Jillus

Amazing act of kindness/compassion

Thanks for posting this - it's good to have a reminder that there are still people like this around. I suspect, as others have said, that this elderly gentleman is hanging on to his independence and trying not to be a burden to others.

I hope you'll pass some of these comments on to your niece, she deserves a commendation for dealing so kindly and tactfully with him.

What a wonderful girl she is. I would for all my good intentions find that very hard to do, she is a real gem. You are entitled to be extremely proud of her. :clap:

I have to agree with you there. As I was reading the post I was wondering how I would have reacted in the same situation. To my shame, I don't think that I would have done as much as your niece did. Having read about her actions, I hope that I might be a little more compassionate in future.

You are proud and justly so. For your niece to help a stranger so is extraordinary.

BUT, you know what makes me so angry about this post?

The fact that we as a society don't seem to care. Why can we not all look after each other especially our own family?

The Government is making all sorts of penalising tax laws to facilitate a state fund for the care of old people. My mum is 86 and with quite severe circulatory problems. She finds it difficult to get around and is very forgetful but is still extremely self sufficient. She is staying with me for a few weeks and just this morning completely out of the blue( to own up though she might possibly have been reading something in the Daily Mail) she begged me not to put her in a home when she was unable to care for herself. Her eyes glazed with tears and I could see she was away somewhere in her youth or early marriage,perhaps. It broke my heart. Why is it we abandon our parents and seek to palm them off on often inadequate state care? My mother gave birth to me, nurtured me and sacrificed much to bring me up and the least I can do is look after her in her old age.

Sorry rant over and sorry for hijacking your thread.

agree with all of the above - its lovely to hear a story of kindness like that even if it was unfortunate for the gentleman your niece met. Getting a commuter train home from London every day, ive met some pretty rude people over the years who haven't even given their seat up for someone elderly let alone gone that extra mile. You have every reason to be proud :)

A lovely story. :)

But I like OSH am furious. It's just so wrong that it's seen as 'special' behaviour.

I just don't get how people can walk past people who clearly need help - whether it's help holding a door open, seeing someone passed out on the pavement, in tears or needing their poop cleared up. When I see that behaviour like this is seen as being special rather than the norm, it makes me want to leave the planet. :(

it does take a special kind of person to be able to deal with human mess I think. When my dad was ill I could deal with most things but I just couldn't do the poop thing (he had a colostomy bag). Especially when he had C diff :vom: My stomach just wouldn't let me. It had nothing to do with not being a caring person, it was my vomit reflex that let me down.

I suspect there are a lot of people out there who can't do vomit, poop etc and those that can deal with that deserve a huge pat on the back.

I'm not saying I'd have walked past the old guy but I'd have had to have soufght help from someone else.

I think your niece is amazing!

Now, I have changed plenty of nappies in my time (I've got 4 kids, now grown up), but

I would agree with Poet. I consider myself a pretty caring person, too, but would find cleaning another adult's poo quite a challenge. :? So, once again, well done to the fabulous neice who coped so well! :D

Saronne x

Well done to your nice niece!

I too would like to think I would do the same but not sure I could. My gran is in a home and is 95 1/2 she spent last week in A&E for a few hrs becuase she eouldnt ring the bell to get help to go to the toilet! she is very stubborn and doesnt want to put people to trouble!

at 87 she still lived at home and locked herself out of the house. instead of asking a neighbour to call us (2 miles down the road) she borrowed a ladder and climbed into the upstairs bathroom window she had left open!