CannyCat

Chickenproof garden?

Reading this with interest as I want to plant something inside my hens pen, just to make it look nicer :D

I planted outside my run to give the illusion of it being nice inside :D The Honeysuckles grew through the wire and looked very pretty in the Summer :D They have just started to grow again so I am going to train them inside the run just underneath the roof. The scent from the Honeysuckle made the run smell a bit nicer in the hot weather as well :D

I've got plant pots that are about 2 ft high but they've decided it's fun to jump up and eat the contents....... its not fair, my garden has only got three plant pots in it cos most of it is decking and I'm desperate to find something to grow in the summer that they wont eat......preferably with flowers on!!!!

Help :cry:

I've got plant pots that are about 2 ft high but they've decided it's fun to jump up and eat the contents....... its not fair, my garden has only got three plant pots in it cos most of it is decking and I'm desperate to find something to grow in the summer that they wont eat......preferably with flowers on!!!!

Help :cry:

They've not eaten my pansies, and we also have a bush they avoid with flowers on - looks kind of like a chamomile or daisy bush.

Mine were out a lot the year before last and the first half of last year, and didn't eat hebe's, rhodedendron, magnolia (all babies), honeysuckle, choisia, vinca periwinkle, spirea, hydrangea, red hot poker, heather, and various other unidentifiable shrubs and plants.

They do eat: Grass, pansies, geraniums, all soft fruit, windfalls. I didn't notice much else except the tomatoes, which I rescued in time.

Toward the end of last year we got a sighthound, and have her on a long lead so she can get half way down the garden but no further. The hens have worked out to stay on the other half. Fortuitously, this is also where not much planting occurs, and is mainly shrub, or tatty grass, as well as the fruiting bushes, which I net, and not just to keep the hens off.

Hi all.

I am new to the forum. We're gardeners so we are devastated by what's happened to our garden too. One of our chooks, Denise, is a real escape artist. We have a 1 year old (human), and we'd love for her to be able to use the garden, but the chickens have dislodged all sorts of glass bits and builders rubble out of the ground.

We're biting the bullet tomorrow and BUYING lawn - can you believe we used to have to mow every other week? It's a sports field hard wearing mix so will keep you all posted on whether it lives up to its claims.

I love the girls, but geez Louise, it's like having 2 more children!

Rebecca, Julian and Betty Jean

(and Heather and Denise).

They are messy, aren't they. We used the Omlet fencing last summer and it was perfect - very light and easy to install once we got it untangled and kept them contained in their own messy area.

The good side is that their mountains of poo are wonderful for your compost heap so your veggies will be delicious!

We kind of accepted that the garden would be "re-designed" by the chickens and so we don't get too upset about it. We are building a large run for them to live in during the Winter months as the garden is too boggy then anyway, even without those scratchy feet :roll:

As for eating plants, the three GNR didn't touch the pl,ants until they saw the three PP doing it and now they'll eat just about anything. Luckily my plants are all pretty well established so they only nibble the bottom. Every hedge looks like a standard now!