sew-1

Rats? Honest answers please

Hi everyone,

I am very seriously considering getting an eglu and 2 hens however, I have read that if you have chickens you automatically get rats and as we have cats i don't want them bringing fleas!

Please can you tell me, honestly, how much of a problem it is and how do you deal with it?

Many thanks,

Susan

I had a bad problem with rats im just getting on top of it i tried poisoning them trapping them and now we shoot them we shot 7 on sunday 1 monday and now i seem to be getting a bit of a rest from them but they will be back dont let this put you off as you say you have cats so you maybe safe just make sure you clean all the food up when i first got my birds years ago i never saw a rat for about 3 years it was only when my neighbours moved in and didnt know what a rubbish bin was they started to come in my garden and learnt where the food bowls were but i now keep them under control because it dosent matter if my neighbours are difficult i would still get the blame because of my birds leanne.

ive never had rats in my garden before ,but i moved house 2 weeks ago and my new garden was very overgrown and when i was strimming it down i saw a rat(picture me throwing strimmer and running in to house screaming ) and i found nibble marks in the bottom of m feed bags . but im guessing because their is food around the rats will stay . but they were here before me ,but you can be sure if someone reports the rats i will get the blame .

ive put poison down(much to the dismay of my ladies as they have to stay in the run lol and got a metal bin for my food all i can do is try to keep all food away in the hope they will leave

My compost is the thing in my garden that attracts rats as does my neighbour who uses mountains of bird food and has a pond (rats need to drink water frequently to survive). I don't understand the flea connection though. Where do you think the fleas will be coming from?

Your cats will already be in contact with rats...they are everywhere, whether you see them or not.

Keep your feed indoors or in good quality metal containers, leave no feed laying around, sweep up any spillages immediately...rats thrive where there is good access to food. If there is not the food to sustain them, they tend not to linger.

We haven't seen any rats, or signs of, since we've had the hens (though I am sure there are some around). I would just reiterate the other advice, good hygiene, keeping food in metal bin, etc. We have cats who regularly bring in mice and birds as well as the odd rabbit and squirrel and they are just as likely to catch fleas from those. Regular use of frontline or an alternative seems to keep our cats flea-free.

I don't have my hens yet so I will see what difference it makes regarding rats once I do. However where I live we have a brook that runs right along the back of the whole length of our road. Over the years we've had the odd rat in the garden and some of our neighbours have called in the council as they've seen so many. The council sent out someone to us on one occasion and he was quite specific in what rats look for and what types of gardens they are attracted to. It's not chickens or other pets that attracts them but the food that is left out, so it is good advice that has already been given regarding taking food bowls in at night and either keeping the food containers in metal bins if they are in a shed or keeping them indoors. We have a pond in our garden and the rat man said it wouldn't make any difference to the rats, so not sure about them being attracted to ponds really. They do like compost heaps apparently and any gardens that are not kept clean and tidy will attract them too.

Been keeping hens in the back garden for two years, and have never seen any signs of rats. We do have mice in the garage, but they were there before :roll: We have a sonic mouse repeller, and that seems to work. Keeping all feed safely locked away is the best preventative. I don't think you are any more likely to get rats than if you keep rabbits, guinea pigs etc.

Chickens do not automatically = rats. Good housekeeping is key i think. Dont leave food and water where they can get at it. We get rats usually once a year but have done long before we got the chickens, we live near a river and a farm so they are inevitable, good bait boxes get rid of them......until the next time :roll:

But i wouldnt say its the chickens, so dont let that put you off. :D

I have 8 chickens at the end of the garden in a WIR, a big chook poo compost heap, 2 border terriers and 2 cats (both excellent murderers :shock: ) I don't put any food onto my compost heap and have not seen one rat or been bought a dead one since I got my chickens :P

Meant to say I rarely treat my dogs/cats for fleas as they never get them.

Had my girlies for 18 months, and as others have said not seen any rats, but as it is well known that you are never less than 10 feet from one I'm sure they are about. Have had mice in shed but my two cats sorted them out. I'm sure all wild animals carry fleas, hedgehogs, rabbits etc. Just make sure cats have some form of prevention like frontline and worm them regularly.

I keep the chooks feed in a large plastic bin with a tight fitting lid - so far so good.

Most laying hens will be fed on layers mash or pellets as this has all the nutrients etc in to keep them fed and healthy. Most owners make sure that they restrict treats to late afternoon to make sure that their hens eat what's good for them first, as you will find Chickens eat anything!!!! :lol::lol::lol: If there was a treat list it would be endless!!!! I'm sure there will be a thread on here somewhere but this is what I 'treat' my girls to:

any green veg (cabbage, lettuce, outer leaves of cauliflour)

tomatoes (they like the cherry ones best)

corn

cheese rind

cooked bacon rind

I could go on and on.............but I think the general rule of thumb is not to overdo it! and trust me, there will be no treats left in the woodchip (better then bark) they will find everything!!!!!

Go on.....get some chooks!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Just to confirm what everyone else has said, chooks per se won't attract rats, its the free food they like :D Years ago we had rats pre-chooks and the pest man said they were a fact of life, living under sheds and in/around compost heaps in many gardens. He got rid of them with poison and since then neighbours have had the odd one but actually I've not seen one since!

Hi, I have kept chickens for 3 years now and I live about 50 meters from the a railway and have never seen a rat in my garden that was alive. (My cats brought one home once, no idea where they got it from).

Now living near the railway I automaticlly expected to get rats but like everybody else has said, good housekeeping is the key. Never leave food on the floor and if you spill any make sure you clean up every last peice because once a rat finds a bit of food in your garden they will keep coming back.

I do keep an air rifle with telescopic scope in the house and Im a crack shot as many a wild rabbit could tell you. So just incase they ever do come I am ready for them.

:twisted:(brown rabbit)

We actually have less now. There have always been rats here but having the chickens made me more enthusiastic about getting rid of them, in case neighbours blamed the chickens' presence. I haven't seen a rat for ages now. We use a combination of poison, air rifle and the back of a rake.

Metal bins (rats will gnaw plastic & they are false economy)

I intermittently put proper bait boxes down around the run.

Rats are attracted like most wildlife by the free food and also will eat their poo.

We had rats before the chickens and as long as they stay outside thats good by me. But we are not over run and I just put the bait down when I remember(ie about 3 times a year. Then I forget for a while.

Re bait just be careful if your cats are likely to eat a dead rat , I have a dog and he wouldnt touch a rat dead..he will eat most other things though.

Its really not that bad a problem no different to keeping a rabbit or guinea pig(except you get eggs too)

good luck donald