franklyrabbit

Cat Head Wound

Hi

A couple of days ago my Norweigan Forest Cat, Oshie, returned home after a night out and didn't want to eat. He curled up on the sofa, a little dejected and slept. That evening, he was back to his normal self and I assumed, after stroking him and checking him while he slept, that he must have eaten something 'off' because I couldn't find anything wrong with him.

Since yesterday I've noticed that he has a lumpy head which Oshie didn't mind me touching and which I thought must be scabs. That amazed me because he is a completely soppy cat and immediately rolls onto his back, paws in the air, if he is confronted by another cat. Anyway, he seems to have had a 'meeting' with something. Today it has started ooozing white stuff and my partner gentle massaged Oshie's head until it was all out. It's not as lumpy as it was and Oshie has been eating and sleeping since. There is a slight odour to his head now and I wonder if I should take him to the vets or whether this is an over-reaction. He has cleaned his wound himself and I plan to bathe it tonight.

agreed - will probably need antibiotics but you should get away without it being lanced under anaesthetic if the gunk is all out now; one of mine had a similiar thing happen and he let me squeeze it :oops: but still needed a vet trip due to the infection, both my vet and my doctor have told me that cat bites are notorious for getting infected :(

Sounds like a cat bite abcess. You ideally need to bathe it and pick the scab off 2-3 times a day. If it heals up too quickly all that lovely pus will get trapped beneath the skin. If you can trim the hair away around the hole to make it easier to see what is going on. Vet do usually give antibiotic cover.

Thank you so much all of you. I will take your advice. This morning I can see what's going on a lot better as he's clearly been cleaning it and his hair has parted and been damped down. It is a gash/hole of about a quarter inch width and is clear of pus with no smell now. I will get him to the vets for antibiotics and bathe etc.

He seems very well in himself but I wouldn't want him being poisoned or uncomfortable.

Many thanks from Oshie and me :D

Sounds nasty - my cat had something similar a couple of years ago and it required a general anaesthetic and drains inserting, so if you've got it all out you've saved yourself a lot of money! I'd definitely get it checked by the vet, and get some antibiotics.

My vet advised that wounds on the head indicate that the cat is probably the aggressor - wounds on the tail/rear end are inflicted when they are running away, so at least you know Oshie was standing up for himself!

My ginger tom scratched his neck with his back leg one evening and showered us all in pus :vom: He'd been in a fight and unknown to me had festered and burst. I rushed him up to animal hosp in a panic and they patched him up, If its pussy ecuse pun I think it needs vet advice

Hello All

This is Oshie :) Thank you all for your concern and for the help you've given to my friend Lynn over the last couple of days. It has made her feel better - and me too!

I am on the mend. I don't particularly like having my head bathed every few hours but understand that it is going to make be better soon. I have horrible medicine to take and everyone tells me that my head smells a bit 'off' but that it won't be for long - it's just the horrid soft scabs on my head which are slowly coming off and healing.

I won't tell anyone how I got such a hole in my head (I must keep some secrets!) but I've been made to promise that whatever it was that I got up to, I won't be getting up to it again :whistle:

Piperkit and Oshie went out one day

Over the fence and far away

Then up a tree to watch the sky

Full of birds, then Piperkit said "Why?"

Can't we fly, like the birds in the sky?"

Oshie just shrugged and then replied,

"I'd rather be a cat on the ground,

Where our favourite people can always be found ..."

So home they went to have a nap

Cos home is where you find a lap

:anxious::anxious::anxious:

Glad you're feeling better Oshie :D . We get picked on a lot by a big black fluffy ASBO cat that lives near us :( . Our mummies vet got so sick of seeing us that she told our mummy to keep the wounds open and bathe twice a day in boiled salt water, and only take us in to see her if the wounds hadn't healed after a week. The vet was sick of charging my mummy for antibiotics when we were getting beaten up all the time :( .

We stay in a lot more now, and see a lot less of ASBO cat. Hope you get well soon and can play out again soon.

Purrs and licks, Tilley and Oscar.

Sorry to hear you have the same problems Tilley and Oscar. As my paws type, behind me is one of the Burmese twins on the window cill outside! Between looking at the screen and washing bits that need immediate attention, I am outstaring him with all my might!

Although, if I look too fierce (it's me we're talking about here - fluffy and at best wimpy), he'll go get his brother - and we don't want that!

Your vet gave you good advice. My head is healing now and I don't want a repeat performance so I'm thinking of taking your advice and staying in :angel: But then again, it's nice to be sunning myself with the rabbits too, so I guess just as far as the garden will do nicely 8)