Jillus

Amazing act of kindness/compassion

Just had to crow about this. :clap::clap: Excuse the long post but I think this is worth telling.

Yesterday my niece who is 24 was waiting to board a train when an elderly gentleman was being helped on to the train by his daughter. My niece assisted and ended up sitting with the very old man, over 90 she thought. After a while my niece fell asleep but awoke half an hour later to find the old man in tears. She asked what was wrong and through the tears he said he had had an accident. She asked him if he would like her to help him to the loo and he reluctantly said yes as he was unable to walk on his own. She then discovered that the accident had not just been a wee. So she took him to the loo and as he was unable to undo his trousers as his hands were shaking so much and he had a tremor so she helped him and then suggested that she get him some clean clothes from his suitcase, he was truly embarrassed by all this but had no option but to agree. When my neice had the clothes she noticed that he would need his legs washed and he was unable to do it himself so she got a flannel from his bag and washed him, helped him to get dressed and packed his soiled clothes away in a carrier and then helped him back to his seat.

You might think that she is a nurse or carer but she is just a lovely girl, a member of our armed forces and I am bursting with pride to think that she felt able to help this very old man in this way. She said to me that she just imagined, what if it had been her grandad and she hoped someone might have helped him out.

I am not sure what I think about his daughter allowing someone so frail to travel alone but that is another matter. Right now I am just so impressed by this young woman. I wonder how many other people would have done the same thing?

Thank goodness there are people out there who still give a damn, and that there are parents out there who teach them too

I read yr post and am so proud to hear that there are young persons who are kind and considerate

Good on her, and thanks to her for all of us who have had/have elderly folk who sometimes need a bit of help to maintain their dignity

Good for her!! :clap::clap:

Would have been very easy for her to have walked away.

Just to say to the gentlemans families defence, he may have insisted on travelling (what may have been) a short distance alone? He was helped onto the train, maybe there was someone waiting for him at the other end?

Just offering the other possibility. Independance can be so important - and it can be a fine line sometimes between getting it right and wrong, especially if you are very close to someone. I would hope they would never have knowingly put him in that situation!

Well done to your lovely niece. What a great thing to do for the poor old man. I'm sure that not many people would have helped him out in that way.

I have to agree with C & T, it could be that the man insisted on travelling alone. I know my Nan was very stubborn and wouldn't have wanted to be fussed over (even if she needed help).

I too wondered about the old man being fiercely independent. His daughter may never have envisaged such a dreadful thing happening but at least by my nieces actions he retained his dignity, it could all have been so much worse for him. He may have been put on a train by one daughter and being shipped off down the track to another who was going to meet him off the train. Who Knows?

And she is a lovely ,lovely young lady! :D

Well done that girl :clap:

I have a 90 year old Grandad who is fiercy independent, I would like to think should he find himself in such a situation someone like her would come to his aid.

I can only imagine how the poor man must have felt. My Gran once had a similar accident at my DS's Christening and she was so shaken by it. She however was surrounded by her nearest and dearest, I do wonder if in some way that made it worse. Although it would be nice if this man were to sing your niece's praises, if he doesn't it may be so that he can preserve his privacy and dignity with his family.

That's a lovely tale...

I should imagine that a lot of people would either have turned a blind eye or gone to find an employee on the train to deal with it. It must've been dreadfully embarrassing for the gentleman but at least only the two of them were aware of what had happened.

What a special person she must be to show such compassion for a total stranger! :clap:

What a fantastic and kind niece! I am sure the old gentleman appreciated her kindness.

I do know that elderly people can be extremely stubborn and also over-estimate their ability to do things that a few years ago would have been easy for them. He may well have wanted to show that he can travel alone.

You have every right to feel proud, I am all teared up after reading that.

That is how society should treat the elderly, I am so glad she was there to help him keep his dignity.

I hope his family begin to realise how frail he is :? , we used to have to make up errands in the destinations my grandma was going to so that she believed she was doing us a favour by sharing the fuel cost or keeping us company on the journey :roll: , she was sooooooo independent bless her :lol::lol: , but we always tried to out-manouver her :wink: .

She is a LADY of the first water. I take my hat off to her, provenance that not all young people are worthless. Also extreme respect as a member of our armed forces is due to her anyway ith people like this serving our country we have nothing to fear she puts the Great back into Britain, :clap::clap::clap: