daisy duck

Dust baths

If you check out the SPR Centre site they say the dosage is 5% in poultry food, the peanut will just hold 1kg of mash so at this rate you would use 50g which when weighed out looks a lot but a peanut of food lasts my 3 about 5 to 6 days, but as Kate says mine are eating far more mash with the Diatom added............I also sprinkle the Eglu with it every time I give it a complete wash out paying attention to the ends of the roosting bars and I add some to the dustbath.........As you can see I am now an expert on Diatom usage.... :lol:

I wonder if it would be a good idea to put some in my sack of food? I think it might sink to the bottom with pellets.

I gave some Diatom-coated sweetcon to my chickens this evening, and they gobbled it up. I also rubbed it into the edge of every roosting bar, so that the edges were quite smooth. (It did make me think, however, whether it would be a good idea to smooth the edges with some wood-filler so there was nowhere for red mite to live in the first place. Is this a good idea?

I like the wooden roosting bars, and have never seen a red mite on them. It's just the rough sawn ends that are the problem, as the mites hide deep inside them. As I rubbed the Diatom into the sawn ends to make them quite smooth, it reminded me of using filler, and I began to wonder why I didn't just fill them with wood filler and have done with it. But where would the mites go then?

Being a new Eglu owner, I am wondering if I need to provide an extra dust bath for my chooks, they do get a chance to free range in the garden for approx 1/2hr - 3 hrs a day. So as you seem to have had such luck, please can you tell me what size and content your dust baths are? I'm sure two dust baths would take up most of my run!

Thanks

They've made their own dustbaths in the bark/soil medium on which the eglu is placed. There is no sign of mites and I think I might leave off any diatrom usage until i have a problem. The hens seem to be very healthy and I thank omlet for that.

Mine lay down in the veggie garden and dustbathe to their hearts content against the fence! They all cram into the same hole and kick dirt at each other - it doesn't matter how small the hole in the ground is, they've all got to be in it at the same time! They'll make dustbaths in a tiny bit of spilt soil on the ground or under a shrub. It doesn't have to be a formal affair. They'll find their own place!

In the girls old run they had such a deep dust bath you could only see the top of their combs by the time they had squashed themselves in there!!! Now we have moved them they've made themselves another one - not so deep (yet) but they're working on it :wink: I think chickens will find a way to do what they have to do wherever they are, they seem quite resourceful in a dense kind of way bless them!

Yes Lizzie, I am definatly going to try the flower pot idea...they seem to like the pots with flowers in, so should love the ones without, to roll about in..

Mine roll in the flower pots full of the remains of the flowers. And the flowerbeds, the herb garden, my peony is going to sulk next year 'cos they hate having their topsoil disturbed, and they've dug a big hole under the hebe that one of the cats hibernates in on windy days.

Those of you who use sand as a lining in your eglu station, how often do you change it and how? I prefer that to bark, somehow, and will be making the winter station towards the end of this month.

We take anything solid out of the sand fairly regularly and rake it over well. When it's particularly dirty or has disappeared thanks to overenthusiastic dustbathing we either rake out the dirty stuff or top up where it's a bit low. I like to buy a few bags of sand every month and just add to what's left over to give them a nice clean start. Mine aren't in the Eglu run but have a larger enclosure with a sand base.