lindsayp

Orpington advice

Hi Everyone

I wondered if anyone had any experience of buying POL orpingtons in the Berks/Oxon area? We are just sorting out a new larger free range area for our 4 hybrid chickens and are thinking of expanding our flock to include some orpingtons. However, I can't seem to find any for sale and was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a reputable breeder.

Also, do you think orpingtons are a good choice to mix with our hybrids? Has anyone had issues with bullying (I have read orps can be a little timid)? Are they friendly enough to mix with toddlers?

Thanks for your help :)

Um a little timid isn't quite the word. They do whinge a lot like "whaaaaahhhhh"! Intro's usually see them a little "peckish" to remind the other birds that they are in charge, but I have heard of worse. The worst attack we've ever had here was our Sioux pounce on Apache. Apache was moulting and Sioux just jumped on her back and pulled loads of feathers out. That was rather a shock because usually they are BBF's and always go around together. It hasn't happened since, thankfully (liberal coating of anti peck spray seems to have sorted that out). When introducing the Eggy babes, Apache and Skye were having a bit of a face off (Skye climbing up the netting separating them). Since they were forced together at night during the snowy period (more body warmth) there was a little bit of pecking at first but nothing too bad - quite polite after some intro's I've read about. I think they all appreciated the snuggling up. After that we let them all range together in the garden - lots of space to escape cranky birds (mainly the buff Sussex who had her nose put out of joint was chasing and pecking the silkie). The little ones have discovered that they can sneak up underneath the fat girlies feather knickers and they all seem to be fine now. Most of the time Apache will attempt to peck when someone sneaks up on her but she never makes contact - the others just dodge. I think the Orpies are just too big to bother much and waste valuable energy when they can be filling their faces. :lol: Sioux isn't called Piggy Sioux for nothing! :roll:

Not sure of where to get your girls from - we got ours from Wiltshire. Wernlas is very popular with the peeps on here but they only seem to do Buff Orpies on their list - perhaps they will get more. There must be more breeders near you and someone will be on here with some good advice soon.

Just another thought - big fat girls have huge flapping wings - my nose has been numb a few times when picking them up incorrectly - which may be an issue with an over keen toddler wanting big hugs. Other than that they weigh a ton, but hunker down nicely on your lap - even if you do get dead legs after a while! :lol:

Hi Koojie, thanks for your reply.

It looks like having plenty of space might prevent any serious s"Ooops, word censored!"s from breaking out then! I'd be interested to know where you got your two orps from in Wiltshire as it may not be too far for us to travel and I would love a blue orpington :mrgreen:

Orps are docile. Your toddler should be fine (although possibly at eye level with the bird! And they would be too large for a small child to handle, but they're great for stroking!) An orp's usual tactic is to raise themselves up to full size and administer a few sharp pecks to get anybody smaller to submit. They then bumble off and eat all the food! This is fine if the other bird gives in, but some hybrids and other breeds will stand their ground and you would have to watch the situation.

Regarding a breeder for blues - one the top 5 guys in the country is Matt Hanson. He's just outside Luton in Beds.

Yep - food conquers all in Orpie world! :lol:

Ours came from here:

http://www.wylyevalleychickens.co.uk/index.htm

Love the set up, lovely and clean healthy birds. Saddles on the breeding hens. We also got eggs for the Buff Orpie to hatch from there.

Or The Devonshire Traditional Breed Centre in Exeter is very well laid out and have partridge Orpies there, and gold laced ones (you should see the GL boys - beautiful). Very nice cafe there too (and lots of little bantams running around).

Hmmmm pity I already have a blue one. :think:

Koojie, is the lady's name Fleur at Wylye Valley?

This may be where my (adopted) girls came from originally :think:

My dowager duchesses (2 splash & 2 blue) are fairly docile, unless provoked as has been mentioned., and they can peck with some force...I've had a lump taken out of my lip by one who was unimpressed at being cuddled when I first got her, so I'd be a little wary of letting toddlers too close & grabbing hold, but the same could be said about any chook, if they feel unnerved or threatened they will peck...and an Orpie beak is big and hard :shock: and however short their wings, they are very powerful if flapped in your arms & face :cry:

Most of the time they are a joy to have in the garden.....give them 20 yards and they will run & bounce...never fly as they can't get their fluffy bums of the ground....the physics of big bulk & little wings doesn't add up to great flights :lol:

Mine are not great layers........when they are good & ready they will perform, and stop again at the drop of a hat too :roll: They do however make great handwarmers in the colder days & despite an initial shriek & flap of discontent when I first catch them, I then have dopey sleeping bundles on my lap for ages :D

Sha x

Orptingtons = laid back!

I started with Orps and although I have various breeds now I love my Orpie ladies and have added a lovely partridge lady just recently.

I agree with everyones comments here :)

Top chook within my flock of 21 is my Splash Orp. She rules with a calm authority and 'tis true....ruled by her tummy!

I am only now experiencing a broody Orp and determined isn`t the word!!! My buff is camped out in the nest box scooping up every egg she can lay her wings on.....screaming at anyone that ventures too close. Hormonal much!!!???

still doing her pancake impression then :lol: bless her cottons.

I have two orpies aswell and echo what the others have said..

That reminds me I ahve to get up to date photos of them on the forum

Psychotic pancake!!!!! :shock: bless her cottons my ****!!!!

And yes Mrs!!! Updated pics of the ladies are required!!!

Yes Wylye Valley is Fleur indeed. Very nice lady - she has little kiddiwinkies. When we first saw them they were both toddlers in and around the chickens come to think of it. The second time the little girl must have been about 3 by then.

I remember the chickens going for my teeth - ugh!

Love them running - they hoist up their bloomers and run just like the Disney cartoon chickens! :lol: Whereas the pekins seem to run with their drawers round their ankles. :lol:

I agree with what everyone else has said, Orps are very friendly birds and definatly entertaining!

I read that they aren't the best of layers but since having my 2 Buffs one of them has come into lay and she lays almost everyday, and nice sized eggs too! Still waiting for my other though.... :whistle:

I do agree with Koojie, they do have a very funny run! I've always find myself laughing at them storming down the garden :lol:

.......and if they get caught in a cross wind............ :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

My Pekins look like demented pompoms when they run..........so very very entertaining :clap::lol::lol:

Ooooo Em are you going to put something worthy of her attentions in the nest then :whistle: Determined is definitely a word to use with Orpies in broody pancake mode......I'm sure she's not as stupid as Buffie, just watch her eating habits though :anxious:

Yes Wylye Valley is Fleur indeed.

Ooo good, I'm sure it was Daphne who wanted to know where my Dowagers duchesses came from, all their previous mum could remember was Fleur near Salisbury when I asked.......... Daphne oh Daphne my Orpies are from Wylye as per the link above :D .....there do you think she heard :roll::lol:

Maybe I should go to bed :anxious:

Sha x

Was somebody shouting for me? OH? No, he's at work. Cats? No they're asleep. Hens? No, they're too busy with beaks in troughs. Must have been a dream.....zzz zzz zzz :D

I'm off to Devon & Cornwall in March .... I go through the Wylye Valley area .... I may just pop in for a look. Not to buy. Obviously. :lol:

Ooooo Em are you going to put something worthy of her attentions in the nest then :whistle: Determined is definitely a word to use with Orpies in broody pancake mode......I'm sure she's not as stupid as Buffie, just watch her eating habits though :anxious:

Sha x

No plans to indulge her at the moment as it is still a little chilly :whistle:

I have been pulling her out of the nestbox before work and she is filling her face. I have been checking her crop each night too when i go and claim all the eggs she has shuffled under herself and her crop is full too. So far so good.

And I wouldn`t be so fast to say "not so stupid as buffie"....... she currently has a bald head and neck cos Fizz has been letting her know that she is not happy about the nestbox hogging by plucking her! Stupid Orp won`t get up, move or fight back :roll: She is being re-located to the (purple eglu) this evening......how much do you want to bet that she returns to the (cube green) within ten mins!!!

That would have been mid to late Feb last year. Keep an eye on her for eating - Cheyenne wouldn't eat - she would just make sure the chicks ate - even if you gave her food she would make one of the babes eat it (even separating her she was all flustered and refused to eat). Once she was ranging it was harder to spot - she was eating clover and grass, but she found potato leaves and in spite of us fencing it off she still managed to get at it. Probably that was the root cause of her downfall. :( But by that time the chicks were managing very well on their own. So decided this year if anybody dares to pancake themselves they will be put in the sin bin. :roll: