Griffin

I've Been Egg Shopping! *New pics page 12*

I've been fighting the urge to hatch some more Silkies out for a few weeks now but caved in this week and arranged to go and buy some cuckoo Silkie eggs this morning :D As we all know incubators work best at full capacity *cough* *splutter* I simply had to fill it up with others too :dance: So going in tomorrow will be 6 cuckoo Silkies, 6 frizzle Silkies, 6 gold pencilled Hamburgs plus one mutant egg laid by Tiger Lily this morning. She's been the object of affection from dearly departed Dino the blue Orp and soon to be departed Boris the black Orp and Steve the Speckled Sussex. I dread to think what the poor baby will look like but I can't help myself :lol: We've never had a homegrown before so I might as well and will pray that it's a girl :lol:

I'm particularly looking forward to being able to sex the cuckoo Silkies early as with other cuckoo breeds the boys barring is much lighter than the girls, none of the usual waiting six months :D Watch them all be boys now :roll:

Edited by Guest

:mrgreen: Its all starting again! Lots of (hatch)(hatch):D

Lewis is getting jealous though ... maybe after exams I'll plant a few hints with mother ... because I'm really subtle with things like that :angel:

:whistle:

If we can go to another show I don't think there'd be much argument, the National is what got me the WIR :lol:

Fingers crossed for girls! :pray:

I have a Light Sussex cockerel and its so exciting putting my own eggs in the incubator (or under Peggy my Red/Black Araucana like last year) I'm never sure what I'll get as I have soooo many different hens running with him. So far though I think my brown layers and the Light Sussex girls seem to be his fav. Not sure how long I'll have babies from Bert as hes nearly 4 and limps about, Whats the oldest any of you have had a cockerel for thats been fertile??

Dyan

Good luck with your eggs! (hatch)

Tigers egg was clear :roll: I've just candled for the first time, dead easy with Silkie eggs and the Hamburgs were a doddle too, nice light shells. Left in there now are:

3 Cuckoo Silkies

4 Frizzle Silkies

4 Hamburgs

I'm not too sure about one of the Hamburgs, it looks a day or so behind the rest but I left it in for now. Only 16 very long days to go :roll:

They're not as frizzley as a normal frizzle but the feathers on their neck point upwards rather than down or out like normal Silkies. Their hair-do is different too. The bonus with these particular ones is that after over a year of breeding them it's become clear to their breeder Luci that all the boys have gold hi-lights on their necks, just like my Nymphadora had, so it'll be easy to remove them early. My little blue Silkie Nelly is a frizzle, I'll have to take photos of her, that's if she can stay still for more than 0.3 seconds :lol:

I am beside myself with excitement already :dance: Today is day 15 and the end can't come soon enough for me. It's due in part to the incubator being in my kitchen now instead of garage so I see it more often, I must peer in at the eggs at least ten times a day :lol: I swear I saw a Hamburg wobble yesterday. How anything can hatch out of an egg that tiny I don't know! I'm off to get a cup of tea and I'll have another look while I'm there :D

I've got everything ready, I'm just so impatient! I've never done a whole load of bantams in the incubator before, I guess they could hatch early and if they do I haven't a clue how early. Since Doughnut hatched on day 18 and that's tomorrow I hope to see some action at least then or Saturday.