as the eyetoy?