CrazyDaizy

aubiose and hemcore

ok three things

my hemcore goes on the compost

if auboise is a french word then I would have though it would be -bwa (or similar) you know no s sounds and all nasaly french

and does anyone elses chickens just kick all their hemcore out the sides

we had it all nice, bark round the outside with hemcore in the middle. now its just a small about of hemcore in the run and bark and hemcore mixed around the outside and spilling over th edge where its been kicked really hard.

does anyone elses chickens just kick all their hemcore out the sides.

Yup! Put in a nice new, thick layer and within 24 hours, most of it has been kicked out - forming a nice new, thick ridge along the skirt! Have thought about suggesting to Omlet that they make the run with a solid bit at the bottom to keep it all in. The hens don't seem to mind, they did the same with bark - it's when they are scratching around in it for things, they kick it behind them.

PS I too thought it would be 'aw-bwase', but on closer inspection, it is actually spelt IO - I thought it was 'bois' as in French for wood! but it's not. Hemcore is much easier to say!

Hi,

I dampened the aubiouse down. It says on the package that you should dampen it down to activate its sponge-like qualities and it does seem to work.

It did also say to spray with disinfectant to deter horses from eating it and getting colic. I decided that as the chooks forage through the aubiouse to look for treats, it was best not to add disinfectant, although it does worry me a bit about what will happen if they eat too much of it.

I too was unsure about the pronounciation when I went to buy the aubiouse. I was quite relieved when the feed barn staff pronounced it the same way as me: O-B-OSE.

Blanche and Stella adore kicking the Hemcore about. While we're tidying up the eglu and run and refreshing the Hemcore at the weekends they peck about the garden happily until - from a distance - they spot the new Hemcore and make a mad dash back back into the run with the express purpose of s"Ooops, word censored!"ing and scratching around in it. They're not satisfied until they've flung it all over the place!

I wonder if having your compost too near your hens will increase the rat risk? We have been meanng to sort out a compost for a while now - I am going to position mine well away from the eglu in case the compost attracts rats - but I may be wrong? :?

I have found a shop close to me that can order in the hemcore and the aubiose for about £7 a bale :lol:

Hi Sarah - I've sent you a reply to your Inbox. Where in Lancashire are you and which shop will order in the hemcore? Our chicks will be going on to hemcore/bark when they've trashed the grass they are on very soon.

Mm, I've noticed they really kick Aubiose around. I've not yet tried bark/woodchips - is it really worth continuing with the Auboise, given it just ends up on the wrong side of the run?

I wonder if it's worth going for a good layer of woodchips/bark, and then a small layer of Aubiose on top of that.. anyone do that?

I've also read that you need to dampen the hemcore / auboise to 'activate' it. But how damp is damp and how long does it take to dry? We've just used it without dampening but i think i will change that this weekend. Also hubby is building their big run this weekend. It is going to be layered with auboise (can get that 5 mins away as opposed to 40 mins for hemcore) and have kick boards so that it all stays in :D

O-B-OSE I think! :wink::lol:

*Makes a note*

Phew! Thank goodness for that! I went to pick some up and initially asked for Hemcore cus I could say it!

They didn't have any so I said 'Ahh, yes, I believe there is a similar product . . ?' (note cunning pause) and the guy said, 'you mean aubiouse'

Cue massive internal sigh of relief as I was about to break into a chorus of Chris Rea's Aubergé, then the whole way home I was 'O-B-OSE, O-B-OSE, O-B-OSE' and of course had a cup of tea and totally forgot :?