susan l

The ecstasy and the agony....

Talullah laid her first egg this morning, YIPPEEEE, the joy, the elation, the pride :dance:

BUT it was broken by the time I got to it :( . She had laid it under the grub feeder and it obviously got trampled or something. So, I don't know what it tasted like, am gutted about that. But, keeping my chin up, tomorrow is another day, and hopefully another chance to try a home-laid egg!

Quick question: Some of it has spilled onto their bark chippings, will it harm the girls if they eat any of it?

Do keep your eye on the chooks and collect the eggs asap, we got a bit lazy about collecting early in the day last year and now Pepper has a real taste for fresh laid egg...who can blame her!!! and it is now a race each day as to who gets there first. She frequenrly eats her own egg and Gingers too if she can the little minx. There is not much you can do once they start so it is best never to let them get a taste for it!

That is an interesting tip, I have heard a similar idea for dogs that steal food, you leave a hot mustard sandwich on the worksurface and they take it and decide its not such a good thing to do afterall. I've never had the need to try it out with my two!

Some first eggs can be a bit thin shelled. If she lays tomorrow, it might be stronger but keep an eye on her if you can and remove it as soon as it's laid if you're able to to prevent accidents. Jenny's just come back into lay after a couple of months off while she moulted and her first post-moult egg broke when she laid it but the 2 subsequent ones have been fine.

With this weather they may take a while to hit their stride. I didn't have any eggs at all for 3 months, while the posh little madams moulted, and then decided that they quite liked not laying :roll: They're starting again now though. In the summer, I have more eggs than I need and give them to friends and neighbours in exchange for donations to the BHWT.

Thanks Claret! Reassuring to know that it's not just my girls being flighty in their egg-laying! Betsy's comb is coming along nicely but she's nowhere near as rosy red as Talullah. Talullah has also started squatting when I go near her, but this backfires as Betsy then tramples her to get to whatever treats I might have. They are funny things :) . I'm looking forward to next weekend when the fences in our garden have been fixed and they can free range once more.

Tell you what, the first egg is VERY special, you do the egg dance, sit and admire it and decide how to cook it. But even after that every egg is special (especially with my girls - a couple of them only lay eggs once a month :roll: ), taking them warm out of the nest and holding them against my cheek is a favourite. Rosie weighs each egg and we log them on a spreadsheet, she writes in pencil the hen's name, the date it was laid and the weight on each egg so that we can 'thank the right hen' when we eat her egg.

I once opened the egg port as Sadie was about to lay, I stroked her back while she strained and caught the egg as it came out hot and wet - that was very special :D

No, I can imagine they wouldn't!

But PROGRESS! Came home from shopping today to a lovely fresh egg in the run! All in one piece, too! So chuffed, I weighed it, 56g, so officially a medium sized egg. Daisy (baby daughter) and I will share it for brekkie tomorrow. It will be Daisy's first ever egg, have been putting off giving her any until our girls laid one for her.

Now all I have to do is get them to lay in the nesting box..... :?

BLIMEY! :o Two days in row, an egg in the nesting box!! Am so chuffed, I think it's still just Talullah laying, but Betsy is finally getting a proper comb and a bit pink, so maybe she wont be long. I didn't even have to put a pretend egg in the box, she just started using it, clever Talullah. Hurrah, I love chickens! :D