CannyCat

Chickenproof garden?

Our poor, poor garden has been totally decimated since we got our chooks! :shock:

Before:

chook3.jpg

After:

after.jpg

We're going to re-do the garden this spring. We're going to create a bigger wood and chicken-wire run (can't afford eglu extensions!) and put the eglu in that. Although they'll still get let out often enough I worry they get bored while I'm at work in that dinky run!

My partner is going to grow some veg this summer. They're going to need to be in raised veggie beds, as our soil doesn't drain well (what soil we have left, that is :roll: ). Does anyone have experience of chicken proofing veggie beds? What's the best method?

Also, can anyone give me some names of inexpensive plants which Chickens don't like to eat? Just "pretties"; something to inject a little greenery back into the mud-pit :lol: There's quite a large patio area just off the photo, so I hope to have lots of pots.

(and in the unlikely event that there is a type of grass chickens don't like, PLEASE let me know!! :lol: )

Thanks,

Catherine

Edited by Guest

Hi Catherine

i have raised beds and have just finished chicken proofing them!

I bought a roll of chicken wire about 1.2 metres high and cut it in half down the middle, if you see what i mean? i then threaded the wire through bamboo canes and put them round the beds. They take 2 secs to pull out when i need to work on the bed. Hope this helps :?

We had our veggie beds completely separate and behind trellis and Omlet netting.

We had a Bay tree in the chickens area which they didn't eat :? They ate the lavender bushes though.

You'll need to put large stones in the top of the pots to stop the hens rooting out all the soil and making dust baths in them.

The plastic mesh trellis type stuff on a roll is good too, especially the dark green as it sort of disappears. Homebase sell it and I think it's around £15-£20 a roll.

Plants chickens don't eat??? You could try something a bit fierce like Berberis or Pyracantha I suppose??

We had our veggie beds completely separate and behind trellis and Omlet netting.

We had a Bay tree in the chickens area which they didn't eat :? They ate the lavender bushes though.

You'll need to put large stones in the top of the pots to stop the hens rooting out all the soil and making dust baths in them.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that! (speaking of stones, does anyone else's chickens eat their pebble-dashing?!! :roll: )

I have tazmainian tree fern, bamboo's, grasses (our garden is like a jungle :) ) my girls like picking at the grasses in pots (I DID have a nice bright blue grass which they pecked to death).

But the bamboo's and ferns in the ground they dont peck the leaves - they just hang around waiting to catch the spiders and cretins that lurk on them!

Im going to put all my smaller potted stuff into higher pots this year.

We have a couple of bamboos in our chicken's part of the garden (ie the largest part). The chickens like to eat these, but can only reach the lower leaves, and the bamboo is so fast growing that they achieve a balance. Also, it's quite entertaining watching them jump up to reach the higher bits. As they don't often get to go on the lawn, especially in winter, at least they're getting their 'greens'.

I think all chickens must have different tastes or perhaps it is to do with the time of year and new growth in the spring time. Our 2 had ignored the cyclamen till last weekend when the decimated them, ate all the leaves but left the flowers! The now look very odd.

Plants that have been ignored so far are pieris, rhodendrons, hebes, lavander, box, cotinus (smoke bush), skimia and choisya. All well established before the chickens arrived which may have something to do with it.

Things they have totally destroyed are;

any ground cover, if the dont eat it they dig it up looking for slugs etc)

Pansies, polyanthus

The grass is not suffering quite so much since we moved the chooks to their winter quarters on the patio with bark under the run. We no longer have to cross the grass to get to them so a lot less human traffic has helped.

Good luck with the garden

ps window boxes are not safe from the hungry chicken, Henrietta takes a flying leap and lands in the window box, tramples around a bit then settles down to eat the lot!

Thanks so much guys! I've written all this down and I'm compiling a list for my redesign :D A woman at a small family-owned garden centre also said they won't eat heather, although they will probably scratch it to smithereens...

Has anyone tried them with rhubarb?

(You know, they even ate my aloe vera...)

Does anyone know of a good book or website on garden design? That is, designs for "working" gardens, as opposed to ornamental gardens?

Has anyone tried them with rhubarb?

My two hooligans haven't eaten our rhubarb yet ........ they are allowed out for a couple of hours every afternoon and scratch around the new shoots but no damage so far. Perhaps they know rhubarb leaves are poisonous? or they've had little nibble and found they taste nasty?

I wasn't very happy when I found them leaping up to grab the buds off the azalea, though :evil::D Bad girls!

My partner is going to grow some veg this summer. They're going to need to be in raised veggie beds, as our soil doesn't drain well (what soil we have left, that is :roll: ). Does anyone have experience of chicken proofing veggie beds? What's the best method?

Thanks,

Catherine

Its taken me ages to finally work out how to paste a photo, but here goes!

IMG_0177.jpg

It isnt the prettiest of things, but its in the veg garden and at least the girls can't wreck it! You just pull the bamboo stakes out when you need to get to the bed, really simple.

Good luck with your veggies - if you need seeds, there is a seed swap post in the self-sufficient life section :wink:

C x