daisy duck

Dust baths

Can you help

I know its supposed to be good for my girls to have a dust bath,but they seem to be having none of it.I tried a shallow box with just sand, they diddnt go near it ,I even put them in it and they just jumped out . Now I have sorted an area of garden for them I thought I would just tip some sand in a corner,found a bag of sand in the garage luckily I realized just in time it had cement mixed in it 'oops' nearly had a couple of chicken ornaments. Anyway I stuck some of the kids sand down and still wont go near.Am I doing something wrong. :cry:

Don't worry - if your girls don't like the sand the local cats will love it!! :lol:

Seriously though - mine don't do sand either - I bought them some nice play sand and a big pink tub especially but they're just not interested. Unlike Hestia our cat who started digging straight away :roll::roll:

Mine take their dust baths in an empty flower bed at the moment.

Can you help

I know its supposed to be good for my girls to have a dust bath,but they seem to be having none of it.I tried a shallow box with just sand, they diddnt go near it ,I even put them in it and they just jumped out . Now I have sorted an area of garden for them I thought I would just tip some sand in a corner,found a bag of sand in the garage luckily I realized just in time it had cement mixed in it 'oops' nearly had a couple of chicken ornaments. Anyway I stuck some of the kids sand down and still wont go near.Am I doing something wrong. :cry:

Hi Daisy Duck,

:lol::lol: about the cement :!: I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I have sand in the eglu run instead of bark any my chooks love it. :D:D You might find in a couple of days they go and investigate the sand but think it's just a matter of taste. :) (no I don't mean they eat it) :)

Can you help

Hi Daisy Duck,

:lol::lol: about the cement :!: I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I have sand in the eglu run instead of bark any my chooks love it. :D:D You might find in a couple of days they go and investigate the sand but think it's just a matter of taste. :) (no I don't mean they eat it) :)

are my chooks abit odd, as they seem to quite like eating sand!! :?

LSH has just put some sharp sand down in the girls run and they gave it the seal of approval by dustbathing in the sun in it! Doesn't appear to matter what they use so long as it gets to the itchy bits!

... mmm, this all sounds very interesting. I have had some itchy bits for a while now.

I think I might just pop into the garden for a bit, and throw some dry mud and dust up my end... erm, I mean end of my garden.

On the advice of the breeder I got our girls from, I drilled some holes in an old washing up bowl, filled it with a mix of topsoil and ash from the stove. They peck about in it, but otherwise ignore it, preferring to dig a hole just in front of the Eglu door so the dirt flies straight in the Eglu when they flap about! I think they like doing this as they can dig up bugs and worms while they bathe - absolute luxury!

I don't mind them digging up the grass in that area, but it is right in front of the Eglu.

Clare

I read somewhere too about them liking ash. I might give ours a try with it when we get the fire going in the winter. I can't remember why Trish - does it have some good properties to it. I know they recommend you put it in with the soil in your vegge patch....maybe it makes the chickens grow!

On the subject of dustbaths I've just come home from the school run, having felt a bit sorry that I had to shut them in the eglu run, and there they are as happy as larry almost up to their necks in huge side by side dustbaths. :):) My eglu is situated on bark on soil. I need to get some more bark as its really just lush dustbath soil now.

On the subject of dustbaths I've just come home from the school run, having felt a bit sorry that I had to shut them in the eglu run, and there they are as happy as larry almost up to their necks in huge side by side dustbaths. :):) My eglu is situated on bark on soil. I need to get some more bark as its really just lush dustbath soil now.

Being a new Eglu owner, I am wondering if I need to provide an extra dust bath for my chooks, they do get a chance to free range in the garden for approx 1/2hr - 3 hrs a day. So as you seem to have had such luck, please can you tell me what size and content your dust baths are? I'm sure two dust baths would take up most of my run!

Thanks

Hi Jackie

Mine have dug their own dust bath in the garden, but I have provided a man-made one in the run as recommended by my 'batty chicken lady'. I found an old small (round) washing up bowl, drilled a few holes in the bottom and filled it with a mix of garden soil, potting compost, fire ash and some Diatom (for mites). They love it and wiggle about like mad in it. I also added some grit after I noticed that they also peck at it.

Don't know about you, but I love watching them roll in it, they contort and roll into the funniest of positions and really seem to love it!

I bought some kids play sand from Wyevale today and put it into an old seed tray. After putting it into the run all 3 chooks starting eating it initially (!) then took turns to stand in the tray and kick the sand out, then finally roll around in it. They seem happy enough. Hopefully my mail order Diatom will turn up tomorrow and i can add some to the tray and feed.

Just a question, how often do you experienced chook-keepers do the Diatom thing. Do you add it to the feed every day or just now and again, as most of you say a kilo will last 12 months? Thanks as always.

When my chickens had mites a few weeks ago, I was putting Diatom everywhere every day. Now that they are clean, I have lapsed and don't do it at all. I don't think this is a good idea, however, and I will get it out again this weekend.

I suspect that a sensible person would put some in their chickens' dustbath and on the ends of the bars approximately once a week. My inclination is only to attack the chickens personally with it if a problem arises.

Perhaps you should also put a little in their feed once a week, as internal parasites are harder to spot?