Bramble

Dried Meal Worms

If you find yourself spending a fortune on them (as I do...), Ann Kennedy pet supplies online are the best price I've found - £30 for a 3kg sack. A big initial outlay but works out at the equivalent of £1 per tub. I just fill up the tubs I'd aquired and feed from there, that way I don't go overboard and bankrupt myself. :lol:

Oh, and I won't ever let them see the mealworm sack again. It's the closest they ever came to staging a full scale riot and I spilt about a quarter of the bag in the ensuing frenzy :doh: . Just when I was about to persuade them to go back in the run too.

Isn't it weird - they seem to just go to dust, it's not like there's anything inside them, but as you all say the chucks go absolutely MENTAL for them, I was kind of hoping they wouldn't like them 'cos i'm a bit squeamish about them, but no luck there. £30 bag sounds like excellent value, I bet there's a whole lot of mealworms in one of those!!!???

Don't know how chickens know whether they like them or not, they gobble them up so quickly :lol:

Every few months we buy 2KG for about £23.00 on ebay - dried ones as I just can't bring myself to deal with live ones. :vom:

Lisa P

Know what you mean about the live ones, the dried ones are bad enough (even they look like they're moving) but I could not deal with live ones :vom::vom::vom:

I don't want to know HOW you know what they taste like, do I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????? :vom::vom::vom:

:shock::lol:

TheLurch, how on EARTH do you know what they taste like...

Well I the pack came from eBay, I had a few beers that evening and they looked tempting, especially the smell.

Got the munchies and the rest is history!

Go on, try one, you know you want one

I'm with Lurch on this one...they are very, very tasty, considering their small size. The taste seems to last a very, very long time on the palate and this is due to their high fat content. Given that the hens have taste buds, I can fully appreciate why they like them so much. I wouldn't say pork scratchings, though...close, but not exactly. There's a touch of saltiness to them, but I was reminded more of 'chicken' flavoured crisps.

SWMBO totally freaked when she first got the tub as, as others have mentioned, they did seem to be quite animated in the tub. The static electricity in the tub was just enough to give the very lightweight bodies a little lift. Shaking the tub had a similar effect.

Of all the treats offered the girls, the mealworms are certainly the most effective.

Regards,

Bruce

Now, I wouldn't say they tasted like pork scratchings...they have more a Twiglet flavour to me.

I am a firm believer in whatever I feed my chooks I should taste it first to see if it is OK :whistle:

And, I think they taste like Twiglets.

Our ladies do not like the live worms, so I am spared that tasting session....

Anyway, I didn't think that chooks had tastebuds?????

I can't bring myself (vegetarian) to feed live ones.

I'm not that bothered about the way the dried ones looked...but the saturday girl in Tescos really freaked out the last time I bought a tub!

My girls absolutely adore them. I put them in one of those treat balls for small animals, together with some dried corn. It keeps them happily playing football for a while.