scarlettohara

Cream Legbars

I had a Cream Legbar (now lives as part of a my brothers Cockerals hareem) and she was a great layer, a solid bird and reasonably quiet. She was a little flighty and quite hard to get hold of though but I think that was more due to her low status in my flock.

Oh and she doesn`t lay blue eggs, they are a mucky olive green but still coloured!

Depending on where you are in Herts have you tried Thornes? They normally have Columbine/skylines and also have CLB when they are selling the PB :D

not sure how difficult they are to get but i'd recommend them to anyone my rusty is only small and only lays a small blue egg but she's one of my friendly girls. she's also one of the first to come running at treat time.

she is starting to get a stubbern streak through but that just adds to her caracter

Hi There, I know that a place in Dorking, Surrey, called Cooped Up has some columbines at the moment, as only yesterday the lady told me she had some. Not sure how far that is from you though! :?:

It's not that far and I think I saw them on the breeders list so will give her a call. Thanks :)

Hi there,

If you are still struggling in the future then let me know. I currenly have 2 clutches of cream legbar eggs under 2 broody hens. The parents are from Chatworth House stock and lay amazing sky blue eggs. They have been fostered by a broody gold top and a broody warren/RIR cross. Obviously age might be an issue for you but would be more than happy to grow them on to the desired age.

That is all the details I can give at the minute. Hopefully some hens will hatch as well as cockerals this time.

Good luck!

Dan

It's a shame you are so far away as the Devon Traditional Breeds Centre has some great Cream Legbars available at the moment.

http://www.dtbcentre.co.uk/legbar.htm

You could always drive down and make a day of it...it's a great place to visit and return with one or two beautiful new girls :lol: Go on, you know you want to :D

Meep Meep, my CL, is a great little character. She is much more inquisitive than all the others, always the first to bed of an evening, running up and down the coop ladder ushering the others in :lol: No eggs yet though as she is still only 10 weeks.

I got my legbars from The Wernlas Collection and am delighted with them. It's a bit of a hike up to near Ludlow in Shropshire, but we just made a day's outing of it. They have superb breeding stock and keep their birds immaculately.

Can't recommend them highly enough. Have a look at their website or ring them.

Thanks everyone :D Kirsty from Hens at Home emailed and said she would reserve me 2 skylines for end May. I did contact cooped up but she said hers were going fast and I'm not able to get there next week so said to let them go. That will be 8 in the cube - will I have room for 2 legbars as well :lol: