MadAboutChooks

Leaving the cube door open at night

Hi There,

I'm sure that someone must have asked this question before, I am getting a 'Tony' built tomorrow yipee... and am planning to leave the door open but am unsure as to whether to leave the food out for them. Thinking that they will be VERY dissapointed when they get up at the crack of dawn only too find no food!! On the other hand I dont want to encourage vermin! What does everyone else do ...Please... :?:

My girls are in a cube in a WIR too. I leave the door open every night, I only closed it in the extreme cold weather we had. I also leave the food out all night too. Although I know some people do take it in, the wire we have is only 1"x1" so hopefully keeping out any unwanted furry visitors.

We did have a ratty problem in the autumn and covered the food up with upturned bins until we found where they were getting in. We sorted that and put poison down and, touch wood, havent had any since.

:D

I leave the food out all the time and I know the chooks head straight for it in the morning! If I've forgotten to fill it up the night before they are VERY cross by the time I get out there!!

However I also have no problems with vermin (fingers crossed not so far anyway).

I leave the food out all the time and I know the chooks head straight for it in the morning! If I've forgotten to fill it up the night before they are VERY cross by the time I get out there!!

However I also have no problems with vermin (fingers crossed not so far anyway).

Same here as there would be hell on if there was no food for them in the morning and I'm not getting up at some ungodly hour to put it out for them. I need my beauty sleep!

Aside from the fact that I close my Eglu doors, our cheejy mice are in there while the girls are up, but the very second the last one goes to bed they are out there,

I reckon there is plenty on the ground for them with out them climbing in and weeing etc straight on there food. Found one drowned in the glug once, hope it hadn't been in there long!

(so I take the food in!)

I leave my door open (although like ANH I have 4 girls that have taken to al fresco sleeping on perches in the WIR :wink: ) and leave the food out, but in addition to the grubs I also use a treadle feeder which is vermin proof. Although I haven't had any problems with vermin *Debs touches wood*

I leave the two Eglu doors open and the food is left out all night. I have a solid slab base under my WIR which prevents entry from unwanted visitors. Before the WIR was built I had to bring the Grub 'n' Glug in at night as the rats would tunnel into the Eglu Run hunting for food.

Andrew